What do you feed a UTI prone cat?

sinbadsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Sinbad (a female cat) suffered from FUS, feline urinary syndrome -- crystals in the urine -- when she was several years old (this was nearly 15 years ago; she went to the Bridge 4 years ago). The vet recommended prescription food, which I bought but she refused to eat. Then I read in a book about cats that vitamin C can help. At the time I just crushed ascorbic acid tablets and added the powder to her canned food. Later I bought pure ascorbic acid powder at the health food store. It took a very small amount, a few hundred milligrams a day, to clear up the problem. A few years ago my Frosty, who was 12 then, developed the first urinary infection of her life after dental work. Twelve courses of two different antibiotics didn't help, and I finally just gave her vitamin C and probiotics (the probiotics to replace the good bacteria which had also been killed off by all the antibiotics; doctors typically recommend now that human patients take probiotics after being given antibiotics, but in my personal experience vets are less likely to do this). Anyway, the vitamin C and probiotics got Frosty over the UTI.

Here's a link to a web page with an article by a vet who's used vitamin C extensively in his practice. There's a section there on urinary tract problems.

http://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorba...-v2-n3-p10.htm

I gave Sinbad a much lower dose of vitamin C than was given to the male cat with urinary calculi mentioned there, and the lower dose still helped her.

Cindy