What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Oh my goodness,  she is CUTE!   That is a really dramatic looking van pattern she has there,  with the color so symmetrical on her head..  

kerrylynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is my kitten pixie,I know she's not a full breed but she has the most beautiful unusual markings and I just wondered if you can tell what type of mix she is,thanks kerry

epictigre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I just wanted to know what type of breed my cat was here is a picture of him :D
I grew up with him and he's 12 years old and living a happy life. I'm not really sure but I think he might be a mix. This is my first time on this website so I hope the picture shows

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This, my friend, is a cute  black and white cat! Leaving out the cuteness is a travesty!
My apologies!!! 

A very adorable, cute and very lovely looking black and white cat ;) (Also has an amazing pattern, what a tail!)

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Yes this does help better .    He is a really very handsome Brown Classic Tabby .  Lovely pattern on this boy.  

Cats aren't like dogs that are usually a breed or mix of breeds selectively bred by humans.  There has been much less selective breeding of cats..   The vast majority of cats have just bred randomly on their own and have few or no pedigreed ancestors,  and it can be impossible to tell in most cases if they do.     This big majority of cats are known as Domestic Shorthair or Domestic Longhair.  

So that is what he would be. 

but he looks generally like a similar type to American Shorthair  or a less massive version of British Shorthair.  Both of those are pedigreed breeds that originally came from the regular ' domestic shorthair'  population in their countries. 

His pattern,  classic tabby,  is from a recessive gene,  it has to be inherited from both parents and is less common than mackerel tabby ( the striped pattern)   The classic tabby pattern is  probably from Northern Europe and may have originated in the British Isles 

What's his name?   

I hope he has many more happy years with you! 
Sorry I thought this one might help a bit better since the other one was kind of blurry. Thanks!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does look like a very striking Red Tabby pattern.   If you could post a photo that shows her side,  we could at least say which category of tabby pattern it is.  

Looks like she has very nice rich color. 

She is a beautiful kitten. 

It looks to me like she is a shorthair.  but a pretty thick coat.   and it can be hard to tell coat length in kittens.   I can't see her tail in this photo which is usually a good clue.... Longhairs usually have a poofy/  plumed tail.  

Right now she has some strikingly big ears but she's a kitten,  so she may " grow into the ears" .  

She is  a little reminiscent of some Maine Coon kittens.  I'm not saying she necessarily is part that breed.  

Re breeds and mixes,  that is hard.  For one thing cats are not like dogs that usually are a breed  or a mix of different breeds. The pedigreed cats are only about 3% of pet cats.  Most cats have just bred randomly on their own and they have a mix of ancestry from the general cat population in their part of the world,  with few or no pedigree ancestors  and it is usually impossible to know for sure.   After all , the breeds came from the random-bred cats.   Those cats are known as " Domestic Shorthair"  or " Domestic Longhair"  which just means no particular breed / unknown ancestry.    They come in a great variety of colors and patterns and can be just gorgeous cats, like Pixie here. 
this is my kitten pixie,I know she's not a full breed but she has the most beautiful unusual markings and I just wondered if you can tell what type of mix she is,thanks kerry

epictigre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! His name is Tiger. I know that's not really creative but I wasn't the one who named him. I hope he does too :)

kerrylynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That does look like a very striking Red Tabby pattern.   If you could post a photo that shows her side,  we could at least say which category of tabby pattern it is.  
Looks like she has very nice rich color. 
 She is a beautiful kitten. 
It looks to me like she is a shorthair.  but a pretty thick coat.   and it can be hard to tell coat length in kittens.   I can't see her tail in this photo which is usually a good clue.... Longhairs usually have a poofy/  plumed tail.  

Right now she has some strikingly big ears but she's a kitten,  so she may " grow into the ears" .  
She is  a little reminiscent of some Maine Coon kittens.  I'm not saying she necessarily is part that breed.  

Re breeds and mixes,  that is hard.  For one thing cats are not like dogs that usually are a breed  or a mix of different breeds. The pedigreed cats are only about 3% of pet cats.  Most cats have just bred randomly on their own and they have a mix of ancestry from the general cat population in their part of the world,  with few or no pedigree ancestors  and it is usually impossible to know for sure.   After all , the breeds came from the random-bred cats.   Those cats are known as " Domestic Shorthair"  or " Domestic Longhair"  which just means no particular breed / unknown ancestry.    They come in a great variety of colors and patterns and can be just gorgeous cats, like Pixie here. 

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jezebel, because there are no papers, officially they are Domestic Long Hair.
To me they are either Ragdolls or Ragdoll mixes.
Beautiful kitties!! :heart3:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I would guess same as Carolina,     they may be Ragdoll mixes or just happen to be Raggie look-alikes.    or if adopted as adults from a shelter it is even possible they could be Ragdolls.      though without knowing for sure they would be classified as " Domestic Longhair"  

They are way too fluffy to look like Snowshoes!   .  and they do look like they're probabl larger than the average Birman. 

Their color / pattern is  for the male,  Seal Lynx Mitted    and for the female  Seal Torbie Mitted 

jezebel1490

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What beautiful pointed cats! If they do not have papers they would be described as pointed longhaired cats, I think lynx point. To me because of their size they look like either Ragdolls or Snowshoes. Mitted feet are also a trait of the Birman breed, but they look a little large to be Birmans. I love pointed cats, where did you find them?
Thank you very much.  I adopted these two from a local rescue organization (Vancouver Orphan Kitten Rescue Association) and I had a strong suspicion that they were close to Ragdolls as they are big in size (they're only 15 months), have the white booties and blue eyes and have super soft fur like a rabbit.  Of course I know that they're not by any means purebred but I was curious what you guys thought could be a close breed.  Thanks again.  I will add a couple more in a later post for your viewing pleasure 

Status
Not open for further replies.