What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozaker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. That was very informative. 

We were just looking up cats online to see which one breed it looks most like and it actually looks alot like the British longhair cat. I know its not, but it looks alot like it. Just thought it was funny. 

I wish cats could talks. lol.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Mozaker,       If a mix of 2 breeds,  maybe Persian x British Shorthair.    

Very pretty cat!     color looks like Blue Silver Classic Tabby 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 @ MOzaker ,  Of course ,  Franksmom has a good point that it's hard to know for sure in a mix,  and without proof of ancestry they're just classified as Domestic Longhair.

but I think it is very likely the cat does have some ancestry of a specific breed or breeds    and since we're just saying what they look like ,   I thought , OK,  if he IS a cross between 2 different pedigree breeds,  I can definitely imagine the cross being Persian x British Shorthair.  That would make sense  for him to look like a British Longhair .  because I think they got the longhair gene in the British Shorthair due to crosses with Persians (maybe  trying to make the head rounder or something?     someone else may know more about that. )  But in any case  there are some British Shorthairs who carry the longhair gene,  and   when those cats have been bred together,  there have been some longhair kittens born.     These longhair "variants" are not recognized for championship competition by every registry but  are  recognized  by some, such as The International Cat Association. 

klaireabella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Here are 4 pictures of Bella, starting with the most recent. She's about 14 weeks old now, and she seems to be growing very strangely, long back legs, long slender body, huge ears!

I know no one can say for sure, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what breeds of cat could be in her?
I'm not looking for a special breed, she's perfect no matter what! I'm just interested :)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
re Bella,  who is an adorable little brown tabby kitty,   I would say it's too soon to tell.    Kittens who are most likely purely  from random-bred domestic shorthair backgrounds can go through these odd shape morphing growth phases where they get long legs and big ears ....  so that starts people  thinking they are part Oriental  or Savannah or something.     but then they end up growing into the ears ,  and the body catches up with the legs,  and they look more "normal" .  

The pattern is nothing that is not seen in domestic shorthairs of no particular breed.   For ex spots on the tummy is common in all sorts of tabbies,  especially as kittens.  I can't totally see which tabby pattern she is for sure without seeing a side view of her stretched out.   It looks like she might be Brown Classic Tabby.  

She does look kind of Savannah-ish  in the top two photos.   I am not saying I think she is a Savannah.  A Savannah kitten would cost like  $900 and up.  

But in some places they have become pretty popular so not exactly a rare breed anymore .  and not all breeders and owners are very responsible.  so  there are no doubt a few mixes out there.   but I sure would not want to jump to that conclusion yet.

( Actually all cat breeds are pretty rare if compared with popular dog breeds.  The vast majority of cats are not s specific breed.   There has been much less selective breeding of cats ,  and they mostly have just bred randomly on their own over the centuries.    Most cats are like dogs were thousands of years ago before people started breeding them for differnet kinds of work and from that,  the dog breeds developed. ) 

I would love to see her pattern from the side view though.  and  hope you wll keep sharing more photos as Bella grows up .    Whatever her ancestry,  she is VERY pretty! 

teelaandsasha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this is my Cat Teela.Shes a lovely girl. got her and her brother Sasha from a farm where they were kept indoors with their mother. Mother or Father was ginger and white cat but i do not know the breed.

Teela is a Calico cat and you can clearly see the ginger and white through her.

Any thoughts on what breed or type of cat she might be?

Thank you guys!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What wonderfull rich colors Teela has!   A real golden nuance!

The pattern is called for Torbie and white, Torbie = Tortoise-shell combined with tabby.

You can probably also say a beautiful torbie tuxedo. This is perhaps not scientifically, but gives a very accurate description of the pattern.   :)

The breed is Domestic short hair, "moggie" as they often say.  Its no more than about 3% of cats who do belong to any particular breed, unlike dogs.

Good luck!

ps.  I said Tuxedo as an everyday expression. Better is to say Calico, whick is "the same overall pattern", but used explicitely for Tortoiseshell/Torbies.  Thus, a Tortoiseshell/Torbie  and white, does not have a jacket on her, but she is called for a Calico.   It if is fair can be discussed, but so it is.   :)

Tx Maew for educating!   :)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re the issue being discussed of breeding ethics:  in  many countries there really is not the same sort of organized pedigreed cat fancy as exists elsewhere.  so people breed Persians etc   or traditional native breeds of that region  without official registration papers from a cat registry .  To me that somehow does  not seem so bad as doing that in Europe, North America, Australia, etc. where there are more options to breed in a way that's considered more responsible .   
Maew, Akmardahlia:  I agree with that. Where there are no real breeders or very scarce, we must accept amateur breeders do much of the same role, filling up the nische. As long as they are responsible for their cats and kittens. Which Akmardahlia seems to be.    :)

"Where there is no fishes, there is a crab a fish" as the proverb says.

Good luck Akmardahlia with the delivery.  You can start a thread about the delivery in our Pregnant and Kitten care subforum, if you wish.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your responses. I appreciate it. She is now contracting as we speak and pushing. She in labor. Thank you again.
Oh, yay! That's great! When the chaos dies down a little and the kittens are comfy, we would love to see kitten pictures!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Re TEELA -  

I  agree with Stefan that  Teela  has such a wonderful rich color.   She is really a beauty!  

Stefan has given you the answer that her pattern is Torbie and White   --   Torbie being the combination of Tortoiseshell coloring ( patches of red-based color and black-based color)   plus a Tabby pattern .

More specifically  I'd say she looks like Brown Classic Torbie and White.    ( That's what she would be called in the show catalog if you showed her as a Household Pet in TICA.    CFA uses a different terminology ,  they would call her a Brown Classic Patched Tabby and White.)   

To put it in a simplified way,  she got Red ( ginger) from one parent and Black from the other,   got the Tabby from at least one of them,  and got the White Spotting gene from at least one of them -- like that ginger & white parent you mentioned.   

Although she isn't really the more "official" definition of Calico  in CFA, (which would be without the tabby markings in the black-based color.  and would have more white) ,   many people especially in North America do call any cat with red, black and white a calico. 

Then there are some other slang terms  for a calico with a tabby pattern,  like "caliby" or "tabico".    Those are just colloquialisms,  not official terms in any cat registry,   but you can call her whatever you want!   

Breed  --   Cats are not usually considered a specific breed or mix of breeds like most dogs.  There has been much less selective breeding of cats.   The vast majority have just bred randomly on their own, and have a mix of ancestry from the general cat population in their part of the world.     They're  usually called Domestic Shorthairs or Domestic Longhairs.  or affectionately called 'moggies' .   They come in a great variety of colors and patterns. 

Teela is a Domestic Shorthair and she sure is an example of how wonderful the random-bred cats can look. 

If you're from the USA,   the closest breed comparison would be American Shorthair,  which is like the pedigree version of Domestic Shorthair,  and is  a breed to preserve the old look of the shorthair farm cats from America as they were centuries ago.  

Here is a pedigreed American Shorthair  with a similar pattern   ( with her buddy)  http://www.lynzkatz.com/juciandpatches.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
what type of cat is this?
Saphire.  The pattern is probably a Van pattern, after the Turkish Van cats.  Type is Shorthair...  The photo is not very clear.  A serie of photos is safer.

I was going to write  Domestic Shorthair which normally is a very safe guess, as 97% of cats are so, and almost 100% if found at your typical shelter.  But it dawned on me she is not in a shelter cage, she may be in a Show Cage (or is it just a big carrier?).  Where they DO have a class for domestic pets, but most of the cats there are pedigreed....  Thus, we  may be among our 3 procent...

I dont dare to guess.     :)

What I do dare to say, is the cat is very pretty, and also, well worth showing, it be either at the Domestic Pet class, or in the Open for pedigrees, depending. 

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a black and white one :) 
This, my friend, is a cute black and white cat! Leaving out the cuteness is a travesty!

Is this a shelter kitty you adopted? She is in a carrier in the photo, so I'm curious.

Last edited:

saphire06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No my cat abounded her when she was two weeks old so I decided to take her in this is a photo of when we are going to the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.