What Meal........

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated peas and carrots! I spent many hours staring at a plateful of them, because I was not allowed to leave the table until I cleaned my plate!

Now I love peas and can eat carrots.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spam is good if you slice it thin and pan fry it until it's crispy.
Pan fried SPAM is quite tasty. Sometimes Mom added the SPAM to rice as a sort of "fried rice" and that would be dinner.

There was this ethnic soup Mom made once that I refused to eat. Besides strange dried herbs and stuff from the ethnic market, the soup had whole baby chicks. Mom had this huge old glass jar with whole dressed chicks in some kind of liquid stored in the basement for years. I don't know if the chicks were raw or cooked. The liquid might have been alcohol of some sort (vodka? It was clear). The sight of the chicks falling apart in the jar grossed me out :barfgreen::barf: I'm pretty sure the jar of chicks is still in the basement:cringe:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My sister and I hated that venison so much we would sneak down to the basement, take a few jars and roll them far under the large shelving that held all our canned goods, so that we could get rid of it faster.

We were never caught but about forty years later we had to confess when my mom removed the shelving and was mystified why there were so many jars of venison underneath it.
What a great story! Clever you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Pork brains that came in a can scrambled with eggs. Yuck.
There was this ethnic soup Mom made once that I refused to eat. Besides strange dried herbs and stuff from the ethnic market, the soup had whole baby chicks. Mom had this huge old glass jar with whole dressed chicks in some kind of liquid stored in the basement for years. I don't know if the chicks were raw or cooked. The liquid might have been alcohol of some sort (vodka? It was clear). The sight of the chicks falling apart in the jar grossed me out :barfgreen::barf: I'm pretty sure the jar of chicks is still in the basement:cringe:

:winner: :barf::barf::barf:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
No, no. Nope, nope, nope. That is just disgustingly vile in so many ways. :barf::barf::barf:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes; LTS3 LTS3 absolutely won this thread. :barfgreen:

People around here like scrapple but I've never tried in in the 24 years I've lived here. I will try most things once. It's just not a priority. My Grandpa always talked about growing up hunting so they'd have some meat. That could be just about anything. He said his mother always tossed it in the pot of sauce it then it all tastes the same. I'm sure the tomato sauce tenderized the meats too. But I still don't think I've ever had squirrel or woodchuck. I always enjoyed the venison and sausage made from my uncle's hunting trips; but thankfully my Grandparents left the meats from the depression back in the depression. ;)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. I probably should not have read this right after eating!:lol:
Brains and scrambled eggs were pretty common here along with some other foods that might not be eaten elsewhere. We lived on the water and had a LOT of seafood since we could catch it. I no longer eat crab. I can say that when with a friend ,( we were taught to eat whatever we were served at others people’s homes) I had my least favorite. My worst memory is of that possum. :eek2: Never again! :please:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Watch any episode of Bizzare Foods and you'll see popular foods eaten in those countries that are considered :barf::barf: to Americans and others. Like balut, fertilized egg with a developing chick inside. It's a popular street food in the Philippines. Even in the US, there are odd things eaten like "Rocky Mountain oysters" aka bull testicles.