What colour is my cat?

czygyny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sudden switch from grey to orange with the patterning just fascinates me. I like calico and tortoiseshell genetics anyway,  but the patch-work stripes tickles my eyes. 

madelinegloria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Irritates me when people mix up tortoiseshell and calico - two completely different colours lol.
Torties have zero white on them.
Obviously there are variants of both colours like the tabby-calico colour or a faded calico, even a black tortie.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Irritates me when people mix up tortoiseshell and calico - two completely different colours lol.
Torties have zero white on them.
Obviously there are variants of both colours like the tabby-calico colour or a faded calico, even a black tortie.
I have been learned, calico isnt necessary with white either,

the big difference is, calico has clear cut spots well definied, while torties have more diffuse spots.

Both can be with white. - Seems calicos are very often with white, even making them in practice as tricolored.

But if I got it right, while a good tricolor is a calico, a good two-color is too a calico.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

souty2hideycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have read in cat colouring books about tortishells being of both variations with some having white in.

madelinegloria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah of course there are variations but that's just plainly put - I have seen Torties with a few white flecks or a bit on their chin.
That's just genetics for you, I've seen male calico's and Torties too - though obviously sterile and extremely rare :)