What Did You Believe......As A Child?

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard a siren today and it brought back a memory
which prompted me to start this thread.

We lived on a corner house. Whenever I'd hear an ambulance, or police, siren turn the corner where I'd lived, the siren would suddenly come to a stop! I thought they were stopping since they're arrived at their destination...... MY HOUSE!!!!

Fact was, as they drove through any and all interesections, the siren was used, then were shut off once they passed through.
So, as a child, I believed the sirens stopped since they were coming to my house.

What were some of YOUR beliefs............other than Santa Clause?

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Street lights go out when i pass under them because of, um, this huge magnetic field i got goin on around me? I know its just coincidence, but what the heck, I admit it, I am on a power trip at just such a moment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That "Wonder Bread" actually would make me grow taller!

And........P.F. Flyers (sneakers) actually did make me run faster and jump higher!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father told me that clouds were mashed potatoes........believed that for a while...thanks Dad!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

My father told me that clouds were mashed potatoes........believed that for a while...thanks Dad!
That's funny!

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was little, my grandmother told me that trees were actually very old people that had died and gone to heaven. They had such great wisdom that heaven returned them to the earth so they could watch over others and shelter them from harm. She said to look for the largest, oldest, craggiest trees and respect them the most like an old person with many lines in their face.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ccoccocats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

When I was little, my grandmother told me that trees were actually very old people that had died and gone to heaven. They had such great wisdom that heaven returned them to the earth so they could watch over others and shelter them from harm. She said to look for the largest, oldest, craggiest trees and respect them the most like an old person with many lines in their face.
Wow!
That's deep!

Yet very comforting!

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we were on a 2 lane road at night, I would cover my eyes when we passed a car because I believed the bright headlights would cause me to go blind. I also believed that people were fat because they were full of water from drinking too much of it.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That's sweet.
The only thing I can think of is that when I was really young, I used to think that any toys lost outside in the winter snow would evaporate into the sky in the spring. I only believed that until age 30 or so.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

That's sweet.
The only thing I can think of is that when I was really young, I used to think that any toys lost outside in the winter snow would evaporate into the sky in the spring. I only believed that until age 30 or so.
Vintage Ryan!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

thats what my mother said but im terrified of trees

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to think that my mum would give me the mean baby sitter and she had to go and visit my brothers and sisters.
Then i got really sick of it because it wasnt fair that i had my mean baby sitter nearly always, and they were hogging my mum

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone remember the commercial for Imperial Margarine? People would eat it and a crown would appear on their head. I begged my mom to buy the stuff and was so disappointed when it didn't happen to me!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to believe that an entire universe existed in the chrome legs of our kitchen table, sort of like the Who's of Whoville. I used to go shake the table to give them earthquakes and things like that. I learned how to take the tops off the chrome legs and then I'd drop bread crumbs in the legs of the table, thinking I was feeding the people of my little Universe. Once my mother caught me dropping the bread crumbs in the table legs, she put a stop to that, right away.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I used to believe that an entire universe existed in the chrome legs of our kitchen table, sort of like the Who's of Whoville. I used to go shake the table to give them earthquakes and things like that. I learned how to take the tops off the chrome legs and then I'd drop bread crumbs in the legs of the table, thinking I was feeding the people of my little Universe. Once my mother caught me dropping the bread crumbs in the table legs, she put a stop to that, right away.
....Hope you're making me smile...that is just like you to be generous and kind: feeding the people.

BTW, Cheryl, I do love this thread. I hope MANY answer.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Anyone remember the commercial for Imperial Margarine? People would eat it and a crown would appear on their head. I begged my mom to buy the stuff and was so disappointed when it didn't happen to me!
That's hilarious! I would believe stuff like that from commercials. It's so disappointing isn't it?
I remember seing commercials for a brand of potato chips called "Crunchers" or something. In the commercials the chips made a really loud crunch sound when people ate them. I believed they would crunch that loud. One day we finally had them and I was really disappointed that they didn't crunch like that.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad is mostly bald (just has hair on the sides) and when I was little he used to wear a hairpiece (thank god he stopped that). Well anyway, I was always wondering where his hair had gone and one day when we were walking out to his car it was quite windy out and my dad explained to me that I better hold onto my hair, because it was a windy day "like today that made me lose all of my hair!" For years if it was windy out I would end up running outside as fast as I could to get to the car or wherever I was going...holding my hair down for fear it would blow away! My dad always thought that was hilarious.

My dad and brother always told me that broccoli was little trees that they uprooted from the ground. I only believed that one for a few years when I was very small.

I also used to think that the cereal Kix would make me kick higher. I'd eat it and then start seeing how high I could kick. I actually thought it worked there for a while until a couple of years passed and I finally realized that it was all the dancing I did making me more flexible, not the cereal!!

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I believed that I could fly. Yes, I really believed it, perhaps for several years. I suspect that I must have dreamed about it often, as I can still picture myself flying over those mountains and plains. For some reason, though, I didn't want anyone else to know that I could fly, so I always kept it a secret and never tried to fly if other humans were present. It is a good thing that I didn't go out and try to jump off the barn when no one was around. On a farm, I had plenty of alone time to try it out in the day time. Good thing I didn't.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was about 6 or 7, I used to think that clouds moving across the sky were actually staying still and just looked like they were moving because the earth rotates.

Once, when I was very little, like 3, I was rubbing my closed eyes and thought I could see a town square at christmas time (all the lights were just me stimulating my retina, but anyway.....) I told my mum and she said "that's just your imagination", but I took her literally. So, until I was like 5, I thought I could actually look INTO my imagination by rubbing my eyes.