What is better, one cat or two cats?

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 cats is better than one cat.
They can play with each other and keep each other's company.

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted two. But it depends greatly on the cat. When I got Gandalf I intended on only having one but made the decision soon after that he really needed an companion as he was so needy when I returned home from work. Thus Samwise came into our life. It was the best decision I ever made. Gandalf is a lot happier with a play mate and I don't find two much more work than one. It is a pain in the rear to take them both with me when we go to the vet and my parents to visit but I wouldn't trade them for anything.

My parents currently have an elderly cat that was mine when I was growing up. (The vet recommended that she stay with my parents as it would be too stressful for her to move out with me with her having kidney disease. She's in the advanced stages of the disease now.) My mother would like I think to have another cat but Bubbles
wouldn't tolerate it. SHe kind of regrets that when Tom, another cat we had when I was a kid, passed on that they didn't get another cat. But it is too late now, when she passes on I give my parents a year tops before they adopt a couple more.

So it really depends on the cat, and the situation. I would love to have another cat but I live in a one bedroom apartment so space is limited. And I like the knowledge that whatever emergency comes up I can afford treatment, I'm not sure that I could with more than two cats.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I voted many, since I now have three. It was just "the girls" for almost six years, but now that we have Pete, I can't imagine life without him. (Not sure Katie and Gracie feel quite the same way!)

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted 2 simply because I have 2 now and couldn't imagine life without my little Drama Queens

However, I cannot wait until I have a house so that I can add at least one more kitty to the mix

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I only have one, but it is because of allergies. If I could, Abby would have a friend to keep her company!

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd rather have four I think as my ending number. Two is nice but Aerowyn is a very energetic kitty and as elliot is mostly fat and lazy she doesnt always get to play as much as she wants to. With three cats though I could se them all wanting to play at the same time and the last one being left out. But with four, there always would be someone to play with, someone to cuddle with, ect.

I have an Orange Tabby and a Black cat but I would sooo like a medium haired white and a medium haired brown/grey tabby. I LOVE medium haired cats!! They are my favroite kind (no offence to my kitties elliot and aerowyn!) But I just love their look! Norweigan(sp) forest cats are particularly my favorite but there are alot of mixed breeds in shelters that are just the same basically.

one thing that is hard is having two cats and having a third animal that needs the care of a cat but cant be trusted to move about the house and eat and drink at its leisure without escaping. I used to have a blue tonged skink named Raven but with my two cats needing constant attention, my leopard geckos needing attention, and she needing just as much if not more care than a cat (I believe she is even more intelligent than a cat, I could tell it when I looked in her eyes) She had a large cage and it was comfortable, but I just couldnt devote the time to care for her properly. Besides that she was a picky eater, and was too slow to catch bugs. We gave her to a college student that was studying to be a herpatologist so I knew she would have a good home. My cats and more importantly my geckos get more care now. I also felt guilty because Anika and Oz (my geckos) had each other for company, my cats had each other, but she had no one. She did have a monkey tailed skink living with her that was her friend but it died mysteriously.

bogeyandbetty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I said two so they wouldn't be lonely and is still relatively affordable. I made a bad decision by getting farm kittens. I've had them two weeks and they are so cute but came with a host of problems. They came with ear mites, worms, and a bad respiratory infection. I have a great husband who paid the huge vet bill. I would recommend buying from a pet store, my free kittens weren't so free after all but I love them so much! One kitten would have been half of the bill, but two are just happier together. They are brother and sister so we had no "introduction" period which worked just fine for us!

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about getting another cat, but I talked to a pet psychic and among other things she shouldn't have known, she said Cupid likes being an only child, and that he's thought about it, but doesn't want to share me. As affectionate and loving as he is, I think getting him a friend would make him sad. I can't hold both of them all the time, and two won't fit in my shirt! I try not to leave him alone for more than a few hours though. If I had a job, I would consider it.

I've also read research that said cats aren't pack animals like dogs, and therefore are stressed out when "competing" with a bunch of other cats. I saw it on Oprah too. The fighting, aloofness, and timidness some cats exhibit when in large multi-cat homes is proof that they don't like it. He said he's seen normal, well-adjusted cats turn fierce or shy when around that many other cats. Space is also an issue. Cats need lots of room to roam around, like they would in the wild. Because of that, I would never subject cats to "community living" unless I absolutely had to--like to foster until I found them suitable homes.

ctcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think most cats enjoy the company of another cat especially if they compliment each others personalities.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Started with one, then Missy came begging at the window as a baby last summer now they have babies - no flack please, we were terribly ignorant and got the go ahead from a vet (we now have a new vet, and thanks to this site are well informed about all things cat related)

rirunyan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have three. They all were raised together in the same foster adoption center. The two boys are brothers. They all get along wonderfully. Sleep together, groom each other and play. There is no fighting except for the typical 4 month old kitten play. Both of us work long hours outside of the home. Our vet suggested two at least. We fell in love with three. I don't think I would bring another into the home now though, since these three are so used to each other. A new kitty would be odd man out.

lucidblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only have one cat. She needs tons of attention. When I contacted breeders about buying a bengal, many wouldn't let me have one because she'd be the only cat. The breeder I finally got her from said that she would make a good loner cat. I must say that when my boyfriend brings his cat over, she is a lot less vocal, which is nice for a change. However, there is the fighting when they're together... but as long as their on my cat's turf, it's not too bad.

Sometimes I want another bengal kitten, but not sure I'm up for that... or that Ripley would actually like having a new baby in the house.

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

I believe 2 is the minimum, but I would prefer a whole lot more. ATM, 2 is more than enough, but I dream of a day when people down the street refer to me as "that crazy cat lady"
That has always been a dream of mine too! I want 4 cats in a 2 story house with a room just for them.

edited to add: of course they will have run of the house, but this room will be just theirs with all kinds of toys and a big cat tree and beds and everything just for them.... I hope a bay window so they can look outside, as well as a bird feeder right outside so they can watch all the birds and other critters all they want.

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is good to know you already have experience with having two cats. I had dreaded the "what if they don't like the same food, litter, don't like each other, etc. I think I got very lucky with Charlotte and Izzie. They get along very well, have very similar eating habbits, and love to play together.

I don't think I want more than two cats. Two is a good number especially if one or both should need extra vet care. Each person has to know what is best for their situation. I'm sure you'll be able to come to a conclusion that is best for you and your cat.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purr

I've also read research that said cats aren't pack animals like dogs, and therefore are stressed out when "competing" with a bunch of other cats. I saw it on Oprah too. The fighting, aloofness, and timidness some cats exhibit when in large multi-cat homes is proof that they don't like it. He said he's seen normal, well-adjusted cats turn fierce or shy when around that many other cats. Space is also an issue. Cats need lots of room to roam around, like they would in the wild. Because of that, I would never subject cats to "community living" unless I absolutely had to--like to foster until I found them suitable homes.
3 cats isn't exactly multi-cat, but these three sure got along great! They loved to lay together in the "cat" chair, and would often groom each other. The two on the bottom were raised together since kittenhood. The one on top (Jill) was an extremely shy foster kitty. They weren't always together, but they definitely enjoyed each others company!

I have known many only cats to be perfectly happy, too. But I think Garfield and Festus are happier for having each other to fight with, chase, groom, cuddle, etc. Sure, he steals the toys from her sometimes. Or grabs her treats if she eats too slow. But she is always cleaning him...I think it is very nice that they have companions from their own species!

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a cute picture! I don't think 3 is a "bunch." I think if you have the room for them then that's a great number.