What does everybody feed their cats?

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever fed or have an opinion on Spot's Stew by Halo? I saw it in a local grocery store the other day and contemplated picking up a can to try but it's SOO expensive. Plus its full of veggies too and I know people on this site have mentioned again and again how cats are carnivores...

Here's a link:

Spot's Stew

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
regarding the Halo food.. My cousin LOVES it for her kittys.. She has her own "Home made" cat food she used for her old kittys *before they passed on* One was diabetic, and it did him wonders.. and he got Stones alot,and it helped with those.. And the other kitty was 18,and vet said he was as healthy as a 1 yr old. And he finally passed of old age.. And she fed them the Diet she made.. And she sells this stuff on her website *the halo* And she did at one point sell the food she made, but i am not sure if she does anymore. It was like the raw diet for kittys

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

Has anyone ever fed or have an opinion on Spot's Stew by Halo? I saw it in a local grocery store the other day and contemplated picking up a can to try but it's SOO expensive. Plus its full of veggies too and I know people on this site have mentioned again and again how cats are carnivores...

Here's a link:

Spot's Stew
well, it doesn't have any grains, which is good. it does have garlic, which some people don't like for cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looked at Spots stew and for the price I can make a homemade for one cat for a week... The veggie matter is very high( cats dont need ) .... It is premium but I wont be trying it ...Plus the garlic is a no go here...

Zoey eats Natural choice kitten with Raw instict for dry and what ever raw or canned shell eat

Kandie eats many cans and raw

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'm starting to feell like a bad cat meowmy........

I feed my girls: Purina Kitten Chow, and they get either Meow Mix Market Select wet food cups, fancy feast, or fancy feast with herbs. Sometimes, I feed them friskies can food,, *but it's rare*...

**The only other high priced canned food around here is Iams, and I don't buy that,, I boycott them because of how they do their testing on animals..**

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

Okay, I'm starting to feell like a bad cat meowmy........

I feed my girls: Purina Kitten Chow, and they get either Meow Mix Market Select wet food cups, fancy feast, or fancy feast with herbs. Sometimes, I feed them friskies can food,, *but it's rare*...

**The only other high priced canned food around here is Iams, and I don't buy that,, I boycott them because of how they do their testing on animals..**
Hey don't feel horrible. I know Anya loves some of the Meow Mix Market selects. Its one of the only ones I've fed her that she seemed to get a little excited over.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give mine Inova Adult dry 1/3 cup twice a day. Also give him "Greenies" treats and a scoop Inova canned once in a while for a treat.

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After much trial and error, we are now on California Natural dry and Innova Evo wet. Temptations Hairball treats are a favorite, and about every 7-10 days I let Astrid have her favorite fishy Fancy Feast for a treat.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I have found the right combo.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My girls are on Timberwolf Organics now, and it seems to be the magic ingredient in curing Molly's bowel issues (think major stink with mushy poo). We already tried California Natural, Felidae, Innova, Innova EVO, and Wellness, and this food seems to have been the trick all along.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo eats Nature's Logic Rabbit Dinner dry and occasionally gets Natural Balance Ocean Fish in cans (this was for medicine but it's also good for the Omega 3 oils.)
She's so much healthier now than she was just a few months ago, and I do attribute this to the diet.

demone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my three straight Bright Life dry (as per recommened by a breeder). for some reason we were feeding Whiska's as well, but my boys gained a lot of weight and the oldest was having skin problems. Since the total change over they've lost a bit of weight, glossier coats, very soft, and Spud's fur is growing back as well as the rash has cleared up.

- Adrian

txcatwoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK..someone mentioned earlier that they feel like a bad meowmy, well, now I really do, but then again, I feel I'm not, because at least I care and love my cats lots, even though we are not rich and cannot afford the "good" stuff.
But, what I am getting at is, is there something wrong with Friskie's catfood, or meowmix? My cats don't get the generic brand, but they do eat Friskies.
We have "rescued" 5 cats so I "was" lucky to get my husband to buy them Friskies, although NOW after 4 years of being cat owners, lol, I should say staff to them like everyone addresses cat owners, my husband loves them as much as I do, but he's not going to spend a lot of money for cat food when we have 5 of them. In the morning I give them a tsp of wet on top of their dry, both Friskie brands, and end the evening I give them dry only. They get a treat during the day, which is usually Temptations, or Pounce.
Thanks everyone and have a great day

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Villy is now on royal canin sensitivity wet food as and when she wants it, at least twice a day, and sometimes highlife, and she has royal canin biscuits left down to pick at when she fancies it. She was on whiskas but she used to get the runs quite often on that.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TXCatWoman

But, what I am getting at is, is there something wrong with Friskie's catfood, or meowmix?
it's not that they're bad, just that others are better. i think the wet meowmix is better than the wet friskies. look at the ingredients:
friskies salmon dinner:
Meat by-products, water sufficient for processing, salmon, poultry by-products, fish, brewers rice, natural and artificial flavors, guar gum, tricalcium phosphate, titanium dioxide color, potassium chloride, salt, carrageenan, Vitamin E supplement, dicalcium phosphate, zinc sulfate, sodium nitrite (to promote color retention), Red 3, thiamine mononitrate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, cobalt carbonate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, potassium iodide, biotin. B-5199
meowmix salmon & crab tub:
\t\t\t\t\tTuna, Fish Broth, Sardine, Tuna Liver, Salmon, Crab, Guar Gum, Vegetable Oil, Carrageenan, \t\t\t\t\tTricalcium Phosphate, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A \t\t\t\t\tSupplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K \t\t\t\t\tActivity), Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid), \t\t\t\t\tMinerals (Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate), Annatto Color, Canthaxanthin Color, Sodium Nitrite \t\t\t\t\t(To Promote Color Retention).
the meowmix has more of the higher quality ingredients, & no by products or grains.
dry foods are similar - labels tell all. here's a sample
meowmix original choice dry:
\t\t\t\t\t\tGround Yellow Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Beef \t\t\t\t\t\tTallow Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E), Turkey By-Product Meal, \t\t\t\t\t\tSalmon Meal, Oceanfish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Phosphoric Acid, Animal Digest, \t\t\t\t\t\tCalcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Tetra Sodium Pyrophosphate, Calcium Chloride, \t\t\t\t\t\tCholine Chloride, Added Color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2 and other Color), Salt, Taurine, \t\t\t\t\t\tZinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, L-alanine, Niacin, Vitamin Supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), \t\t\t\t\t\tCalcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Copper \t\t\t\t\t\tSulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Citric Acid, Menadione Sodium \t\t\t\t\t\tBisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite. E-4541
chicken soup dry:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Chicken, Salmon, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, whole grain white rice, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, turkey, duck, flaxseed, egg product, natural chicken flavor, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, kelp, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, methionine, potassium chloride, taurine, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid. [/font]

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either Purina or Meow Mix Indoor Forumla for our fluffalorium. Seems to have improved everyone's heath since we switched to it about 2 years ago. And it's about the same price (on sale) as the regular stuff. They get Friskies or Nine Lives (whichever was on sale last week) for their nightly can. Which is fed just before we sit down for dinner, in an effort to keep the begging down!

Those new Fancy Feast with Greens tins are the ticket. Ours go WILD for them.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed mine Nutro Natural dry and canned for cats and kittens since I have both. Since I changed they've done very well. I had one cat that use to throw up and another that use to shed obsessively, and the Nutro has taken care of both problems. My only problem now is that I think I need to add variety or something. I let them split some canned Nutro yesterday and none of them were excited. They used to go crazy for wet food. It took nearly the entire day for them to finish it. And I know you aren't suppose to leave wet food out forever. I even cosidered maybe the can was bad since no one cared for it. Although I've been very pleased with Nutro's quality thus far.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Felidae/California Natural wet, and plenty of raw meat. Her eyes are bright, her voice is squeaky, and her teeth are clean and white without me having to have her put under risky anesthesia for a preventable reason.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by siameseohio

I feed mine Nutro Natural dry and canned for cats and kittens since I have both. Since I changed they've done very well. I had one cat that use to throw up and another that use to shed obsessively, and the Nutro has taken care of both problems. My only problem now is that I think I need to add variety or something. I let them split some canned Nutro yesterday and none of them were excited. They used to go crazy for wet food. It took nearly the entire day for them to finish it. And I know you aren't suppose to leave wet food out forever. I even cosidered maybe the can was bad since no one cared for it. Although I've been very pleased with Nutro's quality thus far.
I like giving my wee lass variety as well. After a few months of Felidae wet exclusively (and intense research into ingredients, I now rotate in California natural wet. She runs in meowing when she hears me tap the spoon on her foodbowl.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042

I like giving my wee lass variety as well. After a few months of Felidae wet exclusively (and intense research into ingredients, I now rotate in California natural wet. She runs in meowing when she hears me tap the spoon on her foodbowl.
Have your babies tried the new salmon and potato Cal natural

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Have your babies tried the new salmon and potato Cal natural
So far, no. Just the chicken and brown rice at the moment. I'll be ordering more of their flavors soon though.

I'm sort of on the fence about the salmon and potato. The fish basedness+potatoes makes me a tad reluctant.