What Breed does Iso-Dora resemble?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

innocenti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A calico-colored cat is a white-based cat that has large splotches of black and large splotches of orange that don't intermingle. Black, orange, and white are all (for the most part) separate.

A tortoiseshell-colored cat has black and orange mixed in together, in a brindle-type pattern. The majority have a 'split' nose....black on one side and orange on the other. They can also have white on them....but that makes them torti and white, not calico.

I agree with Gibbly! Im sticking with Calico. If only I knew what types of cat breeds she resembles (look-alike) haha. Domestic is just another term for - No idea what breed/mixed breeds a kitten/cat is.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im sticking with Calico. It's on her certificate :)

A calico-colored cat is a white-based cat that has large splotches of black and large splotches of orange that don't intermingle. Black, orange, and white are all (for the most part) separate.

A tortoiseshell-colored cat has black and orange mixed in together, in a brindle-type pattern. The majority have a 'split' nose....black on one side and orange on the other. They can also have white on them....but that makes them torti and white, not calico.

Those descriptions only apply to the US, the rest of the world uses tortie and white.
ever heard of something called "an example" the genetic components may be red, but torties don't turn out "red" the red is muddied to look brown.
Ever heard of this is the breeders section where correct terms and genetics matter, not pet owners incorrect slang.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

innocenti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Calico/Tortie and White - still means the same thing? Cheers for the advice.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
same thing, different terms depending on where you live, even though you are in Australia, if you want to call her a calico, call her a calico, I have a couple friends in both England and Australia who have "tortie and white" cats that they call calico because ever since I told them that's what they are here, they think it sounds pretty.

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Calico" also means a sort of cotton fabric, usually printed with a floral pattern. I think somebody way back when thought that a tortie-and-white cat looked like the fabric.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"Calico" also means a sort of cotton fabric, usually printed with a floral pattern. I think somebody way back when thought that a tortie-and-white cat looked like the fabric.
actually, you're right, way back when when there were mostly tabbies or black cats, a calico cat was a big thing, and so was the "calico" fabric, supposedly it was hard to come by, so the rare colored cats were named for the rare hard to come by fabric, atleast that's as I understand it.

klsylvester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in the US and I've seen shelters and vets here use both terms, Calico and Tortie. 

klsylvester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tortoiseshell  describes a coat coloring  found almost exclusively in female cats. Cats of this color are mottled, with patches of orange or cream and chocolate, black or blue.

Calico cats  are domestic cats  with a spotted or parti-colored coat that is predominantly white, with patches of two other colors (often the two other colors are orange tabby  and black).

And that's what I know of the two, and have seen both used in the states.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What certificate is this you are refering to?  Is it possible to scan it and let us see it?

BTW in the UK we talk about tortie & white.  The amount of white varies, but with it the tortie bits tend to become larger patches of colour.

klsylvester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's crazy that they call cats different from place to place! No wonder there is so much confusion! 

BTW I was just stating what they refer to Tortie's and Calico's in the states. I wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes. 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I've just removed a few posts from this thread to be reviewed by the mods team. Please note -

1. We are an international community and our rules state intolerance, bigotry, and religious ridicule will not be tolerated.

2. If you find a post offensive, use the report button to bring it to the intimidate attention of the mods and do not react to it yourself in public.

Thank you for your cooperation!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will I be punished somehow if I tell that the cat indeed is called a tortie with white here outside of US (I'm in Finland)? We don't have the term 'calico' at all. I've gotten into trouble before for telling the truth here..

Tortie = a cat with black/blue/chocolate/lilac/cinnamon/fawn and red/cream, if it also has white, you add the 'with white' into it. Simple.

And for some one talking about a 'brindle look', torties are bred to try and have the colors as separate 'clearish' patches, the more red it has the better it is for showing, not sure if it applies to all breeds, but as far as I know it does. (Here's my favorite catshow photographer's gallery for torties, just regular black&red/white, but anyway: http://catza.net/en/browse/feat/f/  If you wanna see other color torties, switch the last letter f from the link to one of these: g, h, j, q, r, and if you want any of them with silver, add letter s too, like 'fs').

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will I be punished somehow if I tell that the cat indeed is called a tortie with white here outside of US (I'm in Finland)? We don't have the term 'calico' at all. I've gotten into trouble before for telling the truth here..
Best just go with Calico, agree with the pet owners not those in the fancy ;)
Doesn't matter Calico doesn't exist in the OP's country

justsanker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The word 'Calico' originates from 'Calcutta', a city in India known for its beautiful, multicolored fabrics. When the term puddle-jumped it was anglicised to 'Calico'.

I would say that in the USA a 'tortoiseshell' refers to a coat that is considerably is more mottled, closely resembling the brindle coats in canines, though obviously not related!

'Calico' conjures an image of a tortie with a slightly more mosaic look, almost harlequin, with larger more distinct blocks of reds vs. blacks.

If it is a cream/blue tortie with large blocks of color, in the US we call it a 'Diluted Calico.' If the same cat had a white chest/paws/face one only needs to add "with white" to it.

Before I get my butt chewed here, I understand that there is no genetic difference between a tortie and a calico. I know that a calico is a tortoiseshell. I am only trying to offer a melodramatic language barrier explanation.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
not to hijack

but does anybody have a picture of a lilac / fawn tortie, because I don't think I've ever seen one

I'm not a breeder and I'm from the US

Here torties and calicos are two different patterns

But I understand that is not the case elsewhere!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not to hijack

but does anybody have a picture of a lilac / fawn tortie, because I don't think I've ever seen one

I'm not a breeder and I'm from the US

Here torties and calicos are two different patterns

But I understand that is not the case elsewhere!
So far as I can tell what the US calls a calico is a tortie with white elsewhere - the white causes the coat to develop bigger splashes of colour than in a tortie without white, where they are more finely mingled.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ooh, very cool looking. OK so if blue is dilute of black, and cream is dilute of red, are lilacs and fawns dilutes too? Dilutes of blue and cream? what is silver then? Sorry if these are stupid questions

Last edited: