What is your religious background?

julianne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to vote other - I am an Messianic Jew, so I should have voted Judaism and Christianity.

Juli

daidreamer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually I have no religion, not that I don't want one just have never been baptised
My family actually are Jehovah's witnesses. My stepmom and father that is. We were brought up in it but we never were baptised and I don't go to the meetings now but I feel I am missing something. Being baptised would mean a great deal to me but being baptised is more then just a dip in water it is actually practicing faith isn't it? So since I have no practice because I don't go to church I am not sure what to do.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I grew up in a Christian family, and about a year and a half ago, became a Scientologist. ("Convert" isn't the right word, since you can be a Scientologist and be a Christian, or anything else, too...it is something that can go along with other religions...there are Baptist ministers that are Scientologists.)

Anyway, I've been the happiest I've ever been in my life since becomming a Scientologist! If anyone has any questions about Scientology, feel free to ask!!

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DaiDreamer,

Generally speaking you have to be going into church membership to be baptized, but as a chaplain trainee I've known of quite a few people who were baptized while hospitalized simply because they asked the chaplain. We even had a nice certificate that we'd give to patients. Most churches accept a baptism as valid so long as you are at least sprinkled with water and it has to be done in "in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost." I was actually baptized by my mom, in secret, because my dad was Baptist. Even the Catholic Church and Episcopal churches recognize this as a valid baptism. The Church of the Brethren believes that anyone who has lead you to Christ can baptize you, so even a 12 year old can baptize another 12 year old. That being said, maybe you can find someone to sprinkle you and say the magic words
If you are ever in my hospital I'd do it.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

I can't wrap my mind around most religions' characterizing me as a second-class citizen, because I'm a woman.
I agree whole-heartedly. It's one of the MAJOR reasons I left my last church...they were VERY into women being the followers of their husbands, and women not counseling men. And to think it was all from a scripture that was taken out of context, and that the culture and reason for what Paul said was not taken into account AT ALL. They just decided that it meant that women couldn't teach. REDICULOUS.

daidreamer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

DaiDreamer,

Generally speaking you have to be going into church membership to be baptized, but as a chaplain trainee I've known of quite a few people who were baptized while hospitalized simply because they asked the chaplain. We even had a nice certificate that we'd give to patients. Most churches accept a baptism as valid so long as you are at least sprinkled with water and it has to be done in "in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost." I was actually baptized by my mom, in secret, because my dad was Baptist. Even the Catholic Church and Episcopal churches recognize this as a valid baptism. The Church of the Brethren believes that anyone who has lead you to Christ can baptize you, so even a 12 year old can baptize another 12 year old. That being said, maybe you can find someone to sprinkle you and say the magic words
If you are ever in my hospital I'd do it.
Thank you

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm brought up as a catholic, but since i moved to germany i dont go to church anymore and i dont really care about religion?

babybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was baptised a Roman Catholic, but I am not religious. My parents got me baptised because our whole family is catholic, but they always said that when I am old enough, I will decide for myself what I belive or if I choose to be religious.