What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Polar has unusual markings. Seems to be a combination of several, so to speak.

I myself even suspect her masque does mask a point...  Ie she is perhaps a point with harlequin blotches.

So not only a van pattern with harlequine (or calico if you prefer this), but also point...

[EDIT -  I see now Maews response - so this is not point, "just" a big handsome masque.   :)  Tx Maew! ]

Van pattern?  Im sure there are the typical van splotches on her head, but invisible because of all the black masque...  The tail is revealing her...

And the extra harlequine splotches yes...

Bewildering with so much to see on one individual.   :)

You were lucky who did found each other!

Good luck!

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, she sure knew what she wanted! Looks like she's got herself a human for life.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Anya´s pattern is black and white, or black and white bicolor.  This here pattern is often called for Tuxedo, as this reminds of the evening jacket.

Breed?  It depends partly on where you do live and her story...  But probably no especial breed, like most of cats.

Domestic Short Hair,  DSH...  Or moggie as some say lovingly.

Good luck!

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Hi and welcome to TCS!  

What a very striking kitten she is!   I can see why she caught your eye.

Polar has a pattern that in America  is sometimes called "Calico" .    The broader description would be "Tortoiseshell and White" ( and that's what she would be called in the UK and in most cat associations except for CFA which uses "Calico" in some breed standards. ) .   People casually use the word  Calico to mean any cat with black, red and white ( or blue, cream and white)   but Polar is a  true  calico by the stricter definiton  -- a Tortie and White cat who is mostly white ,  and with fairly large, distinct patches of red-based  pigment and black-based pigment.   

She's almost certainly the result of random breeding and wouldn't be classified as a specific breed.    though  I suppose the closest would be British Shorthair   though her ears are larger and legs look longer.... but those may be just a kitten phase.   Her round head does have a sort of Brit look.  as do the copper eyes .   If her eyes really look the way  I am seeing it in tis photo ,  that is an unusually deep  color for a moggy!      or American Shorthair.   which is like the pedigreed,  selectively-bred version of the regular shorthair working cats that have been in America since the colonists from Europe came over.  it's like the U.S. equivalent of British Shorthair but less massive and less cobby.     

I may be misunderstanding Stefan,  but Polar is definitely not a pointed cat (or pointed & white) . She would not have such intense color in the patches on her back.    that color is just as deep as the color on her head and tail.   And since she is a kitten,  if she were pointed & white,  the color on her back would hardly show at all,  it would be very pale .

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Anya is very cute!   Are her eyes really so bright green as they look in this first photo?  Wow!

I do like black and white cats.   Cats with this pattern are sometimes nicknamed  "tuxedo cats"  because they look like they are wearing a formal black dinner jacket and white shirt. 

The vast majority of cats in the world aren't classified as "breeds".    Most cats have just bred randomly on their own  and their ancestry is a mix from the general cat population in their part of the world.   sometimes cats in a certain place are recognized as a "natural breed"    but mostly  the breeds  are the result of  selective breeding by humans. And the  random-bred cats are usually referred to as "Domestic Shorthairs"  or "Domestic Longhairs"    ,  or fondly called  "moggies" . 

So she would be a Black and White DSH.    

But  there are some differences,  often subtle,  between cats in different parts of the world.     Somehow just starting from the first picture,  I was wondering if Anya may be from Asia  or maybe the Mediterranean area ?  

There is a big variety in  random-bred cats and I could be wrong.   There are moggies in America and Northern Europe  who do have a similar look    ( maybe in some cases because they have some ancestry from cats from elsewhere).  But to me she doesn't really like a typical Western cat. 

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, that second picture of Anya looks kind of exotic. The big ears and the triangular head, you know? Like maybe several generations back there might've been an Oriental-type cat. Or maybe not, but still--those big ears! What a cutie!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, that second picture of Anya looks kind of exotic. The big ears and the triangular head, you know? Like maybe several generations back there might've been an Oriental-type cat. Or maybe not, but still--those big ears! What a cutie!
  Callista ,   I agree,  that's why I am asking where Anya is from.  If she is from somewhere like North America or Northern Europe,  then I'd say maybe there's some Siamese or Oriental a few generations ago..  

Or she may be from Asia herself. 

It gets complicated since there are  people from all over the world asking "What breed is my cat"  ( or "What breed does my cat resemble?" )  questions on here  and often don't mention their location.   With cats most of them aren't the result of selective breeding... but there ARE some subtle differences in cats from different places. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

Can someone please help me? I would like to know what breed my gorgeous 7 month old girl is! :) thank you
She's a very pretty DSH (domestic shorthair), like the vast majority of cats no specific breed. Her color is tortoiseshell, which means a mix of black and red. Love the expression on her face in the second picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

emskilicious

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  Anya is very cute!   Are her eyes really so bright green as they look in this first photo?  Wow!
   I do like black and white cats.   Cats with this pattern are sometimes nicknamed  "tuxedo cats"  because they look like they are wearing a formal black dinner jacket and white shirt. 

The vast majority of cats in the world aren't classified as "breeds".    Most cats have just bred randomly on their own  and their ancestry is a mix from the general cat population in their part of the world.   sometimes cats in a certain place are recognized as a "natural breed"    but mostly  the breeds  are the result of  selective breeding by humans. And the  random-bred cats are usually referred to as "Domestic Shorthairs"  or "Domestic Longhairs"    ,  or fondly called  "moggies" . 

So she would be a Black and White DSH.    

But  there are some differences,  often subtle,  between cats in different parts of the world.     Somehow just starting from the first picture,  I was wondering if Anya may be from Asia  or maybe the Mediterranean area ?  
There is a big variety in  random-bred cats and I could be wrong.   There are moggies in America and Northern Europe  who do have a similar look    ( maybe in some cases because they have some ancestry from cats from elsewhere).  But to me she doesn't really like a typical Western cat. 
~yeah her eyes are of bright yellowish-green especially if she's excited... That's what i noticed the first time i saw her when she was still 4mos old.. She was owned by my neighbor and unfortunately they don't have the resources to take care of her that's why my neighbor decided to have her adopted. I was drawn to her instantly the first time i saw her. Those piercing eyes had me right from the start   Callista ,   I agree,  that's why I am asking where Anya is from.  If she is from somewhere like North America or Northern Europe,  then I'd say maybe there's some Siamese or Oriental a few generations ago..  

Or she may be from Asia herself. 

It gets complicated since there are  people from all over the world asking "What breed is my cat"  ( or "What breed does my cat resemble?" )  questions on here  and often don't mention their location.   With cats most of them aren't the result of selective breeding... but there ARE some subtle differences in cats from different places. 
[/quote]

~we're from Asia.. Most specifically, the Philippines... :)

----------------------

~Additional pics of my baby.

~and this is her friend Sophie, one of our domestic cats... hmmmm with a coat of "Cap and Saddle"?

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ emskilicous    

WOW   Those EYES!    GREAT photos! 

And another Wow!  Sophie is gorgeous too!    What a beautiful head and body type... and her eyes look  very bright yellow-green too .    and yes that's  a cap & saddle pattern.

Anya looks pretty young so she may grow into the ears a bit.  

See,  these don't really look just like most of OUR domestic cats that are mostly from Western European ancestry.     They do look like the more "oriental" end of the spectrum  of type in native Southeast Asian cats,  which do come in a range of type but it includes many cats like this.  

Which makes sense considering where you are!  

Look at this link....   http://www.siamesekittens.info/thailand.html       especially that first photo of the group of cats in Bangkok  . look at the shape of some of those heads.   

So if you were asking this and  you were in the UK and had found these cats,  I would be suspecting they had some ancestry from cats from Southeast Asia who had been brought over to the UK ( specifically Siamese since it was the pointed pattern cats  that were mostly brought to the UK...  but were later bred with cats of other colors & patterns to create the Oriental breed.  ).      but since you're already in that part of the world,   there's no reason to think they have Siamese ancestry.  just of other cats of a similar type.  

I don't know a lot about cats in the Phillippines.   so I don't know what is "normal" looking there in the random-bred domestic cats.    and i don't know if the Spanish might have brought over quite a few cats from home , who then mixed with whatever cats were there who came from closer places?    

But these look  like pretty pure members of the  Southeast Asian race of cats.      

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brown classic tabby domestic shorthair. No particular breed, but wow, that pattern is gorgeous.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh, she looks like she's still a bit confused about what the big human wants with her, but that tail says she's definitely giving you a chance! Once she discovers the wonders of treats, toys, and food dishes, she will likely adopt you as hers. :)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with Callista,   she's probably not officially a particular breed , but sort of like an American Shorthair  which is the pedigreed version of the shorthaired " working cats"  in the U.S. 

I'm thinking she might even be a Black Silver Classic Tabby,  but with " tarnishing"  since she's  a random-bred cat. 

Very pretty cat!  
anyone know what breed she may be?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Jelephantino.  Domestic, color and pattern Brown tabby and white,  I think she is mackerel tabby, not easy to see from here.

Sweet girl!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.