what is your opinion on these cat food brands?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know weird i was thinking I wanted to try it until i saw the ingredients and said forget hahaha

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know weird i was thinking I wanted to try it until i saw the ingredients and said forget hahaha
Really? Why? Authority has pretty good ingredients for the price. The canned is better than the dry, as usual, but neither are bad.

Grreat Choice is another Petsmart exclusive brand. They have a lot, apparently :lol3:.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i saw it advertized as being sold at petco too. but on the actual website they do not show it. :confused:
It's a Petsmart brand, so you won't find it at Petco. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4230546&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

It's sold in stores only.

Here are the ingredients for the chicken recipe: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Oean Fish, Brewers Rice, Dried Egg Product, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Brewers Dried Yeast, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine, Mononitrate, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, (Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride, Taurine.

It's one of the cheapest canned foods you can feed to a cat, and the only ingredients that may be an issue are the ocean fish and brewer's rice. Dried egg product just boosts protein.

my3grrlz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have just started buying a brand only sold at petsmart as well. it seems good to me..for my grrlz.

http://pets.petsmart.com/brands/simply-nourish/

they seem to enjoy the dry food..i mix the turkey one with the salmon one. and they only like a couple of the canned foods.
the 3 oz cans are just too expensive tho. ugh! so i am probably going to try to find an alternative there, with another GOOD brand that is health but not so expensive.
any suggestions will be appreciated.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 13 oz. cans of EVO are economical and a very healthy food. I have seen the 13 oz. cans of Innova at Pet Valu for 1.69. That is a great value for healthy food.

I think they sell both brands at Petsmart too.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is so weird, I KNOW I responded to this, because I actually called Soulistic this afternoon after reading your reply, and now I don't see my response.  Anyway, they told me that their President is in discussions with Dr. Pierson because of her food chart, since they believe Soulistic is very LOW carb.  I'm still a proponent of it and will recommend it as a less expensive alternative for people seeking grain free.  Also, not ALL of Soulistic formulas contain Tapioca Starch...only those "with gravy". 
Interesting, Sally. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I do remember I was shocked to see the difference between the Weruva info based off of the guaranteed analysis, and Dr. Pierson's chart (which is based on average nutritional info the company sends up).

my3grrlz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The 13 oz. cans of EVO are economical and a very healthy food. I have seen the 13 oz. cans of Innova at Pet Valu for 1.69. That is a great value for healthy food.

I think they sell both brands at Petsmart too.
hmmm....i wonder tho...

that sounds like a good deal. but beings that it is such a big can..would it be worth it for me, since i have to limit the canned food for my 2 oldest?
one wastes it and the other will eat too much and vomit a little while later.
i am asking becuz of the fact that the canned food i have says to feed it within 24-48 hours after opening.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
13 oz. will provide about 4 meals. If you're feeding 2 cats you will finish the can in 1 day. I have to admit I love the convenience of 3 oz cans but sometimes I need better prices.

my3grrlz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well..that is the prob for me. i don't feed em canned 2 times a day. only in the evening. (and i actually have 3 goofy kitties.)

i feed them a little dry in the morning, afternoon, and before we go to bed. dinner time is canned food time..around the same time we humans eat dinner.

i do it that way becuz it is cheaper for us. and i have to limit the canned food..as stated above.
would it benefit them to feed the canned 2 times a day and dry for afternoon and night?

or maybe someone have a better suggestion?

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, when I estimated amounts I was thinking for cats who are on canned food only. If they eat dry too, it might take a while to go through a big can. The moisture is good for them though, I would feed wet twice a day if you can.

Your kitties are cuties!

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see how its startchy when is real meat hmm i just opened some cans today again you know how you cook chicken with its broth in it and put it in the fridge and the broth turns into a jelly thats how the cat food looks refridgerated chicken
Some flavors are in gelee instead of tapioca starch. I think they are mostly seafood flavors so I feed them about once a week. They are low-carb.

my3grrlz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, when I estimated amounts I was thinking for cats who are on canned food only. If they eat dry too, it might take a while to go through a big can. The moisture is good for them though, I would feed wet twice a day if you can.

Your kitties are cuties!
all 3 of my grrlz eat the wet food. maybe i could try feeding em canned 2 times a day and see how it goes. in fact right now that would help with them eating up the cheap brand quicker.

thnx. i love my grrlz. as you probably can tell.

your tabbies are cute too.
love their coloring.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one kitty who will only eat EVO, so I have a separate can for her in the fridge. For one cat eating canned food only, the can lasts about 2 1/2 days, and I've never had any problem with it going bad. So with 3 cats eating from the can, even as just part of their diet, I don't think it would be a problem.

my3grrlz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh good. thank you for that info.

makes me feel a little more at ease to get bigger cans and feed within 3 days..which may happen since i have to limit it a bit for each cat.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The other thing you can do is get an ice cube tray for the canned food, and freeze the excess. Just dump the "cat food cubes" in a bag when frozen. To dethaw, take however many cubes you want out, put them in a baggie, and put them in a bowl of lukewarm water for a few minutes. Then they're fresh and you don't need to worry about kitty not liking them because they taste "old," or they've been in the fridge for a few days... :)

my3grrlz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LDG
The other thing you can do is get an ice cube tray for the canned food, and freeze the excess. Just dump the "cat food cubes" in a bag when frozen. To dethaw, take however many cubes you want out, put them in a baggie, and put them in a bowl of lukewarm water for a few minutes. Then they're fresh and you don't need to worry about kitty not liking them because they taste "old," or they've been in the fridge for a few days...
OOOH!!! GREAT IDEA!!!

i would totally do that. can get some trays at the 99c store.

Last edited:

my3grrlz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
question..........
what is everyone's take on SALT being added to the food?

i was actually checking out the good brands for canned foods. a lot of them have salt and a few other crappy things.

the brands i have been looking at do not have salt.

i actually bought a couple different ones today to see how the grrlz like em. 2 cans of AvoDerm and 2 of Soulistic. the prices are pretty much the same as the Simply Nourish which is what my original choice is. altho i am considering switching it up with Simply Nourish and another brand..to give a little more variety..and becuz there is only 2 flavors out of 4 that my 3 yr olds like.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salt is a necessary nutrient for all life. Of course the amount is the important thing. I wonder how the foods without added salt attain the proper sodium level? There must be something in them with sufficient sodium.

Last edited: