Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
BTW The CLAW Wound in the photo above MEASURES
2" Across, if I were to add the additional claw that missed the mark
it would measure
3" across

I had thought his paws were a bit large, Is that a normal claw span ?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
try and just keep him in period. he will be angry about it for a week or so but he'll calm down after awhile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
try and just keep him in period. he will be angry about it for a week or so but he'll calm down after awhile.
I would be cut to shreds, Just to much energy and sharp claws.
Still to young and full of spunk I guess. He is a force to be respected

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would be cut to shreds, Just to much energy and sharp claws.
Still to young and full of spunk I guess. He is a force to be respected

when you do get him to the vet ask them to trim his claws and have them show you how to do it. he probably won't let you do it at first but play with his toes when ever you can after that and get him used to the idea. all cats are different tho. one of our cats she's nine months old now is very very difficult to do. we have to have them do it at the vet. they make vet tech appts for it lol. its worth it. the other cats we have are all ok wtih the idea if done a couple at a time.

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
when you do get him to the vet ask them to trim his claws and have them show you how to do it. he probably won't let you do it at first but play with his toes when ever you can after that and get him used to the idea. all cats are different tho. one of our cats she's nine months old now is very very difficult to do. we have to have them do it at the vet. they make vet tech appts for it lol. its worth it. the other cats we have are all ok wtih the idea if done a couple at a time.
Great advice, thanks for bringing it up. a cousin advised that early on and i did not
think it appropriate for an indoor/outdoor. Now after sometime and experience :)
I feel a short clip to blunt them a bit is a GOOD IDEA, they are getting caught
in my shirt when he stretches and trys to cuddle.

I had not considered having the Vet do it but that would be best the very first time
and a great chance for me to see it done CORRECTLY before i attempt it

Oh the kitty door is working great I dont have to get up at 6:30am to let him in OR
every-time I hear rain drops

Eurocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there - your kitty is beautiful and thanks for taking him in😻
Personally I’d be a little reserved about trimming his claws as long as he is indoor/outdoor. Claws allow him to defend himself if needed and allow him more grip up a tree or a high object if he needs to flee up to safety.
My original cat was indoor/outdoor. (Except nights when strictly indoor). Never trimmed her claws once. Never needed to. I lived in the UK where indoor/outdoor cats are the norm and at that time none of my friends trimmed their cats‘ claws either.
My cat now - originally little semi-feral wild skittish street cat - is indoor with outdoor catio and controlled time/walks in communal garden. Although I have a nail trimmer and do watch her claws vigilantly, I‘ve only used it a couple of times on one particular claw that seems to get less wear. She only had her claws trimmed by the vet in the first month she was with me as she developed a couple of itchy hot spots and - although she was being treated - we wanted to reduce the damage done by any scratching. She does not scratch furniture, flooring or me 😉
Regarding the damage your cat has done to you - I can imagine that is really pretty nasty 😱 and I understand you want to protect yourself, especially if you have to take a non compliant kitty to the vet soon.
However - as you have already said - I think socialization is the long term key to him not scratching you (even with claws) and understanding his signs/limits that he‘s about to scratch/jump and then getting out of the way, making a noise or deflecting him onto a toy he can savage.😉
He may also get less scratchy when he gets older and more sensible.
My little kitty was often terrified and hissy when she was new and also considered taking a couple of swipes at me a couple of times. Especially when she had initially discovered the joys of cuddling she sometimes became over stimulated - I saw it coming and hissed at her. 😂. That worked. I also initially never ever used my hands to interact in play with her.
She now understands to be careful with hands (and me 😉) and I now occasionally allow her to bat my hand (eg while playing through the stair railings) which she does with her claws retracted.
I think the first couple of months with a new stray/feral cat can be challenging as although a low stress environment is vital for less socialized cats to decompress, often health conditions present which require vet visits and thus stress. I went through quite a tricky time here myself - although it all worked out well in the end☺☺ as I‘m sure it will with you and UNC
All the best to you both! :)

• Hugging
Reactions: Unc

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there - your kitty is beautiful and thanks for taking him in😻
Personally I’d be a little reserved about trimming his claws as long as he is indoor/outdoor. Claws allow him to defend himself if needed and allow him more grip up a tree or a high object if he needs to flee up to safety.
My original cat was indoor/outdoor. (Except nights when strictly indoor). Never trimmed her claws once. Never needed to. I lived in the UK where indoor/outdoor cats are the norm and at that time none of my friends trimmed their cats‘ claws either.
Unc thanks you for the wonderful complement :hyper:

I will need to consider the minor clip a bit more before I make a decision.
Certainly dont want to put him at a Disadvantage when outside.

He may actually be the street bully as far as wildlife are concerned, He is without
a doubt getting into it with things, Has new puncture wounds once or twice
a week, more than one rabbit has been presented to me for appreciation.
I need to order a MOTION Camera for his collar soon

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unc thanks you for the wonderful complement :hyper:

I will need to consider the minor clip a bit more before I make a decision.
Certainly dont want to put him at a Disadvantage when outside.

He may actually be the street bully as far as wildlife are concerned, He is without
a doubt getting into it with things, Has new puncture wounds once or twice
a week, more than one rabbit has been presented to me for appreciation.
I need to order a MOTION Camera for his collar soon

the thing about indoor outdoor kitties is his life span will be drastically reduced and his odds of getting a terrible disease are very increased. those punctures could also be cat fights which put him at risk for felv and fiv as well as numerous other diseases. making him entirely indoor or indoor cat enclosure is much better for him and the local wildlife. they really do adapt to being indoors only very quickly. there is like a week of yowling at the door and then they stop doing that.

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
the thing about indoor outdoor kitties is his life span will be drastically reduced and his odds of getting a terrible disease are very increased. those punctures could also be cat fights which put him at risk for felv and fiv as well as numerous other diseases. making him entirely indoor or indoor cat enclosure is much better for him and the local wildlife. they really do adapt to being indoors only very quickly. there is like a week of yowling at the door and then they stop doing that.
Thanks so much for the advice I do understand :thanks:

I wish I could keep him in 24/7 but at the moment he is just not going to accept it without a fight.
Hoping once I get the CATIO put together the transition will be easier but
we will have to take it slow.

BTW There is an Indoor/Outdoor Cat directly across the street that is
really beat up, Lost an eye, bent tail, I call him Bad Eye. Anyway I talked
to the owner of the house and was told he is approx 7 yrs old but has
started to come home with injuries over the last few yrs? So yes the
Danger is real but so is locking myself in a house with a determined semi-wild cat :bat:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the advice I do understand :thanks:

I wish I could keep him in 24/7 but at the moment he is just not going to accept it without a fight.
Hoping once I get the CATIO put together the transition will be easier but
we will have to take it slow.

BTW There is an Indoor/Outdoor Cat directly across the street that is
really beat up, Lost an eye, bent tail, I call him Bad Eye. Anyway I talked
to the owner of the house and was told he is approx 7 yrs old but has
started to come home with injuries over the last few yrs? So yes the
Danger is real but so is locking myself in a house with a determined semi-wild cat :bat:
lol its not as scary as it might seem. :p I mean, I don't know your cat. i'll give you that.. but i've tamed actual full ferals before (which I do not think your baby is). as far as being kept in. their threats tend to be much much more serious sounding than the reality. I think there are areas of hte forum where people who transition ferals all the time hang out and might have some hints for you.

• Purraise

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol its not as scary as it might seem. :p I mean, I don't know your cat. i'll give you that.. but i've tamed actual full ferals before (which I do not think your baby is). as far as being kept in. their threats tend to be much much more serious sounding than the reality. I think there are areas of hte forum where people who transition ferals all the time hang out and might have some hints for you.
Again thanks very much I will have to search out the others on this site dealing with
Stray/Ferals good idea :thanks:

While he certainly cant be called Feral Now, He was 8 weeks ago :)

I have never owned a Cat and was Very Surprised to find out how strong
and aggressive a 10lb cat can be.

My ORIGINAL attempt to engage him with a Toy (fishing rod toy) was an EYE OPENING experience for Him & Me :redtongue:

At that time he was only coming in downstairs to eat and look around for a bit,
The attempt at Play was a total disaster and I was very concerned he
was going to eat the feather and foil attached to the rod, He eventually left it alone
long enough for me to take away.

THE attack on the toy WAS VICIOUS and Eye Opening for him and me,
His Eyes went LARGE and Opened WIDE No blink and Wild look started Growling, Ripping and Shredding
while at the same time proceeding to DRAG it and ME (holding onto rod) out the sliding Glass door
were he finished it off.

Not that I expect it would ever happen but I don't want to be on the receiving end of that

Last edited:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Again thanks very much I will have to search out the others on this site dealing with
Stray/Ferals good idea :thanks:

While he certainly cant be called Feral Now, He was 8 weeks ago :)

I have never owned a Cat and was Very Surprised to find out how strong
and aggressive a 10lb cat can be.

My ORIGINAL attempt to engage him with a Toy (fishing rod toy) was an EYE OPENING experience for Him & Me :redtongue:

At that time he was only coming in downstairs to eat and look around for a bit,
The attempt at Play was a total disaster and I was very concerned he
was going to eat the feather and foil attached to the rod, He eventually left it alone
long enough for me to take away.

THE attack on the toy WAS VICIOUS and Eye Opening for him and me,
His Eyes went LARGE and Opened WIDE No blink and Wild look started Growling, Ripping and Shredding
while at the same time proceeding to DRAG it and ME (holding onto rod) out the sliding Glass door
were he finished it off.

Not that I expect it would ever happen but I don't want to be on the receiving end of that
your kitty looks like a total lil lovebug. :) I'm pretty sure he's never been actual feral. just abandoned.
an actual feral doesn't go from feral to sleeping on your lap with eyes half closed in 8 weeks. but a kitty that once had a home will def do so. your kitty had humans in his past at some point. when cats don't know you they can be a little cray cray. we brought dante in from living in under our garden shed a number of years ago. we weren't sure if he was feral or a stray or just lost at first but it became very apparent after awhile that he was actually living under our garden shed. (and the suspicious very very bad smells from that part of the yard also dissipated when we brought him in) he was WILD when we got him in the cage and hauled him off to the vet directly for eval. ( we have three other cats and could not bring in a cat of unknown disease status) we warned them he was wild adn that they might need to use their special wild cat gloves.. and they were like... yeah he's a sweetie. lol. apparently while he seemed very crazy to us once in the vet scenario it was like any other domestic cat when confronted with a vet. they kind of freeze.

anyway we got him neutered and brought him home. he actually ripped wood from the bottom of the frame trying to get out over night. it took a week or two before he calmed down and stopped howling. by two months he was fully integrated with us and the other cats.

here is my thread from when we first got him in

actual ferals don't know how to relate to humans at all and in some cases with adult ferals they never trust humans. the only ferals I've been able to tame were still kittens. your baby at least as a kitten had humans around him. I'm guessing someone abandoned him. :( your kitties ear is clipped which means he was probably tnr at some point (trap neuter release) they clip ears so they dont bother with him again. they're too aggressive with that I think and cats that aren't feral get tagged as feral when they could be rehomed.
this is from when he was still in the basement room a few weeks after we got him.
IMG_20190615_1647592.jpg

Last edited:
  • Hugging

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suspect he was born to a stray or Feral ? TNR Trapped as a Kitten,
socialized young during his recovery time and either never adopted and returned
or adopted and abandoned/lost soon after. He is at best 1.5 yrs old.
Eyes changed color soon after I meet him ( 8 weeks ago), Ear was fully healed.
He may have been on his own early and then again within the last 6 months or so.
I understood feral as born wild but he does seem to fit the Stray category a bit better

Oh what a cutie, Batman :) I hope when I get my guy to the vet it will be the same pleasant
surprise

Yup a little lovebug for sure

uncshirt.jpg

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I suspect he was born to a stray or Feral ? TNR Trapped as a Kitten,
socialized young during his recovery time and either never adopted and returned
or adopted and abandoned/lost soon after. He is at best 1.5 yrs old.
Eyes changed color soon after I meet him ( 8 weeks ago), Ear was fully healed.
He may have been on his own early and then again within the last 6 months or so.
I understood feral as born wild but he does seem to fit the Stray category a bit better

Oh what a cutie, Batman :) I hope when I get my guy to the vet it will be the same pleasant
surprise

Yup a little lovebug for sure

View attachment 464937
I don't think they do that to kittens. if they can socialize a kitten (and you always can) they will rehome them. kittens are much much easier to deal with than fully grown cats. and yeah your little dude is a love bug for sure lol. he's so happy to have a home. :) you're doing good deeds.

• Purraise

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think they do that to kittens. if they can socialize a kitten (and you always can) they will rehome them. kittens are much much easier to deal with than fully grown cats. and yeah your little dude is a love bug for sure lol. he's so happy to have a home. :) you're doing good deeds.
He is doing the Good Deed :) I needed him

I mentioned that scenario because I was recently looking at CL and Noticed an ad for a couple kittens that were
rescued and going to placed in the TNR program if no one adopted them
After reading that i thought thats probably what happened to this guy

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He is doing the Good Deed :) I needed him

I mentioned that scenario because I was recently looking at CL and Noticed an ad for a couple kittens that were
rescued and going to placed in the TNR program if no one adopted them
After reading that i thought thats probably what happened to this guy

ok wow, that's sad. they should be placed in one of those no kill non profit shelters instead of tnr. those people are bad people imo. im surprised the vets are going along with it.

• Purraise

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok wow, that's sad. they should be placed in one of those no kill non profit shelters instead of tnr. those people are bad people imo. im surprised the vets are going along with it.
As I remember the comment was they did not want to place in shelter for fear of euthanasia,
SADLY there are ALSO ads for Actual INJECTION complete with needle on CL VERY DANGEROUS,
Who knows how it has been stored or even whats in the vial.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As I remember the comment was they did not want to place in shelter for fear of euthanasia,
SADLY there are ALSO ads for Actual INJECTION complete with needle on CL VERY DANGEROUS,
Who knows how it has been stored or even whats in the vial.

i'd report those.

• Purraise

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
Divine guidance,
Just realized the Vinyl Fence l purchased is PERFECT for enclosing my
Backyard :) The Long back wall is a Cement type Wall construction :) 10 feet high on My Side.
This along with the Vinyl 7ft panels on both sides (Left side, Right side)
I should effectively be able to keep him restricted to my own backyard.
As insurance I may install inward angled cat netting at the tops :)

unc_yard1.jpg