What do non cat owners take for granted that you can't?

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having nice furniture without worrying it will be destroyed with claw marks all over and teeth marks on the corners.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being able to open a can of tuna and not have savages circling you like prey.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
being able to shut the door to the basement. Abby's food and litterbox are down there and she also likes to use it for a refuge when she is stressed.

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being able to have your doorsopen while you bring things in and out.....

Actually i will watch TV shows, and the character will leave their front door open, and it always gets me nervous, because I am afraid their cat is going to get out.....
...yeah I'm a little crazy

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nebula11

Being able to have your doorsopen while you bring things in and out.....

Actually i will watch TV shows, and the character will leave their front door open, and it always gets me nervous, because I am afraid their cat is going to get out.....
...yeah I'm a little crazy
I feel the same way when I'm at someone else's house---even if they don't have cats. I always enter doors "foot first" (to block their "cats" from getting out)

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I had Villy I could wake up when I wanted, but I wouldn't change for the world being woken up by a giant meow in my ear, or a furry butt in my face!

I used to be able to read a book without it being headbutted out of the way

or read a magazine, newspaper, or piece of mail, without it being sat on!

I could go away without first organising someone to look after her, and be away without worrying about her and missing her.

But I wouldn't have it any other way, life is definately much better with her in it

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's too funny! I always notice when people leave the door open too!
I think the list is pretty comprehensivve so far. I'm just finding it reassuring that we're not the only crazy people who have to worry about such things.
Not having to de-cat hair your clothes when you go out, is something they'd take for granted!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lizk729

Ive really enjoyed reading these and gotten a good chuckle over them.

Being able to sit down without your lap being taken over.
The going to the bathroom alone and having a stalker one......to true.
lol
Being able to use the remote without it coming under attack.
I agree, definately!!

jasper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Being able to walk barefoot into the bathroom without stepping in gritty litter....
Having a house that doesn't make people say, "You have a cat don't you"
Not stepping in regurgitated food that the cat made while backing up so its about the length of a human foot....
Going to bed at night with a clean house only to wake up and cat toys NOT being everywhere.
Being able to cook without under-foot assistance....

Oh the joys of cat ownership!
I love them though...

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not having to unplug everything before I leave the house or go to sleep

Being able to close the refrigerator door without waiting until a kitty is done exploring in there

Being able to cook dinner without having a furry assistant on the countertop

Walking across a gas station parking lot without worrying about stepping in harmful substances

Having carpet that isn't clawed up.

Not having to constantly pick loose carpet fibers off the floor.

Not having a sweet little creature climb into my lap to knead and purr

Not seeing a 90 mph ball of black and white fur darting from room to room

Not waking up and seeing a precious little angel next to me

Not having two hours a day of interactive play

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of the above plus...
Being able to type a message on my computer without a big furry kitty plopping down on my hands.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where do you start on this? My house is both cat proofed and cat friendly that I just take my lifestyle with the cats as normal. But let me try to add to the outstanding things already said:

Never having to explain to people that cat trees ARE furniture.

Being able to sprawl on the sofa without being instantly "trapped" by a few cats.

Being able to drink water out of an open glass.

Scooping ice cream without Muddy licking the top of the bowl.

Knowing the difference between a crash in the house for something unimportant versus an "oops, I think that's an expensive one".

Learning to ignore the sound of the roaring thunder of cat feet on the wood floors in play.

Skipping your favorite TV program because either a) a cat fell asleep on the remote, or b) they fell asleep on you and you can't reach the remote.

I could go on for days........

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh! These are just great!

Here's a few of mine:

Being able to roll over at night unhindered, because I have to either a) not roll over or b) become a contortion artist in order to flip over while not disturbing the cat snuggled up in the crook of my legs and repositioning so she is still snuggled.

Being able to leave food unattended. (Actually mine aren't bad with this, but there are still certain foods that can't be left sitting without a guard!)

Not losing your seat as soon as you get up, since it's nice and warm. Following that, having more than 1-2" to position your butt so as not to disturb them too terribly.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are alot of things but I think they are the same worries that parents of human babies have too. I scope out the house on a constant basis thinking of all the bad stuff that Reilly could get into and I'm always doing kitty proofing duties.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one
Not being caught in "compromising positions" with your husband or s/o or better yet not having an audience while in said position
OR, (this is a bit naughty
) Your husband or s/o having a "passenger" tryin to "hitch a ride on thier back" while in that compromising position!
Trust me, this HAS happened in my house!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Making sure that no important letters or papers are left anywhere, or you will come back to shreds.

Also making sure that there is always a spare roll of toilet paper up where the cats can't reach it (but you can) in case they got in a mood to shred the one on the holder!

If you break anything (especially glass), being extra careful to get every last bit up, mindful of little paws.

Oh, and checking every cupboard before you close it, in case someone had a mind to explore while it was open!