What "childish" things do you still enjoy?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still enjoy and participate in many things that are seen as "childish" or are at least primarily geared towards kids. But I would not consider myself as immature, it's just I still find joy in the simplicity of childish things and the nostalgia that participating in such things brings.
I often gravitate towards kid or family movies (Pixar and Disney animations for example) and still enjoy watching cartoons that I watched as a kid (not a fan of most new cartoons) we even have some TV cartoon collections on DVD (He-man and She-Ra, Thundercats etc...).
I also still enjoy playing board games, and not just more "adult" games such as Trivial Pursuit or Scrabble (which I do enjoy) but also ones like snakes and ladders.
I still love building with Legos, although I don't buy them, I have on occasion gotten a kit as a "fun gift", and had a blast building it.
I still color, and did so even before they came out with adult coloring books, which I am very glad for because it was hard to find more "challenging" coloring books before.
Even things like jumping on a trampoline and jump rope are fun, even though I don't last as long. The head says yes but the body...not so much.
And I don't care what anyone says.....people who fart at an "inopportune time" is funny! I may react as an adult on the outside, but darn "toot'n'" (pun intended) I'm laughing my butt off inside. It's like getting a case of the giggles when you know you're not supposed to laugh. The more you try to stop yourself, the funnier it is.

So how about you? Are you still young at heart? What childish things do you like doing or think is still funny?

Last edited:

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I still enjoy a fork of Arch Linux that is so geeky you've never even heard of it, lol. I like window managers better than desktop environments and I like to do things myself in command line instead of clicking/tapping on pretty pictures and looking at television commercials on embedded media players.

Most adults seem to find that very childish, since it is just a hobby. I have no interest whatsoever in taking an adult ed class in microsoft windows so that adults will think I am "looking for a job" and let me have fun, lol.

I also love children's literature. I borrowed a Joan Aiken novel from my Little Free Library.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like "childish" jokes. Your momma jokes, blonde jokes, knock knock, puns, fart jokes, etc. Funny is funny and if you're honest with yourself you never really grow out of it, you just stop so you don't look bad infront of others.

And I don't care what anyone says.....people who fart at an "inopportune time" is funny! I may react as an adult on the outside, but darn "toot'n'" (pun intended) I'm laughing my butt off inside. It's like getting a case of the giggles when you know you're not supposed to laugh. The more you try to stop yourself, the funnier it is.
You mean like this?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
people who fart at an "inopportune time" is funny! I may react as an adult on the outside, but darn "toot'n'" (pun intended) I'm laughing my butt off inside.
I hate farting. It stinks so bad and pollutes my air. My father & 3 brothers always say they can't help it. Well eat something different! :lol:

For childish things that I enjoy-- I really like reading childrens books. I also enjoy some kid movies, not cartoons though, but I do like live action/cartoon movies.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
It turns out that I could spend $120 for a piece of paper to "prove" that I am not an insane person babbling random syllables:

but I just never thought I should have to do that about a hobby. :flail:

Please don't ever give up writing fanfiction or any of the other pleasures that make you who you are. People tend to get better at the things we enjoy, and then we just naturally want to share that joy with others.

Co-operation is human nature, not competition.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll choose a Disney movie over anything else. They're wholesome and I don't have to read too far into them.

Kind of related: my brother and I ate food geared towards babies for waaaaay too long (not as our sole food, but as a snack). We used to buy Gerber pureed sweet potatoes, warm it up, and eat it with slices of cheddar cheese. Why that combination, I'll never know, but we ate them well into elementary school and possibly as late as middle school for me (I'm older by three years). It was our secret, we only ate it at home. I have only told four other people that we did this! I confronted my mom about this later. Mom said she didn't care we ate it as long as we did because we were getting some vegetables in our diet :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of related: my brother and I ate food geared towards babies for waaaaay too long
OMG! I sometimes buy baby food...and not for my cats either! I like to get the fruit ones for a little snack. Strawberry is my favorite.
I haven't in a while though, I might just have to get myself a jar.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! I sometimes buy baby food...and not for my cats either! I like to get the fruit ones for a little snack. Strawberry is my favorite.
When I worked in a pediatric outpatient facility, one of the services performed was speech and feeding therapy. I snagged those little yogurt melt things whenever I could. Oh man they were delicious!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I feel very fortunate having worked in Special Education with students from Early Childhood through middle school. The children are not only loving but nonjudgemental and I feel comfortable enjoying all their favorite movies, books, songs and games. I literally plop myself down and join in whatever activity they are doing. But most of all I like drawing with them. I love to draw their favorite characters whether it's a puppet on Sesame Street, Elsa or Anna from the movie Frozen, a super hero, etc.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still play pokemon, along with many other games, though that isn't so unusual anymore. I also read and on rare occasions write fanfiction. It's perfect for a lazy writer like me; I only have to do half the work since the characters already exist and I have a built in audience (not to disparage some of the legitimately good writers who write fanfiction, and put a lot of work into it; I'm just rather unmotivated even if my work isn't bad).

I also cosplay! Not very often, but it's fun to build props, if a little difficult at times (I thought the thermal plastic burns would never heal a year or two back, and I ruined at least one cutting board with a heat gun). I know quite a few other adult cosplayers though, so I guess that's another thing that remains fun even as an adult.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid I wanted this small brown teddy bear so much, brought by an uncle from Canada. Despite me obviously expressing my interest with the stuffed bear, neither my aunt or uncle gave it to me. I took it (my secret resentment) with me as I grew up, so now I have a collection of teddy bears of all sizes in my house - mostly they are gifts from my husband. Until now, when I pass by a Teddy Bear shop, it still makes me stop and smile.

And yes, whenever my niece or daughter wants a teddy bear, I buy for them. :)