What could this wincing/quivering be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I don't understand why the vet didn't give your cat prednisolone instead. But, regardless increased drinking and urination are common to both - not the reverse.

The only other thing to do - IN ADDITION to calling the vet - is to look around to see if he has peed somewhere else besides the litter box. I noticed my cat was not using the litter box as frequently as normal, and it turned out she was peeing other places. Given her CKD, it was hard to see or smell because most cats with CKD have dilute urine. She is being tested for a UTI as we speak. In the past when she has had UTIs she never cried or peed outside the litter box, so those symptoms cannot be relied upon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kauzmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't understand why the vet didn't give your cat prednisolone instead. But, regardless increased drinking and urination are common to both - not the reverse.

The only other thing to do - IN ADDITION to calling the vet - is to look around to see if he has peed somewhere else besides the litter box. I noticed my cat was not using the litter box as frequently as normal, and it turned out she was peeing other places. Given her CKD, it was hard to see or smell because most cats with CKD have dilute urine. She is being tested for a UTI as we speak. In the past when she has had UTIs she never cried or peed outside the litter box, so those symptoms cannot be relied upon.
Yeah, he definitely hasn't gone outside the box anywhere. He just passed a small stool, which isn't normal for him and it did have a good clump of hair in it. I wonder if he's just really constipated and that's keeping home from wanting to urinate also. I'm giving him laxatone to see if that will help. I did contact the vet and waiting to hear back. I to would like to know why he's not on prednisolone. Reading up on it, seems like that's whats most recommended. This ping pong back and forth in my head feels like I'm in purgatory. Just wish answers/diagnosis came easier but these little guys can't talk. The guessing game is crushing.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The other thing prednisone does is suppress the immune system. Is he possibly sick and not feeling well? Stress from going to the vet, having to take meds, and the pred could bring on an illness, usually a UTI or upper respiratory infection. Do you have an ear thermometer to take his temp?

kauzmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure the meds have him not feeling too great. She had him on antibiotics in case of an upper respiratory infection before the prednisone and that really messed up his tummy and she told me to stop halfway thru a 10 day course and it's been a week and a half since we stopped the antibiotics. and then we started the prednisone. I'm just hoping he gets thru this Prednisone course to see if he perks back up, he's over a week in and hasn't started to taper the dose. He did just urinate again, so that's twice in the last 9 hours. So thats better then the 19 hours, that was baffling. I have an ear thermometer for people but assuming there's a car specific? Appreciate the replies.

kauzmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He HAS started to taper down off pred is what I meant to say, still a week and a half left tho. Here's a pic of him in all his majesty from a few years ago. He's been the best companion. Always wanting to be held over your shoulder and always wanting to be with me and explore outside together and loves car rides. Just hope he comes out of this and is at least comfortable and can enjoy some nice sunny days.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He HAS started to taper down off pred is what I meant to say, still a week and a half left tho. Here's a pic of him in all his majesty from a few years ago. He's been the best companion. Always wanting to be held over your shoulder and always wanting to be with me and explore outside together and loves car rides. Just hope he comes out of this and is at least comfortable and can enjoy some nice sunny days.
What a gorgeous photo. Definitely write down how often he pees and how much (large, small, regular clumps) so you can look back over the next few weeks and notice any patterns of improvement or problems. :)

kauzmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just glanced at the water we give him. Normally the green label bottle is spring water and red is distilled but I guess they make a distilled with a green label at this other store we went to. So he's been drinking distilled for a week or two, so ph balance may be off as well as electrolytes. If he has developed some crystalization I hope that can resolve itself with the water switch.

kauzmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's definitely constipated, he tried pooping several times today and only small amounts and he was straining, he then urinated half his usual amount and he looks uncomfortable. I'm giving him laxatone cause there has been some hair in the stool. I also got him to eat a teaspoon of pumpkin. Is miralax an option? I'm thinking the constipation is affecting urine output/frequency.

kauzmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got back from the vet to pick up his blood pressure med and asked about miralax and they said sprinkle a 1/4 teaspoon over his food? They said it doesn't need to be diluted. He eats dry food tho.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have always heard that Miralax works better when mixed with just enough water to dissolve it. If he eats wet food add it to just a bite or so and wait till he eats that before giving more food so you know he has taken the full dose. If need be, the Miralax can be added to a lickable treat instead - or even baby food meat as mentioned above. I would not advise relying on sprinkling it over dry food. And be careful of giving him both laxatone and Miralax. Also, in some cats, pumpkin can actually contribute to constipation. It is a fiber, and if fiber is not what he needs, it could make matters worse.

There has been some recent dialog about there being a back and forth with the constipation and urine - as in a cat holding his pee because it hurts to poop and vice versa. However, he should be peeing more in volume when he does pee if that would be the case. Less pee could be from dehydration too. Get him to drink more - maybe the adjustment in his water source will help.

Did you ask the vet about why prednisone as opposed to prednisolone?

kauzmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have always heard that Miralax works better when mixed with just enough water to dissolve it. If he eats wet food add it to just a bite or so and wait till he eats that before giving more food so you know he has taken the full dose. If need be, the Miralax can be added to a lickable treat instead - or even baby food meat as mentioned above. I would not advise relying on sprinkling it over dry food. And be careful of giving him both laxatone and Miralax. Also, in some cats, pumpkin can actually contribute to constipation. It is a fiber, and if fiber is not what he needs, it could make matters worse.

There has been some recent dialog about there being a back and forth with the constipation and urine - as in a cat holding his pee because it hurts to poop and vice versa. However, he should be peeing more in volume when he does pee if that would be the case. Less pee could be from dehydration too. Get him to drink more - maybe the adjustment in his water source will help.

Did you ask the vet about why prednisone as opposed to prednisolone?
Unfortunately the vet wasn't there. I did email her about the choice of Prednisone vs prednisolone, we'll see. Would just putting miralax in water work? We get him to drink from a cup pretty well. I will grab some baby food and see if he'll try that with miralax but he's notorious for not wanting to touch anything that resembles wet food. If I put a couple bits of turkey in the baby food, he may take it that way, that's how we got him to lap up the pumpkin. Thanks for all the replies!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would just putting miralax in water work?
That would work if it is a very, very tiny amount of water. You can't add it a water dish, too diluted and no way to know how much of it he would get. How about some of the gravies? I use Lil Gravies which are just a tiny bit thicker than broths. Whatever you use in terms of liquid, it needs to be a very small amount to ensure he gets it all.

kauzmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's good at taking his gabapentin in a syringe. Could I do this with the miralax mixed in a tiny bit of water?

kauzmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He went around 18 hours without urinating but it was closer to his normal volume and he has been drinking ok after. He was kind of lip smacking and a gulping sound periodically thru the night and for him that usually indicates a hairball bugging him. I gave him just under a 1/4 teaspoon of miralax last night in a syringe and again this morning, just waiting for that to kick in. I think those antibiotics a couple weeks ago just really messed him up. I do have some fortiflora packets, wondering if a little bit of that would be helpful or just wait? I have a rectal digital thermometer coming today to see if he's way off on temp is sick. If he doesn't have a decent bowel movement today and goes another long stretch without urinating, then I'm taking him in tomorrow for an emergency appt.

kauzmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did order some proviable, that seems more recommended vs fortiflora?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Antibiotics are more inclined to cause loose stools or diarrhea than constipation. So, while his gut may be messed up from them, the constipation/urination issues are probably not directly connected. Fortifora is a pretty weak probiotic, it is best for enticing a cat to eat because many seem to love the flavor. I am not sure what probiotic to recommend otherwise, but just about any other would be more beneficial than Fortiflora, so maybe Proviable is a good place to start.

kauzmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the baby food recommendation, he lapped up the turkey flavor, I only did a little bit to see if he'd like it and he loved it, so that's helpful for anything I may need to mix in for him or as a topper for his dry food. How much/how often can baby food be used?

kauzmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did just check his temp rectally and not sure I inserted the necessary amount prob just past 1/2 inch, he wasn't happy but the reading was 97.8. For small pets it said an inch insertion and for larger pets 2-3 inches. He's close to 16 lbs. Not sure if they'd qualify that on the larger size or not. I guess if I get another reading below 99, should I worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.