What is your religious background?

shem

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

I thought Methodist was different to C of E, as our little Village Churches were separate!
Me too.. I'm Methodist too

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

I've just asked a co worker here and now he said the two main ones are catholic and protestant, so methodist, C of E, and any other goes under being protestant?!.

I'm a Methodist, end of!!!
I'm Methodist too Chick!

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was born and raised Catholic, and if someone asks my religion I usually say non practicing catholic. My parents are very big church people and forced me to be involved although I was never really sure what I believed. Religion is not something for children I think because you really need to experience it to understand it, not just be told. Children can't really comprehend the deep spiritual side and they just kind of get brainwashed. I feel it is important though to find some sort of reasoning to the universe rather than considering it just a big cosmic mistake, so I hope to find what I'm looking for in the future.

catlover7731

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Atheist
. I have studied some Judiasm and christianity. I really am interested in native american religion( I love the thought of a superior being in everything around us , in every rock and tree).

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was baptised Catholic, then my parents switched and we started to go to a Presbyterian church, and now I'm not associated with any particular denomination. I appreciate the teachings of each religion and find quite a few interesting to learn about. Buddhism especially. Native American spirituality is also something close to my heart since I have quite a bit of Cherokee in me and my grandfather knew so much about it. I'm under the belief that "church" is what and where you make it, and am ok not really belonging anywhere. I've got my spirituality and that's good enough for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

The Methodists are Protestant- Protestantism is basically based on the theologies of men like Luther (who started the Reformation), Wesley (who founded Methodism), Calvin, (who founded Calvinism), and a bunch of other guys who I'm too tired to think about. Church of England, Baptists, Wesleyans, Methodists, Lutherans, AME, Church of God, Pentacostals, Presbyterians, etc etc.. all Protestant. Protestantism is more a movement of Chrisitans. Protestants are are group of folks who would call themselves "Bible believing Christians" not that a Catholic isn't a Bible believing Christian, but if you grew up in the Baptist church like I did you'd know what I mean. Being Protestant does not mean you ascribe to the same theology of all other Protestants, after the Reformation there have been a lot of splits- thus a lot of different denominations.

I am going on and on, and prolly not making sense.

Ok- Three main tenents of Protestantism-

1. The surpremacy of the bible
2. Justification by faith alone
3. The universal priesthood of all believers

Justification means God forgives you because God wants to forgive you- not because of any good deed you did on earth. Bible supremacy means the Bible is the sole source of truth. Priesthood of all believers means we are all to be active in the life of the Church- we don't need any kind of authority or intercession on our behalf.
I think you did very well.

My father was Lutheran and mother is Pentacostal and are both Protestant.

The Christian - Other category was meant for the LDS (Mormons) and other offshoots of Christianity.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by annabelle33

I was born and raised Catholic, and if someone asks my religion I usually say non practicing catholic. My parents are very big church people and forced me to be involved although I was never really sure what I believed. Religion is not something for children I think because you really need to experience it to understand it, not just be told. Children can't really comprehend the deep spiritual side and they just kind of get brainwashed. I feel it is important though to find some sort of reasoning to the universe rather than considering it just a big cosmic mistake, so I hope to find what I'm looking for in the future.
My thoughts exactly!

I myself have experimented with several religions, finding none to my liking, though I am currently dabbling in Zen Buddhism and used to go a Friends Society youth group that I LOVED. I worked with them on a lot of anti-war things and I really loved that about that particular faith system. I was raised Catholic, but I'm finding too much hypocrisy and greed and people using dogma to their own devices in most of the religions I come across, so it definitely turns me off of finding one to stick with. I would have a tough time affiliating myself with say, Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell. A REALLY tough time.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Anglican/Church of England
ditto but i am very interested in many other religions and my mums family are mormon.

If i had to describe my religion it would be as strong mix of wiccanism/buddhism/christianty and other bits and bobs!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how to mark this, I don't really practice any religon, but I have leanings toward (mainly)wicca ,also paganism and am interested in native american spirituality.

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katspixiedust

I was baptised Catholic, then my parents switched and we started to go to a Presbyterian church, and now I'm not associated with any particular denomination. I appreciate the teachings of each religion and find quite a few interesting to learn about. Buddhism especially. Native American spirituality is also something close to my heart since I have quite a bit of Cherokee in me and my grandfather knew so much about it. I'm under the belief that "church" is what and where you make it, and am ok not really belonging anywhere. I've got my spirituality and that's good enough for me.
I like what you said Katherine. "I've got my spirituality and that's good enough for me."
I was raised in the United Methodist Church, so that is the religion I most closely associate myself with (though I've given thought to maybe attending our local Unity Church).

However, to me, religion is THE most personal thing. I've become so jaded by organized religions and people politicizing from the pulipts....it's my personal relationship with God and not anyone else that guides my life!

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am proud to say I'm a Christian. Mainly Southern Baptist or Baptist, but I'm really non-denominational..... as long as I can worship, and as long as I believe the by-laws of that church is Biblical.

agent_haun

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm LDS. I consider myself most spiritual than religious though. My dad's side of the family is Catholic, and a good deal of my mom's family has no religion whatsoever. (Most of them are in jail
)

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tend to consider myself a non-practicing Jew. Of course, there are Christians out there who know quite a bit more about Judiasm than me, so I'm more like nothing.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was raised Catholic. Now I call myself a Pagan, at least to the point of observing the Solstice and apologizing to any Oak trees I might have to cut down!

For Christianity, my understanding was always that if you were a Christian, but not Orthodox or Catholic, then you were a Protestant, no matter the denomination. Sort of like a discussion I was having with a Wiccan one day in that by definition all Wiccans are pagan, but not all Pagans are Wiccan. i.e., all Protestants are Christian, but not all Christians are Protestant.

Cindy

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

Now I call myself a Pagan, at least to the point of observing the Solstice and apologizing to any Oak trees I might have to cut down!

I stated in another thread my beliefs lean towards Buddhism and quantum physics, but I have to say that I observe the solstice and quite often participate in Pagan rituals......

i was born a jehovah's witness!!

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sis and I never went to church and never had a bible in the house. Mom was Catholic growing up (extreme) and said she was glad to abandon it. Dad was extreme Baptist. When he married my momma he abandoned his religion, too. So that's how Sis and I grew up with no religion. All the people I work with are Catholic and around here, Catholics have the best parties, wedding receptions and wakes, so I guess I like that religion the most.