What breed is he?

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm DEFINATELY seeing mastiff in the face, but not at all in the body. The mouth looks too "droopy" to have pit/am staff(they don't have droopy mouths and don't really drool alot). I though maybe boxer, but the head is too bed. I'm sticking with mastiff mix.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I don't see any lab or pit in him.
As for the legs, he could very well be an American Bulldog/Redbone cross.
ahh yes bulldog ... that even covers the mastiff head ....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes, he has the drooly Boxer mouth.
He's washed my carpet thoroughly with spit!

We're thinking that he's probably like a purebred Heinz 57. There are SO many breeds that he could possibly be, it's insane.

We thought about dane or mastiff as a breed guess, but he's only 71 lbs. The last two dane or mastiff xs we have through were 100+ lbs. Whatever he'd be mixed with would have to be making him little.

Although, since the dane x a week ago, there's been 3 dogs up for adoption I want to list as dane mixes so they get adopted!
They're wonderful dogs, but "boring" breeds.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Oh yes, he has the drooly Boxer mouth.
He's washed my carpet thoroughly with spit!

We're thinking that he's probably like a purebred Heinz 57. There are SO many breeds that he could possibly be, it's insane.

We thought about dane or mastiff as a breed guess, but he's only 71 lbs. The last two dane or mastiff xs we have through were 100+ lbs. Whatever he'd be mixed with would have to be making him little.

Although, since the dane x a week ago, there's been 3 dogs up for adoption I want to list as dane mixes so they get adopted!
They're wonderful dogs, but "boring" breeds.
I happen to love the heinz 57 breed

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he? If he is 2 or younger, the "skinny" could be Boxer- adolecent boxers are a hillarious site most often, and they also go through a gangly stage, where it seems like nothing will fatten them up
. The ears look Boxer to me, the lips look Boxerish, the top view of the waist/ribs looks like young boxer. The nose looks lab, the bones in his face and the color looks Mastiff. The tail reminds me of a lab. The well muscled part could be Boxer too, as Mattie looked like a "tough broad" (lol) even after being at the humane society for 3 months. The legs and feet don't look Boxer to me though, but it might just be the angle

This part really makes me think boxer, though-
My dad swears he's an elephant crossed with a Mac truck

I'd guess some sort of Boxer/Lab mix too, I guess!

A few pics of Mattie from 2006, fresh from the humane society (one year old):
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/boxart/200702-04feb1455.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/boxart/200702-04feb1416.jpg

Mattie later, with a little more weight on her (last summer/fall, I believe):
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/boxart/mattieyardresizedforsig.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/boxart/resizedmatyardpicmar1807034.jpg

One year old Mastif pic:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j213/boxart/mattieandatticus.jpg

I don't know if this helps or not
, but thought I would put them up just in case. I don't have any lab pics in photobucket
. Mattie is smaller boned than your typical Boxer (very leggy, looks like a deer running around the yard, lol) and longer in the body (among other "incorrect" things, lol), but, for reference pics (the skinny ones, especially), I thought it might help...(?)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A couple more pics of him. His tail is weird....I love it. My purebred Labs tail hangs like his, it's funny. Max's tail, though...starts weird in comparison to his hip bones & joints.

In every pic I swear he ends up looking Staffy. Maybe he is....but it only seems to be his head? I dunno, I'm not willing to label him as an Am Staff if I don't know for sure he is....because it will cost him homes.

Those are his booger prints all over the window.

Couple more pics, him chilling at the shelter

He is always laying at my feet like this

"Didja say I'm a stuf muffin?!?!"

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, the butt-
- look at the last pic I posted of the mastiff -clickable thumbnails-(sorry!)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know....the bum is Mastiff! Gotta do some googling here....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still seeing something bully in the face -staffs and pits are smaller breeds though so more likely american bulldog. If you really do think he's a staff mix you could always label him a terrier mix.
(on a somewhat related note.. has anyone else noticed that boston terrier mixes sometimes turn out looking bully?)

catsallover - As for there color, light and dark buck skin is common in a lot more breeds then just mastiffs.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I know
. I was just comparing among the 3 breeds I was talking about, sorry for not being more specific
. Though, he looks more red in the newer pics...

Hee hee, the "booger marks"! I found where my dh had parked in the Walmart parking lot one day (he dropped me off to run in, and I forgot my cell phone to call him when I came out *duh*) by the "Mattie marks" all over the passenger side window

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More pictures of Maximus the Great!
He's a doll.

When he goes to sleep, he just kind flops down. Back legs flipped out behind him, front paws stuck off to one side, head off to the other side. He's like a colt, he just splays out!!

Max, Macey, & Coco (Left to Right)

Max wants me to throw the ball

Those gangly legs got the best of him again

Can't....quite....reach....

See? My head isn't that big!

Mr. Dainty Paws!

Mmmmm....eat the ball

His head really isn't that big....it just always seems to look so in his pictures!