What language did you take in high school?

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took Spanish for 5 and a half years and went to Spain my senior year of high school. It was great! My Spanish has since gotten rusty but I'm planning on taking Italian next year in college.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did Italian for five years in primary school, and then German and Japanese at high school. Then my first degree was in Japanese, French, Linguistics and Philosophy (which has a huge language, or `manipulation of language' component). I also taught Japanese for three years.

Currently, I am teaching myself Russian - and it's pretty hard going!!

Language - learning other languages, and also learning how language itself works - is a real passion of mine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Nothing....everyone else was being smart and saying stuff in other languages so I had to chime in in and leave her a little message. Don't think anyone got it.
I thought I was funny.
That's the problem with Latin, no one gets it except other people who have taken it. We are a small but very funny group of people.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
French in grades 3-11, Latin in grades 8-11. Enjoyed both, did well in both; both are pretty rusty now, but I can function in a pinch.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...I took French in 8th grade..and still remember the basics.

Then in 9th and 10th grade I took German. I remember being in a group and we discovered the German word for Diahrrea (sp?) and did a group project that was a TV commercial for anti-diahrrea pills.

I also remember I was better with my German grammar than my English Grammar...I received A's in German, but B-'s in English.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I took 4 years of French in high school. I think it helped me more with my English than anything else. About all I remember is what we learned the first day.

Bonjour, comment alley vous? Tres bien, merci.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
4 years of Portuguese in High School, but since I moved away from the area I never got to use it and can't remember much now. That was 30 years ago!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

We were forced to take French. Or else I never would have, I hate french
Does it help living in a bilingual country?

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
English is my first language and I took French from grade 1 to grade 9 and I took German my first 2 years in university. I also know a little bit of spanish my friends taught me and some Italian.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
English is supposed to be my 2nd language! Malay is inbred, French for 9 years (I understand now but can't speak), Japanese for 4 years (middle school - again I understand and not speak....

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took 4 years of Spanish, / Greek and also a Greek Etymology class (greek roots), Hebrew i just knew from all of those around me at synogague, and I can also speak a little italian and french. I love languages and especially love Romantic languages (Italian, French,Spanish...) I sang a LOT as well- so I also preformed a lot of German, Italian, and Russian songs as well.
I'm always up for learning new languages. The ones i'm best at though are definitely English and Spanish. / At the moment, i'm trying to learn some Vietnamese so that I can speak more to Colin's mom in her native tounge
It's a really cool language, but i don't know much of it.

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took German. Unfortunately they didn't start teaching Japanese until I was already a year or two into the German program.
I don't remember much German because it's been so long, though I can count, say the alphabet, wish you a happy birthday, and say a few other random things.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Spanish from 7th grade until my sophmore year of college. I can barely speak it but I wish I could better. I know basic words and phrases and can figure out translations but it takes awhile. I took it in college as a replacement for math classes for a graphic design major.

Then I took French when I switched majors to Ary History. I HATED French as much as I hated Art History. I kept reverting back to Spanish and my teacher would see all these mystery words on my French essays that were really Spanish hehe.

Then I quit going to school for art altogether so I don't need to know any more languages. I start vet tech school in January and I don't need languages for that either.

I would love to know Japanese though. I don't watch anime so much lately but still would be cool. I am dying to go to Japan.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Spanish in 8th grade (it was mandatory to graduate to high school). I did well in it (Better than English). When I moved to another area the following year, the only option was the normal English classes. No foreign languages was taught at the high school (it's a rural school) when I went there (they offer Spanish now). I'd love to learn other languages and refresh myself in the Spanish language.