What kind of litterbox does everyone use?

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats use your regular, run-of-the-mill litter pans. They are the kind that has the lip that comes apart so that you can lock in a litter pan liner (though I don't use liners in my litter boxes). I like having the rim because it helps contain the litter when the kitties scratch. They're not big-time scratchers, but any litter containment is good in my book.

I also have a couple of small, plain litter boxes for the kitties' crate and carriers (in case of an emergency or travel). They are tiny, but would work in a pinch if necessary.

As far as how many litter pans I have, well, lets see. I have two in my bedroom presently as well as two in the laundry room downstairs, one in the guest bathroom downstairs, and one in the spare bedroom upstairs. Oh, and I also have one in the family room in the basement (it's in the walk-in down there). The basement is not fully finished and the second portion is closed off and just for storage so I only need one down there. I may have a bunch of boxes, but it makes cleaning a lot easier and it means there is always a box available to one of the cats. I'd rather have to scoop more or have litter pans around the house than have cats not using their boxes. And, it works for us.

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ryffian

I have three cats and I have three covered litter boxes like this, only with the little door flap thing removed.

I too have a flap-less one like this for Storm.

I splurged on the litter lifter the other day when I was a PSP. I AM IN
LOVE
with this thing! It is the best scooper ever. I probably only have half of what I used to scoop in the bag when I'm done cleaning the box now.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Currently 6 cats using 5 litter trays. I use Oz-Pet sieve trays with Oz-Pet litter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ I tried a tray like that 13 years ago, with different litters, and wasn't impressed.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by railNtrailcwgrl

I too have a flap-less one like this for Storm.

I splurged on the litter lifter the other day when I was a PSP. I AM IN
LOVE
with this thing! It is the best scooper ever. I probably only have half of what I used to scoop in the bag when I'm done cleaning the box now.

I have the same, and I Love it too... one for each box - the BEST!!!

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

I have the same, and I Love it too... one for each box - the BEST!!!
Oh I know! At first I wasn't sold on spending $8 on a pooper scooper, but I'm so glad I put back the Turbo-Scratcher and got this instead.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With a dog in our house, uncovered litter boxes aren't an option. Covered ones have to be barricaded since the dog can stick his head in easily. I'm hoping this will solve that problem. The cats used the one I put out overnight, so all is well so far. I will introduce the other two slowly.

There was an article in my newspaper this morning about cats being given to shelters and the number one cause was eliminating in the house where they shouldn't. The guidelines they gave for successful litter box use were:
Open boxes, not covered
Clean, clean, clean
1 per cat plus 1
No litter boxes near their food
Fine grain litter

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I have one cat and I use a large plastic storage bin from Walmart instead of an actual litter box. My cat is a mega kicker, and without high sides tends to kick more litter OUT of the box than anything. Even still, I have to sweep a bunch b/c she tracks litter everywhere. The footprint of the box is about the size of a regular litter box, but the sides are about 18" tall, and it is clear.
I have 2 boxes - one the size of yours and one the same but with lower sides, abt. 8 inches. I find that the clear storage ones are easier to scrape the bottoms than the traditional litter pans. I too have a digger who throws litter everywhere, and she is only content to do her business on the bottom of the pan, where it sticks, which makes it hard to scrape.

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr
Is what we had for Topaz.. Roomie just uses a basic Covered pan. As we have 6 dogs Combined..and they All Love Kitty Crunchies. We have to turn the booda towards the wall..and put things next to it..so, the dogs cant get in easy..and she has hers facing her dresser.. where they have to jump over it. Lol And Both cats use each others.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the booda dome with steps and absolutely love it. It keeps our dogs out of it(they are too big to get their heads in and around the stairs) and it also seems to keep Peyton and Phoenix from tracking litter all across the bedroom!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Various storage containers, some rubbermaid and some store brand?, something like that. I have extras for quick swap, so I'm not going through all of them.
I do have some of the rubbermaid red roughneck (their name for it) ones that are used as uncovered boxes. The rest have holes cut in the front because Sherman isn't smart enough for top entry...

5 litter boxes for 7 cats. They only use 4 of the boxes.
the above only I have 5 boxes for 5 cats .. and just lids off

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have four cats living with me and three covered litter boxes. Two of the boxes are very large and one is a bit smaller. Three of the cats are also trying to dig their way to China and I do have unneutered males so I have to have covered boxes. I've removed the flap doors though 'coz the kitties aren't really fond of them.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

Mine looks like this, very basic and boring:

I have used the exact same type of litter box over the years for various cats, except I get the extra large deep size, and it has worked out really well. BTW, my current cat, Sweetie, is my only cat.

rod

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

I have one cat and one litter box. I just don't have a good spot for a second one, and I've never had box trouble with Holland.
Mine is a plain plastic one that I got for about $5. I used to use a plastic liner on it, but Holland would just scratch holes in it, so when I changed litter I had to put a bag of used litter into another bag.
Now when I change the litter out I just wash out the box with bleach and water.

Mine looks like this, very basic and boring:

ETA: Kara, I bought a dustbuster JUST to be able to easily sweep up stray litter by Holland's box in my bathroom. She buries sometimes, sometimes not, but I'd have to vacuum every day to avoid having pieces of litter somewhere... it's amazing the places I find lone little pieces of kitty litter...
I've got the very same litter box, only blue. I've got three cats, one super-big male and two females. We sometimes use a smaller litter box as well when the weather is humid and the sand lasts half as long; for some reason it lasts longer like that. The cats hardy ever throw out any sand from the box.

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 6 cats, i work overnights, and during my 4 day work week i sleep, eat & work. I also have a husband that is allergic to soiled litter. I have 3 litter robots and 1 covered pan (i have a picky female that will not use the litter robot) I absolutely love them. I pull the bottom tray out, tie up the garbage bag full of kitty waste, replace the garbage bag and slide the tray back in once a week. I do scoop the one litter pan daily. I fortunately found 2 of the litter robots on craigslist for a good price. I don't think I could ever go back to all regular litter pans. The cats and I are spoiled

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use clear Sterilite brand storage containers from a discount store. They're a nice size, plus they were only $3 each. The boys like them much better than the pricier ones I had before and they are easy to clean.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would LOVE one of those self cleaning litter boxes but one they expensive and two I think I would have more fun with it than the cats would LOL! Hercules freaks out if I even walk into the cat room while he is near the litter box let alone have a box that cleans itself...He would probably think the CIA is after him...LOL

odderjames

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have used every litter box there is and am in love with the Omega Paw self cleaning litter box with clumping litter. Everytime I clean it I think, I love this litter box

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FootersOwnsMe

I also have a husband that is allergic to soiled litter.
As in "allergic" or as in "being a man" (no offense intended towards any of the male cat lovers on this site)? lol