What Breed is My Cat?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you adopt her from a shelter or rescue? I guess she doesn't have papers... She really looks Persian to me, or a very close mix thereof. She has a round, stocky body, a flat face, long fur... I would be surprised if that particular combination had come about by chance from a random-bred population.

Here are some examples of purebred Persians to compare to:
http://www.cfa.org/Breeds/BreedsKthruR/Persian.aspx

Five months old... I wonder if someone dumped her; maybe she came from one of the unscrupulous "kitten mill" type breeders--people who try to breed kittens for the money, often sell to pet shops, don't give them adequate care, etc. (If you're wondering why I say unscrupulous to breed cats for profit: If you breed kittens and you give them good quality care, you generally break even; so trying to breed for profit inevitably leads to poor quality care.) Or it could be that someone's Persian cat got out and impregnated a queen, and this kitten takes after its father.

You may never know, but for the purpose of veterinary care, it might be good to assume Persian or some relative thereof, since they do have some health problems that are more common to them than for most cats.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im agreeing with Callista.

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nofnof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I adopted her from a pets shop, she has papers and vaccinated. 

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guessed Persian mostly because of how common they are, compared to British Longhair/Shorthair cats; but I don't think you could tell which one of the two was actually present in a mixed breed or pet-quality cat, with how closely they are related to the Persians.

From what I've read, Persians are complicated. There are two different versions out there--the newer, but more official breed standard, with very flat face that's pretty much straight up and down; and the older "traditional" version, with a round head and short nose. Both versions have long fur and round, stocky bodies. The kitten in this topic would be more of a moderate Persian, the way they used to be before the extreme type. Maybe they're even more common. Lots of people (including me, admittedly) don't like the look of an extreme Persian. Not that I'd dislike the cat; it's impossible to dislike a cat just because of how it looks. So the traditional Persian is still being bred and sold.

Yes, I'd say the kitty in your photo has a flat face as well. :) Not extreme, but still notably different from the average moggy's.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my.  It is NOT what WE call for the certificate.  WE mean certificate from an serious, approved cat association, like  Fife, GCCF, Tica...   Or at least, a so called Indenpendent Club.

YOURS is some sort of paper from the Pet shop chain itself...  Surely better than nothing, they try to take some responsibility for what they sell, but NOT the real thing.

What they write for breed?  Apparently they write down a mix. I dont either see what the first sort is, the second mix in is a misspelled(!)  Chartreux.

ps.  I wonder if this Chanshella is a misspelled Chinchilla.  Which is not a cat breed, but chinchilla is some sort of long haired small animal of some sort...  So what they essentially say, it is some sort of mixed longhaired Chartreux.

I dont even mention grey is called for blue in the cat peoples world.

A cat person would prob instead say about the breed, it wanting to take a wild guess:  

Angora x chartreux, taking the same wild guesss.     :)

ps.2.  These mysterious stamps, I hope they are some sort of vet / vaccinations stamps, and for real, not just fancy ones.  If so, THESE do have some worth, showing some basic work and care was really done.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
nofnof, I think you may come from the Middle East?  There is a Pets' Oasis in Riyadh?

Things are, of course, done differently in different countries.  I'm not sure what the situation is where you are regarding breeders etc.

Whatever the breed, I think your kitty is absolutely gorgeous

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you have got is a pet health carnet, which the vet will stamp each time she gets vaccinated or treated for a serious illness. Her microchip number will be in there somewhere too, usually on the front page. It is proof that the cat has been vaccinated for rabies etc. It is a good idea to attach a photo of the cat too, when you get a chance. But it is not a breed certificate, which would have her pedigree as well.

Vets and often pet shops, have no ideas on breeds. I had a carnet once that said my cat's breed was 'Tabby' when the cat herself was black and white! When I queried this, he said that he called all domestic cats 'tabby' regardless of colour or appearance.

Gorgeous cat, though.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
nofnof, I think you may come from the Middle East?  There is a Pets' Oasis in Riyadh?

Things are, of course, done differently in different countries.  I'm not sure what the situation is where you are regarding breeders etc.

Whatever the breed, I think your kitty is absolutely gorgeous
Ah, so these funny signs in the stamp, looking exactly like arabic writing,  IS arabic writing?

So I understand now these stamps were not at all peculiar looking, - but in good, correct arabic!

and it is more understable the breed spelling was how it was...  It is not easy either to spell correctly complicated foreign terms, when your native letters and sounds are totally different... 

I suppose I should rewrite my foregoing, somewhat hasty post...  But I let it stand to be a memento. We everyone do learn here more and more with every day. So I did here me too.

And this one  was also a lesson for me: To say a truth is one thing, but it is also prudent to word it nicely, not just hastily jump on.    :)

Sorry if someone felt uncomfortable!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's not a registration paper/book.. And I've never heard of a chaushella. If it's supposed to say chinchilla, that's not a breed either, it's a colour present in several breeds. Chertaux probably means Chartreux, but that's a very rare breed and I do not think she's got any Chartreux in her. Chartreuxes only come in blue, so an outcross to any breed chinchilla would produce just moggies (domestic longhairs/shorthairs).

Your cat is a blue domestic longhair.

nofnof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
you know this is the first time I have a pet in my house. and honestly I don't know what you are saying is good or bad. I think my cat is persian mixed breed, and yeah I live in the middle  east in Riyadh, and here they dont have the UK standards of course. so do you think I made a good choice when I got her ?

here is another picture 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, as long you are entirely happy with an persian mix breed,,   Im sure you did made an excellent choice!   You cant get better than here, as long it is not a pure breed.   Lets also hope she is healthy.  :)

It would be a pity if somebody told you it is a purebreed persian or Chartreux or whatever, and you believed it was so.  But it was not so, they themselves wrote her up as a mix.   this   "x"

We here on this forum are not happy with pet shops selling cats, but as Mani says - different countries different solutions.  Yours pet shops apparently does cooperate with a vet, and they at yours place are making the usual vet check ups and vaccinations.  Good.

It is not always so in western pet shops.   :(

We have heard neutering is not used in Saudi. If you anyway can talk your vet into it, it will be even better.  We do believe in neutering if you arent a breeder.

Much joy and good luck!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she is probably a Persian mix as has been suggested. Or in the Middle East they have some cats called Persians or Shirazi Persians who don't look like the current breed standard in the cat fancy for Persians. but they do probably look something like the original cats who became the foundation of the Persian breed long ago. There are some of them that probably are bred in controlled breeding , but are not registered with a cat registry. So she might be that sort of cat. and it could be that the two things they wrote down were more trying to describe the color of the parents ( maybe not even accurately)Chinchilla is a type of pattern, but I think in cats, this term was originally most used in Persians. It's possible they just used that word to mean Persian, or a Persian-type cat. Chartreux is a rare breed of blue cat originally from France, they always come in this color. I doubt she really has any pedigreed Chartreux, so they may have just meant one of the parents had this blue color. Maybe one of the parents was a shorthair blue cat carrying the longhair gene? .............................................. Anyway, she is a very cute cat and i hope you will be very happy! Make sure you get her used to combing her fur while she is still young. You will need to comb her every day so she does not get her fur tangled and matted. Congratulations!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting analysis, Maewkaw. You may have right on both accounts, a) this a fairly pure Shirazi Persian,

and b ) the "wild guessing" on parentage-mix was sooner a try to describing the parents colors...

Once upon a time cats, particularly persians, were sorted by colors... I had myself seen an older british cat book, with perhaps 20 different persians... Ie, each possible color = different breed.   :)

Today, persians are persians as different colors are allowed. The only remnant is the Himalayan, who is = pointed persian.

nofnof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I visited the vet today , he told me that my cat is a chinchilla, and this a rare breed ! 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chinchilla isn't a breed in itself---it's a color variety of Persian: http://www.catsofaustralia.com/chinchilla-cat-description.htm

Also, most vets are just terrible at breed guesses, no better than any person on the street, really (unless the vet is a breeder or works with a lot of breeders).

She certainly is very pretty! Make sure you learn how to groom her long fur, as Persians can get very matted very quickly without proper grooming.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen "Chinchilla" referred to (casually) as the breed of a Chinchilla Persian sometimes, kind of the way a pointed Persian is called Himalayan. Still, this kitty isn't chinchilla; she's blue (that is, gray).

I wonder if the "Chinchilla" on the cat certificate is the color of one of the parents, if perhaps one parent was a Chinchilla Persian? That would leave us at the same conclusion--Persian mix--and make a little sense of the certificate too.

She does have a really beautiful face, doesn't she? You should stick around and post more photos in the Fur Pictures section, so we can see her grow up!