what is your opinion on these cat food brands?

my3grrlz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
actually as i read the ingredients there is a type of sodium in some. doesn't specifically say salt in all.

i recently bought to cans of each of Avo and Soulstic...to see how my cats like it.

AvoDerm has.......
Sodium Selenite (selenium) ~ is a trace mineral   that is essential for many bodily processes and is needed for optimal health.* It acts as an antioxidant, helping to protect against harmful free radicals.*

good read .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_selenite (specifically says...The US Food and Drug Administration approved a selenium supplement to animal diets.

Soulistic does not have any sodium product listed. or at least the specific word 'sodium' is not listed. neither is just salt.

Simply Nourish has......

Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex .. which i keep reading is not good. altho it is low on the list, so wouldn't that mean it has very small amounts in the food?

certain site state that it is a toxin. and harmful if consumed long term.

http://www.naturalnews.com/024244_food_pet_sodium.html

another question.....

i know that i saw something about tapioca starch....
oooohh...it is used as a thickening agent. is that good or bad?

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tapioca Starch is a carbohydrate, and the lower the carbs the better.  I know Soulistic (and others) use it in some of their foods, the ones "in gravy", and I called them about it because they still say their products are "low carb".  They told me it is because the percentage is extremely low, As far as them having salt in their foods, I believe it's listed as "choline chloride"

my3grrlz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tapioca Starch is a carbohydrate, and the lower the carbs the better. 
oh okay.

I know Soulistic (and others) use it in some of their foods, the ones "in gravy", and I called them about it because they still say their products are "low carb".  They told me it is because the percentage is extremely low,
i don't believe that it is extremely low when it is listed as the 3rd or 4th ingredient on the label.

doesn't it mean that the lower on the list, the less of that ingredient in the food?

As far as them having salt in their foods, I believe it's listed as "choline chloride".
oh. i will have to look into that. i assume that no matter what brand we buy it will always have some type of salt. no biggy..i guess.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rival is biglots and petpride is kroger

what is petsmarts brand? i don't have a pet smart but im curious like a cat hahaha
Petsmart's brand is Simply Nourish. I haven't read all the responses so someone may have already answered your question. They have a grain free as well in wet but not sure if they have a gf kibble.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petsmart's brand is Simply Nourish. I haven't read all the responses so someone may have already answered your question. They have a grain free as well in wet but not sure if they have a gf kibble.
Okay I was just curious I don't have a petsmart thou