What Do You Do For Easter Dinner?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I think it will just be Dear Richard and me for Easter dinner this year. We'll visit with his mom after dinner and take dessert to her and to her roommate.

Ham with raspberry glaze (or cranberry glaze, depending on how I feel)
Sauteed yams (as per Rick)
Sagaponek corn pudding (from Ina Garten and as per Rick)
Asparagus with leeks (also from Ina)
Broccoli and cauliflower coleslaw

I'm taking the suggestion from @nansiludie to make coconut cupcakes for dessert. That way, I can put coconut on a couple for me and for Rick's mom and keep the coconut away from Rick's cupcakes (horrors that any coconut would find its way to Rick! I can see him shuddering now). I can always put the cupcakes in the freezer for later on....but only if I hide them from Rick (and from me, too, to be honest).

I also make pickled/red beet eggs for Easter. My mom made them years ago and I do enjoy them. I make them for Easter and then once or so during the summer for our family picnics. And they go fast.

The hot cross buns will be made on Good Friday and we'll take those to Rick's mom, too. She loves her hot cross buns. I make ours with raisins instead of currants, but they're still really good. Sometimes, I'll make them with assorted dried fruit. The other year, the dried fruit had coconut in it and I thought Rick was going to have a heart attack. He sat down at the kitchen table and carefully separated the shreds of coconut from the rest of the fruit with a chopstick, before I could add the fruit to the dough. The man seriously hates coconut.

What are your plans for Easter dinner?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Easter Dinner brings back memories of my ethnic Polish foods. Yes, the best at Easter.
We would have smoked kielbasa, horseradish with beets, blessed Easter egg, cheese Babka, Polish Rye bread, poppy seed loaf, Polish cheesecake and the Polish Loveknot cookies-chrushki...and pirogues for Good Friday and Saturday.

Also had, baked ham with pineapple, mashed potatoes, green beans, and of course, some alcoholic beverages..

This year, since it is just me, I am not certain what I will have.

I am thinking of getting a generic kielbasa-- not from the Polish Store.. some pickled beets, see if I can pick up some beet horseradish from the grocery store, mashed potatoes... That will be enough for me.

If I feel like it, I may take a trip up to the Polish Store.. but it is so far away..
There really is not much parking in the store closest to me.. it is in a congested area.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't really celebrate Easter as such apart from pinching the grand kids Easter eggs. Hot cross buns are good as well.
And I like the public holiday side of it either working for double pay or a day off.
The roads are a bit crazy over here at Easter so not really worth trying to get somewhere popular.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My company pays for holiday meals if we are on the road. I often work holidays so drivers with young kids can have them off to be with family. Plus,the truck stops are empty! And since the company buys the meal,i can leave a huge tip to the poor waitress that has to work a holiday with very few customers. Total win for everyone!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Easter Dinner?
We do traditional Thanksgiving, Chinese food or sushi for Christmas, and in recent years we've been doing Irish food on St Pats.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We really don't do holiday meals any more. DH liked to have ham, homemade mac & cheese, green bean casserole, etc. DD doesn't care if I make anything special and she's moving out soon so it will be just me and the furkids. I usually roast a plain chicken breast for them to share. They love it. Sophie hollers at me until she gets hers. Lily just sits on the table and glares at me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The other year, the dried fruit had coconut in it and I thought Rick was going to have a heart attack. He sat down at the kitchen table and carefully separated the shreds of coconut from the rest of the fruit with a chopstick, before I could add the fruit to the dough. The man seriously hates coconut.
oh, oh, I've got one of those in the house too LOL!!!
Lordy
Winchester Winchester , you are some kind of cook - my goodness.
Every time I hear about a corn pudding I think about my mom's --it was THE best bar none and I still have the recipe card (...I think - that was one GOOD recipe).
So, I'm going to thaw out the ham that's been in the freezer waiting, do up some veggies and probably call it done at that point - we're still on The Diet and making headway so I don't want to mess that up, much as I would like to :bunnydance:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This year will be different. My mom is making a roast and kluski. I am making a chiffon cake that I didn't get to make for her birthday like I traditionally do. Mom decided to go back to school for the culinary program since she loves to cook. Except right now cooking is the last thing she wants to do. :lol: So we are going relatively simple. And I'm ok with that!

I will dye eggs for Easter with the kids. But I don't know if I'll make them into anything in time for Easter dinner. Last year I made crab-deviled eggs and they were SO good! :yummy:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Thank you! It's just that I really enjoy cooking. I'd love to take some cooking classes, but never seem to find the time or any classes around here. But I dearly love to cook and try out new recipes. We love corn pudding and I make it several ways.

MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles Those deviled crab eggs sound delicious. Yum. I remember coloring Easter eggs with our son. We had a great time.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our local grocery had wonderful hams on sale this week. I bought one and intend to cook it the weekend, probably on Saturday. I want some fresh green beans to cook with it. Then I will have either some mashed potatoes or potato salad to go with it. Cheesecake for dessert.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We really don't do holiday meals any more. DH liked to have ham, homemade mac & cheese, green bean casserole, etc. DD doesn't care if I make anything special and she's moving out soon so it will be just me and the furkids. I usually roast a plain chicken breast for them to share. They love it. Sophie hollers at me until she gets hers. Lily just sits on the table and glares at me.
We've made an amazing, easy cheesy hash brown casserole for years for various holidays. Plus, it re heats well.
Cheesy Hash Browns Recipe
We omit the optional corn flakes and add extra cheese and onions. It's simple, delicious and goes well with most things. The recipe can be split before baking and frozen for later "quick side dishes."
Strangely, my favorite go with's are ham, and broccoli.
If DD aren't around, maybe this is something you might enjoy with a frozen portion for later. DH might get into it as it's mac and cheese-ish!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Thank you! It's just that I really enjoy cooking. I'd love to take some cooking classes, but never seem to find the time or any classes around here. But I dearly love to cook and try out new recipes. We love corn pudding and I make it several ways.

MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles Those deviled crab eggs sound delicious. Yum. I remember coloring Easter eggs with our son. We had a great time.
I used to love dyeing Easter eggs when I was a kid but after that I wanted nothing to do with them. I absolutely hate hard boiled eggs or anything containing them. Mom would get so mad. "WHY are you dyeing eggs if you're not going to eat them?" Cuz they are gross? They never went to waste though. I had 3 brothers with hollow legs. They were glad to eat my share. Good times. :lol: :bunnydance: