What do u buy for travelling?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the funniest things re cats/plane. I took a rex kitten to an out of state show. Kitten was in the carrier under the seat - not crying at all. About 1/2 way in flight the lady next to me asked what was in the carrier.

I told her a show kitten. All of a sudden she went nutz. Claimed she was HIGHLY allergic to cats, insisted her husband switch seats, wanted me to immediately have the cat put in cargo, etc.....

I just smiled at her and told her "look lady, I PAID for the cat to be with me - since you seem to have a problem - YOU ride in cargo. And besides, you never sneezed once during this flight"....

krystaline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That IS funny! I am interested in how people will react to me bringing Vodka on board. I've never traveled with a pet before. But I will keep your response in mind if I have a problem...

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good response! i wouldn't have been able to come up with that on the spot

andelawhi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Krystaline

That IS funny! I am interested in how people will react to me bringing Vodka on board. I've never traveled with a pet before. But I will keep your response in mind if I have a problem...
I would be TERRIFIED that my cat would get nervous and poop in the cat carrier. I could just imagine all the bad looks I'd get from people when they start to smell it. Your a brave woman! Good luck to you!

krystaline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, thats why I'm bringing wet wipes and ziplock baggies......just in case!

rosieandcricket

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good on you
I hope the trip goes really well! You could put a harness around Vodka so when you have to get her? out at the check in you can reach in and grab a hold of her very tightly. I found that herbal medicines for pets can be very effective in reducing travel stress. I used bio-pet anti stress formula on my kitten and it made him relaxed and a little sleepy - but still his happy normal self. Make sure Vodka has something to hide under too (like a fluffy towel). Good Luck!!!!!!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plan on flying with Anya in December, so anyone that has more hints and tidbits, its more than welcome. We bought a Sherpa soft carrier for her too and she already loves it. I'm a little nervous about things like her having to hold it for so long, but the wet wipes and baggies were a great idea!

What about providing water? So that it doesn't leak or spill? Give her some every now and then with a dropper?

rosieandcricket

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It will help if you allow her to sleep and play in the carrier! Make sure its a secure happy place and hopefully it will decrease her anxiety. I don't think kitty will want to eat or drink in a scary environment - but maybe a wee rabbit sipper bottle? I'm not sure her tounge wuld be small enough - but you could try it out by putting something yummy in a bottle at home and see if she gets the idea?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The woman next to me on the flight to Salt Lake had her poodle mix on her lap half the flight. I'm super allergic to dogs (well, and cats!), and it really was making me sick. But I didn't say anything because, well, what the hey else was she supposed to do? You can't put them in cargo because they can die, if you're moving or something you can't leave them, etc. I would've liked to switch seats, but I just looked out the window instead.

If someone flips out about having a cat, calmly inform them that the airline's policies allow pets in the cabin, and that there are other airlines who don't. Or lie and say it's a "hypoallergenic" breed.

krystaline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

The woman next to me on the flight to Salt Lake had her poodle mix on her lap half the flight.
Thats so funny....that's exactly where *I* am flying to!!!

Can you actually hold your pets on your lap once the flight has started?? Just curious, I will probably keep Vodka in her carrier the whole time...hopefully she will sleep.

erinandseamus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're not supposed to remove your pet from the carrier. I guess it depends on the flight attendents.

On our last trip with the boys, the flight was totally full. Chris and I each had a cat under the seat in front of us. Halfway into the flight, one of the flight attendents came up and asked us if we had cats. We said yes and she walked away. I watched her walk off and about 6-8 rows back she stopped to talk to a couple. I assume she was informing them we had cats. But there was nothing she could do...the flight was totally full.

My boys have never gone potty in their carriers on flights, even when I had to change planes through Atlanta. They have always been able to hold it if need be.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But do have to remove the cat at security to go through x-ray? That would be really scary -- you have to stuff the cat back in the carrier with all that chaos going on. I wonder if they would let you go into a private room to remove the cat.

erinandseamus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes you have to remove the cat to go through security. I don't know about a private room, because I never asked. My boys are quite chill about it all, they just look around while we're holding them. I think Seamus finds the airport fascinating. He's always seemed to like traveling though

I've often found that the more matter-of-fact I am regarding a situation, the more relaxed my cats are. If I don't worry, they don't worry.

krystaline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I just finished my first flying experience with Vodka. Yes, you do take your cat out of the carrier at the security check. I didn't have any problem with anyone bringing Vodka on board. On the second leg of the flight, a lady had a small dog a few rows ahead of me that yapped about 3 times and that was it. Vodka threw up the first leg of the flight (I fed her that morning, considering our flight wasnt until almost 5pm), but I was able to clean it easily with the wet wipes I brought when we landed. She slept the entire 3.5 hour second part of the flight. Except for the throwing up, she did great. I hardly heard a peep out of her.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So Vodka didn't pee or poop in the carrier? How long total was he in the carrier?

Did he squirm and freak out when you held him through security? Was it easy getting him back in the carrier?

How did he do when you arrived at your destination?

krystaline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, she didnt go in the carrier. She was in the carrier a total of probably about 6-7 hours. She didn't freak when I took her out of the carrier...in fact, she was a little hesitant to come out and I had to pull her out, but she just cuddled with me until I put her back in. And once we got to my moms house, I put her in her litter box and she went to the bathroom, then she fell asleep and slept the whole night with me. Shes been doing just fine adjusting to her new (temporary) home.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great that she did so well. I'm going to get a harness for Anya after hearing that you have to take them out of the carrier at security. She's usually very calm and well behaved when we take her out, but when she gets nervous or upset she tends to freak out and there's NO holding on to her. I would hate to have to chase her around the airport.

I guess my question earlier about water on board is null and void now after the recent security changes. I flew yesterday however, and it shouldn't be a problem to get a small bottled water from a flight attendant should anyone's kitty get thirsty. They seemed very willing to offer beverage when needed (outside of normal beverage service).

krystaline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a harness on Vodka, just in case, but I didnt even need to put the leash on her. She was such a good kitten. I don't know if I would give her any food or water...she might throw up. How long is your trip? Mine was about 6-7 hours total and she was fine without any food or drink.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 hours to airport and for security/boarding, 4 hour flight, 30min-1 hour for baggage claim, and 2 hour drive to my mom's....so about 9 hours total...

erinandseamus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She'll be okay. She may not want anything even if you offer. When we drove cross-country, Seamus would use the litter box in the car, but he wouldn't touch food or water until we settled into the hotel at night.

And when we fly, he doesn't eat anything either, even his favorite treats.