What is a friend?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sonia you sound like a wonderful, sensative person. Anyone should count themselves blessed to have you as a friend.

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know if there is a true definition of a friend. To me, it's someone who accepts you for who you are and supports you. And, for me, I only have 1 true friend from high school and that is it ........ It's too hard to make friends when you are my age (27). I've known her since we were freshman in high school, and she was at my wedding. She listens and always asks how my husband is too. Too, I am one who is cautious when it comes to meeting new people ....... I dont know if they are being nice for the sake of it or what. I have work friends, I guess, too. I have no idea how to make friends ..... my husband has quite a few of them, though. oh well.

feralwhisperer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somehow Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve blessed with a few groups of great friends. Some Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve know for over 25 years. They are more like family. If my sister wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t related I would have choose her for my best friend.

Deciding new friendships now is easy. I truly, believe from the beginning, people show you who they are. Watch how they treat others, that is how they will treat you. If they are respectful and kind that is how they will treat you. If they are disrespectful and mean to other then that is what you can look forward to.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A definition of a Friend...oooooh, that's a tough one, because there are so many elements.

I'd include much of what's already been said, about sticking by you, about loyalty, about the ready and non-judgemental ear, about trying to help a friend avoid or stop behaviour that's destructive, and about risking a friendship to save a life.

I don't have a whole stable of really close Friends, either. A few that I know I can count on through thick and thin, to be there for me, to tell it like it is, to help me be true to myself if that's needed -- the people you can phone at 3 in the morning with your crisis, and know that their biggest problem won't be whether to respond, but whether they can shake the fog off soon enough to be useful. The rest are either acquaintances, or fairly casual friends.

I know what it is to have a cyber-friend I trusted turn out to be one who would rather walk away from a friendship than figure out what caused a difficulty so that it could be avoided in the future and the friendship saved. That felt like a slap, but I've recovered from it. I've kept the parts of that relationship that fed me, and discarded the rest.

I hope the difference between you and your friend is not as permanent as it now feels to you, Debby. I hope you'll be able to find a way to an understanding, and mend your differences. Friendships are too precious to abandon without trying. And whatever the difficulty was/is, I hope you feel some peace soon.