What Breed does Iso-Dora resemble?

innocenti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Iso-Dora - love at first sight. She is 11 weeks old. I adopted her last week but she was only labelled as a "Domestic Medium Hair/Calico (White, Black and Red Colour Fur)" - which tells me nothing about the breed of cat she is.

I have noticed a few physical and personility traits, which has me questioning - Is Iso-Dora Maine Coon or atleast has some Maine Coon in her?

Physical Traits: She has faint ear tufts. Ears and Head form a M Shape. She has huge paws with faint tufts. Extremely long whiskers. She has a Fuzzy coat. Her tail is long and thick.

Personality Traits: Very affectionate. Always wanting to be held/cuddled into. Likes her stomach rubbed (like a dog would). Doesn't Meow like normal cats, instead she tries to talk to me (Churping like sounds). She is curious about everything - she's very alert. Fascinated with water.

More photos are on my profile page.

Any help, would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unless you got her through a breeder, she is a black/white domestic medium hair kitty. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

innocenti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for the reply. Gorgeous cat you have there. She is a Calico (Black,White and Red). Eyes are Golden/Yellow.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A beautiful cat, but Domestic medium/Longhair is exactly what she is. The vast majority of cats are no particular 'breed' - breeds have been developed out of the naturally evolved cat population in different parts of the world. So most cats show some traits or appearance that also appear in 'pure breeds'. This is the opposite to what has happened with dogs, where even the commonest 'mutt' can be traced back to a mix of breeds.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi & welcome to TCS!  Izzy is beautiful!! Stephanie is right, unless she came from a breeder, she is just a domestic. However, you never know, she may have some in her down the line somewhere. She does look like a big girl for her age, along w/ the traits you listed.

Either way, She's Beautiful!!!

innocenti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Long Whiskers                              Has a Maine                          Her fur is Fuzzy

Iso-Dora - She was love at first sight. She is 11 weeks old.

I adopted her last week but she was only labelled as a "Domestic Medium Hair/Calico and even though she is a beautiful kitten, it tells me nothing about the breed of cat she is/could be.

Over the past week, I and other people have noticed a few physical and personility traits, which has me questioning now - Is Iso-Dora Maine Coon or atleast has some Maine Coon in her?

Physical Traits: She has faint ear tufts. Ears and Head form a M Shape. She has huge paws with faint tufts. Extremely long whiskers. She has a Fuzzy coat. Her tail is long and thick (View pics below).

Personality Traits: Very affectionate. Always wanting to be held/cuddled into. Likes her stomach rubbed (like a dog would). Doesn't Meow like normal cats, instead she tries to talk to me (Chirping like sounds). She is curious about everything - she's very alert. Fascinated with water.

More photos are on my profile page.

Any help, would be much appreciated. Thanks  ------------> Extremely long Whiskers

------------> Head and ears form a M Shape.

------------> Golden/Yellow (Slight tint of Green) Eyes.

------------> Porportioned Body. Face is round/rectangle front on. Long on Side View.

------------> Five toes on front/Four toes on back.

------------> Loves her belly to be rubbed.

------------> Her fur is White, Black and Red (Orange).

------------> Huge Paws.

------------> She has faints tufts.

------------> And she's very lady-like haha.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No breed, she's a domestic long hair.

Most of the traits mentioned are simply those of a long haired cat, the ruff, whiskers and toe tufts etc

Last edited:

innocenti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm... Thanks for the reply missymotus. I wonder why her certificate states - Domestic Medium hair/Calico. Gorgeous cat you have :)

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That last photo there has some small patches of red visible. *squints* I think.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has little bits of red here and there. Enough to be a tortie, not a bi-color :).

Aww, she's adorable! I love longhair calicos. I agree she's a Domestic Longhair (or medium-hair, I s'pose :tongue2:), no particular breed. Purebred cats (and, by extension, purebred mixes) are pretty rare and most cats are moggies.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no such thing genetically as medium hair, cats are long or short hair

innocenti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Angels Mommy. She is a gorgeous girl and very BIG for her age. Gorgeous cats you have :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I thought "calico" was an American term. . .but, yes, she's what we would call a calico. Kind of odd patterning, but definitely 3 colors. I think in other countries they call it "tortoiseshell and white". Shelters and vets aren't always terrific about colors, breeds, fur length, etc. . .they just put down whatever they feel like :D. But she's a gorgeous girl and I'm sure you'll both be very happy together :rub:.

innocenti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the comments :)

Last edited:

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
calico is an american term, tortie and white everywhere else (heaven knows why seeing as torties and calicos look nothing alike, as torties tend to be brown and black, not red like calicos are) but genetically they are the same.

she is a pretty little calico.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
calico is an american term, tortie and white everywhere else (heaven knows why seeing as torties and calicos look nothing alike, as torties tend to be brown and black, not red like calicos are) but genetically they are the same.

Given the poster doesn't live in the US, the colour is not calico.

Also Torties aren't black and brown, they come in many colours. Black torties, blue torties, chocolate torties, lilac torties.....

And those with white are called "& white"

The genetic components of a black tortie are black and red. Not black and brown. Red and black come in various shadings.

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am well aware of that, thanks much ;)

ever heard of something called "an example" the genetic components may be red, but torties don't turn out "red" the red is muddied to look brown.

I'm not going to adjust what I call the color of the cat just because the OP doesn't live in the states when she well knows what I am talking about.