What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
DominCat.  He seems to be a beauty!  Could you please send more pics?

I tried to lighten up the pic, and saw better. Beauty, but what breed look alike Im not sure of.

Does he have a masque on the face?   Ie the face darker then the body?  But the tail doesnt seem to be darker?  With points, they usually have masque, and darker ears and tail.

Come again, so we shall see.    :)

Good luck!

ravenjays

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I have a cat named Mimi, and I really dont know what breed he is. Somebody please help! I love him to deat and he is the most adorable kitty ever
!

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His face is a bit darker than the rest of his body. These are the best pictures I have of him... he kind of tend to curl into a ball whenever I have the camera around...

DominoCat.

The easy answer is to say he is a domestic longhair.  Which technically is surely correct.

I think he is a point, even if the tail doesnt seem to be darker than the body.

Possibly a point from burmese point gene, not the much more common siamese point gene.

The color is bewildering.  I suspect the reason is he is smoke, that is why the color is bewildering...

But shall we be content with the aeasy answers?  You want to know what look alike he is...

OK, I shall take the plunge, (although the very last photo is baffling me).

The body shape on most pics perhaps like a ragdoll.

I hope others (Maew!)  wants to comment them too.

Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat has black tail xx
AtlantaMay.

Black blotches at ears, black tail, fair (=light) body - so its Van pattern.

Now, on this extra pic you send to my PM box, she has also black blotches on the body.

So  Harlequin is perhaps the most adequate description.   Or Van and Harlequin.  

It sounds better than Van with blotches.

Beatiful cat!

Good luck!

dominocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
DominoCat.

The easy answer is to say he is a domestic longhair.  Which technically is surely correct.

Possibly a point from burmese point gene, not the much more common siamese point gene.

The color is bewildering.  I suspect the reason is he is smoke, that is why the color is bewildering...

But shall we be content with the aeasy answers?  You want to know what look alike he is...

Good luck!
Maybe I should've mentioned that he had just gotten a bath at the last picture... I didn't realize until looking right now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ravenjays.  Mimi is shorthaired domestic.  It only a few procent of cats who do belong to any especial breed, or are mixes thereupon.  Most dont belong to any especial breed...

They are just our beloved cats!

His pattern is  Mackerel Tabby and White.

Good luck!

ravenjays

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ravenjays.  Mimi is shorthaired domestic.  It only a few procent of cats who do belong to any especial breed, or are mixes thereupon.  Most dont belong to any especial breed...
They are just our beloved cats!

His pattern is  Mackerel Tabby and White.

Good luck!
Thank you!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Domino Cat  

Well , that is a beautiful cat, and l am having the same thoughts as Stefan about color / pattern  --   

I do think this cat looks like a Smoke  ( that means all the hairs would be white at the roots,  and the undercoat is white) . and that can confuse things by making some of the coat appear lighter .    it would make sense that the part with shorter fur and less undercoat could look darker --  and that itself could make a cat appear to have a sepia pattern.  

But another confusing thing is the color looks different in different photos.    In the first 2 photos  the color looks more dark brown.   In the next 3 photos ,  the  color looks more  black.   

So I can only narrow the color / pattern down to  Black Smoke or Seal Sepia Smoke    with  Chocolate Smoke also in the running but not so likely.  

It could be he's a Black Smoke,  and for some reason 2 of the photos just look more brown  due to the camera or lighting  or something like that.....   or it could be the cat being in the sun a lot might have turned his black coat brownish ,  which is something that does sometimes happen.   It would help if you could give some clues as to why the color would look different in the photos and if you have seen a color change in the cat in real life .

Or  this cat might  be a Seal Sepia Smoke  The Sepia pattern  originally came from the Burmese  but has been bred into  some other breeds.      It's like the pointed pattern (like in a Siamese or Himalayan)  but Sepia is much more subtle,  with less contrast even when they are young ( when pointed cats have a lot of contrast).   In Burmese  the darkest version is called Sable.     but in other breeds,  TICA usually calls it ' Seal Sepia"    That is far more unusual than a pointed pattern cat.  Both pointed and sepia patterns have to be inherited from both parents in order to show.  But there are many pointed moggies because the pointed gene has been widely spread into the cat populations in many countries,  and has been bred into many breeds.     The gene for the sepia pattern of the Burmese is much less common.  IF he is Sepia,  he might be part Ragamuffin or non-standard Ragdoll     or  part Burmese (well it would definitely go back to Burmese ancestors,  but there's no knowing how far back ) 

OR ( the much less likely possibility )  his base color is really Chocolate,   and due to the differences in amount of white undercoat,  some parts of him like face and paws just appear darker.    but I don't see how a chocolate would look so Black  as this cat looks in 3 photos.    

I am kind of leaning towards Black Smoke with a bleached out coat.   That might come from many breeds -- or cats of no particular breed,  since the breeds got it from the moggies!   

He doesn't look just like any one breed.   and not knowing his ancestry he would be called a " Domestic Longhair"   

He's just gorgeous! 
DominoCat.

Good luck!

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
guit4rheroine,   your cat certainly does have similar markings to that cat in the photo.   but as Franksmom explained ,  Aegean Cat is just the name given to some cats on Greek islands.   It's not like they are much exported elsewhere and bred as a breed.      There are lots of cats all over the world with this pattern -- it's called Brown Tabby and White.         It's a genetic combination of Black  plus  the Agouti gene that makes the tabby pattern show up distinctly,   plus White Spotting inherited from at least one parent --  and with him being mostly white,   both parents may have had some white on them.     ( It could have been just one,  but often when a cat is mostly white ,  it's often because they have 2 copies of White Spotting. ) 

Disco's arrangement of white and color,   if it is white on the head,  tail and a few spots on the body,  is sometimes called a " harlequin pattern" . 

He's probably not any specific breed ( which would be the same as the vast majority of cats,  so he's in good company.)  

And he sure is a good looking  cat!  Such beautiful eyes and  eye liner!   

(Edited because i left out the word " often" ) 

Last edited:

jtrevor99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Perfect!  I was browsing online to try to figure out what type of cat I have, and came across this thread through a generic Google search.

This is Smokie - she is a 20(!) year old female that I've had since the age of 2 months.  She's seen better days - she has to have fluids daily due to kidney failure - but I do still catch her carrying on like a kitten and enjoying life most of the time.

Based on what I've read, I'm guessing brown mackerel tabby or silver mackerel tabby...but the odd thing is, she seems to have characteristics of both.  In the winter time she has a more silvery appearance, and in the summertime, a browner one.

I hope the photos aren't too low of resolution - I can post higher resolution if needed.

Any thoughts?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Welcome to TCS! What a beautiful cat and so wonderful she is 20! You might enjoy looking around at our other threads we have some great info on cat health and nutrition which you may find helpful. I am not so great with colouring as some of our other members on the breeding forum but I would say she looks more like a brown mackerel tabby. 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smoky is a lovely old girl,   looks like she has a lot of life in her.      Some cats can go on quite a while with treatment for kidneys.    

That is interesting about the color change....  I would think it may be because she's growing more undercoat in winter and her undercoat is white or nearly white. 

She really looks more like Brown Mackerel Tabby in some of these .   but I do see some interesting silvery parts.  She MIGHT be genetically Black Silver  Mackerel Tabby but with a lot of "tarnishing" .   She's  probably the result of random breeding,  not selectively bred for the really strong contrast  ( like the famous Silver Tabby American Shorthairs) ,   so it could happen that she is 

The way to tell if she is a silver is look at the roots of her hair.   If she's a silver tabby she will have a white undercoat,  AND the other hairs should also be white at the roots.   and ideally in a silver tabby,  the agouti hairs ( the lighter "background"  color of the tabby pattern)  comes out silver/ white as well ( instead of the tan   or greyish-tan color that is usual in a brown tabby)    but that may not turn out all that way.   because  of  unidentified polygenetic influence  can cause this " tarnishing" .   

looks like she has beautiful eyes! 

jamaipanese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New member here sorry if I am posting this in the wrong area or making a mistake.

I am the proud owner of a new 5-6 month old Kitten I got from local animal shelter here in Jamaica. I actually went to look at the puppies but ended up falling in love with a tiny Calico kitten that sprung from her cage and clinged to my leg. It was love at first hump. Before I knew it I was paying for her neutering and 2 weeks later I was a first time cat owner.

I know that she is definitely not of any specific breed but like others in this thread I would like to know the breed or breeds that she resembles. Before adopting her I knew absolutely nothing about cats and just finding out what a "calico" cat is was quite interesting and makes me feel like my cat who I named "Polar" is quite special. I look forward to learning more from this cat loving community.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have a calico with an unusual pattern. The black face is like a tortoiseshell calico, but the body pattern is harlequin calico.  Welcome to TCS. Thank you for rescuing your beautiful calico kitty.

jamaipanese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have a calico with an unusual pattern. The black face is like a tortoiseshell calico, but the body pattern is harlequin calico.  Welcome to TCS. Thank you for rescuing your beautiful calico kitty.
thank you for your reply.

Her head and tail is mostly black with a bit of brown and black hence the name "Polar" as she is dark at the "poles" with white body

Status
Not open for further replies.