What Breed is My Cat?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I remember correctly the certificate isn't a pedigree or registration document, it's the cat's vaccination record.  I suspect wroting 'Chincilla & Chartreux' is the vet's way of saying it's a blue self that looks quite a bit like a Persian.  It certainly can't be that mix - the kittens would all be shorthair, plus the Chartreux is vanishingly rare in most countries.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are other breeds with chinchilla colour too, it's not just Persians, though is probably most common among them (and BSHs).
In GCCF it's only called Chincilla in Persians - it's called Tipped in other breeds with that colour which describes it well.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In GCCF it's only called Chincilla in Persians - it's called Tipped in other breeds with that colour which describes it well.
So chinchilla and shaded are both called 'tipped' in GCCF? How do people know the difference if picture is not provided?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, shaded is shaded in other breeds - I think it's cameo in Persians... Thankfully they don't have their own name for smoke! Will post a link later but I'm using the phone at present.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nofnof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've seen "Chinchilla" referred to (casually) as the breed of a Chinchilla Persian sometimes, kind of the way a pointed Persian is called Himalayan. Still, this kitty isn't chinchilla; she's blue (that is, gray).

I wonder if the "Chinchilla" on the cat certificate is the color of one of the parents, if perhaps one parent was a Chinchilla Persian? That would leave us at the same conclusion--Persian mix--and make a little sense of the certificate too.

She does have a really beautiful face, doesn't she? You should stick around and post more photos in the Fur Pictures section, so we can see her grow up!
Hi 

I've uploaded some pics of her 

check them out 

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/255599/my-chinchilla-5-months-kitten

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, shaded is shaded in other breeds - I think it's cameo in Persians... Thankfully they don't have their own name for smoke! Will post a link later but I'm using the phone at present.
OK, I'm totally confused about what is what in Persians, but in other breeds tipped and shaded are called tipped & shaded.  Can't find a link that explains it all clearly.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I'm totally confused about what is what in Persians, but in other breeds tipped and shaded are called tipped & shaded.  Can't find a link that explains it all clearly.
Cameo is with red or cream. Fifé & TICA have shaded & chinchilla in all breeds (that recognize those), Fifé has different EMS codes for them too. 'Tipped' is something I heard first time maybe 2 years ago and was very confused. Then there's of course 'shell' to make things even more confusing. Shell=chinchilla pattern in goldens (mostly).

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like the GCCF might be switching to EMS codes - using them for new registrations at some future date, and gradually the current ones will drop off the end of pedigrees.

http://www.gccfcats.org/pdf/CouncilMeetings/Feb13/C1926 EMS Codes.pdf

Not sure how different (if it is) this is to TICA / FIFE / CFA or indeed those are to each other, but I gather that the current list of breeds takes an A5 booklet and this is one sheet of paper!

And not listed there are Chincilla, cameo and shell.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
i assume its either a shirazi or a serbian cat
Desho, please explain, what is a serbian cat?

I can surely google, and I understand it is some sort of persian old type, but I do want YOU to explain and making us all richer by YOU participating.    :)

Welcome to our Forums!

royweatherby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maine Coon Himalayan Mix

I was allergic all my life to cats until this one appeared at my door.  After about a year I slowly discovered her fur was as coarse as my own hair.  My allergies have not acted up since she made her way into the home eventually taking place on her favorite cat perch I install on the window frame.