What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He won't be friendly right away. He needs to have his own space until he adjusts to all the change. lt's best to keep them separated until they get used to the smell of each other being in the house.

Here's a useful article to help you:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/bringing-home-a-new-cat

He's a beautiful cat, congratulations on adopting him.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Zimah, what is the color of his eyes?

The fur IS long for a Russian Blue, especielly the bushy tail (he is perhaps afraid a little?)  yet my oldest resident has almost as long fur, and he is a champion. He would surely be a Grand Champion too with time although his somewhat long fur. But both he and we got enough of Shows.

Zimahs cat slightly photoshopped.    Still a quite so russian blue look alike.  :)

Are you sure your friend did said Norwegian?  COULD he said or meant Russian Blue?

Does he had any papers on him?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The fur IS long for a Russian Blue, especielly the bushy tail (he is perhaps afraid a little?)  yet my oldest resident has almost as long fur, and he is a champion. He would surely be a Grand Champion too with time although his somewhat long fur. But both he and we got enough of Shows.

Zimahs cat slightly photoshopped.    Still a quite so russian blue look alike.  :)

Are you sure your friend did said Norwegian?  COULD he said or meant Russian Blue?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maew, yes these links are to my old homepage with my two residents, father and son.  Yes, it was the father I was talking about. He does have a fur longer than average for russian blue, esp on belly and the behind, yet some judges (and breeders) though him exemplary, especielly his head.  Now they are 10 years older.    :)

zimah rohaizad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

[URL=http://www.thecatsite.com/content/type/61/id/176563/]

[/URL]
om/content/type/61/id/176563/]

[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:

zimah rohaizad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He Had green eyes He gota Green eyes,btw i don receive any letter frm my fren he got alot of breed cat they said hes norwegien im paying tis kitty $500 dollar singapore dollar..so wen i llok him growing im wondering y he wont look like norwegien.. :( i jus wanna noe what breed actually he is? Becos if hes not a breed cat im get scolded by my husband..we trust our frenz tat my kitty is a breed cat not a stray cat u see.. my kitty is so intelligent,hes royal to his family surround him he listen fr wat we r saying.. but he quite fussy on food,he like to cuddle,always ask to cuddle him gve us a very dip kisses..hes so lovely cat..i ever had...

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your friend charged you $500 (I guess in US dollars that's about $375?), then they should have given you the cat's paperwork. That's less than you would pay for a purebred kitten, but it's more than you would normally pay for a mixed-breed adoption fee.

You may have a pet-quality cat here. Occasionally, breeders will come up with a kitten that really, really doesn't match the breed standard, but still has breed ancestry. These kittens are neutered and adopted out as pets. They are not good for show or breeding, but they are still perfectly good cats. They may have the personality of their breed even if they do not have the looks.

If your friend is honest about their belief that this is a Norwegian forest cat, it might be that at some point someone adopted a purebred NFC kitten, which bred with an alley cat, and your cat is the result, with NFC blood but not much of the looks of the cat. I do think that Stefan is right about it being more likely to be a Russian blue mix than a Norwegian forest cat. I wonder if maybe somewhere along the line someone mixed up the paperwork?

Do go back to your friend and ask if the cat has a pedigree. That should tell you for sure. Some purebred cats don't have papers, especially in countries other than the US and western European countries (where we have major cat fancy associations). If he has papers, that'll answer your questions; unfortunately without papers you can't really know either way, especially if purebred cats in your area are routinely sold as pets without papers.

He sounds like a really wonderful cat. Whether he's purebred or not, he isn't show-quality, so you really don't have to worry about whether he is purebred; you're not going to be taking him to cat shows either way. He needs the same things all cats need--healthy food, a safe, warm home, attention, interesting things to do. If your husband gets annoyed at anyone, it shouldn't be you; he should be annoyed with your friend, who didn't give you the full story on this cat.

I own two cats, neither one has a breed, and they are both wonderful, wonderful cats. It's nice to have a predictable look in a breed of cat, but there is nothing wrong with alley cats. Most pet cats are alley cats, and they are just as good at catching vermin and warming your lap as a purebred cat would be.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Penelope.  Your cat has the colors  tortoise-shell and white.  Some call these color set up  for Calico.

Is it the tabby M Im seeing on her forehead? Does she has any tabby stripes elsewhere?  If she is tabby too; tabby and tortoiseshell are often called for torbie - here it will thus be torbie and white.

There may also be other names, for example in some associations white parts may be called for patches, so Patched Torbie is the same thing...

Long or shorthair? If you dont see it clearly, the tail is revealing.  If bushy tail, count the cat as longhair.

Breed we cant know, and breed cats are rare. She is almost surely what 97% of cats are; a domestic, one of the normal random cat population.   Although she does have some vague look alike of a Norwegian Forest cat.  

Yes, she does.    :)

Pretty baby!

Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He sounds like a really wonderful cat. Whether he's purebred or not, he isn't show-quality, so you really don't have to worry about whether he is purebred; you're not going to be taking him to cat shows either way.
Zimah.  Most shows do have also a class for Domestic´s, ie not pedigree cats, or cats with unclear pedigree.

It often called Household Cat class, or Pet class, or similiar.

So you CAN participate at shows if you want, in this class.

Withough correct papers, you cant anyway participate in the usual classes for purebred cats.

In the Household class there is no breed description to compete with.  What they look is the behavior of the cat, if it is friendly, if it enjoys the show and being handled, how well cared for it seems...

If you want to try this world, you can do it, participate and compete, purebred or not.

Again a excellent post by Callista.

Good luck!

4kittymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would like ur help on figuring out the.breed of my kitty but since my internet is dpne from my phone can someone let me know how to post a pic. thank you.

4kittymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is my female kitten I had gotten from an abandoned litter of 6. I got her last Sunday August 25,2013 and from doing reseached I figured out she was 4 weeks old. So now shell be 6 weeks this coming Sunday. When I first got her I was bottle feeding her and had to stimulate for bathroom times. She is now using the littee on her own and started doing that before 5 weeks of age. I had to do some stimulating but not many times. Now I don't have to at all..yay. She eats dry kitten food now and mixed with some wet food. I have given raw meet as well chopped very small so she has no problems. She's doing wondedul amd gets along perfect with my 3 male adults(fixed) kitties. She gets along also great with my hubby and my 2 daughters(15+6). I ve done lots of research and it seems that she may possibly be Maine Coon. But I'm not 100% possitive about that. She has A LOT of a Maine Coons feactures,temperment, and a lot of little things as well. She has long hair, very bushy all over and a deffinate bundle of joy. She loves to play all the time and love to follow and tries to help out with everything everybody is doing. She doesn't meow much other then around feeding time and other then that she does a talking or squeaking thing. Sooo cute. I can ask her questions and you qould swear she's answering you. So adorable. So anyone have an opinion on what her breed may be? Thank you

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
4KittyMama.   Tx for telling us this wonderful story from real life! And tx for helping this little one! Sometimes as here, you get  the reward for your good deeds already in this life.   :)

Its not easy to decide which  breed look alike on small kittens.  But I agree with you, so far I can see, she is somewhat look alike a Maine Coon...   If so, she is surely from the broad natural population from which  Maine Coons were purebred from.

We have a couple of recent thread where they give many good comments. (Maine Coon is in the title)

edit.  for example this one:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263788/is-my-kittycat-maine-coon

Good luck!

Last edited:

throwawaycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my cat, Mari, from her previous owner after he passed away, and don't know anything about her history. Can anyone guess if she has any qualities of any particular breeds? She's quite large, about 14-15 lbs, and very "elegant" in disposition. 

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mari seems to be a domestic, like most cats are.  Althogh possibly a mix after Norwegian Forest Cat, who are/may be rather big cats, visibly bigger than average. Almost comparable with Maine Coon in size.  Her muzzle isnt no typical Norwegian, but I can imagine a Norwegian mix could have such a one.   Also, they are not so seldom bicolor.

Her dark color is grey, yes?  It would be called blue in the cat fanciers language.

Her color and pattern is thus Blue and white bicolor  (=two colors).

Nice you found each other!    :)

Good luck!

miri4191

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. I just adopted a two month old female from a local shelter. She was listed as a domestic short hair and Maine Coon Mix. I definitely see the tabby in her.

What do you guys think? Do you see any Maine Coon in my little Livi? I will say she has some pretty big kitten paws and tufts in her ears. In the end it doesn't really matter. she's a sweetie pie no matter what she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.