What breed do I resemble ?

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stray who has recently started to live inside :yess:

Curious what others think HE may Resemble.
I am 65 and never owned a cat, would like to
be able to describe him accurately
Fur type,
Color
His name is UNC and he is Approx between 1.5 to 2 years old, best guess
Weighs 10 lbs , Paws look like he could get bigger
THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE
Here are some photos I can provide more :thumbsup::thumbsup:

20231016_180211(1).jpg

20231107_192417.jpg

unc_what_am_i_4.jpg

kitty10_22_4.jpg

unc71.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is surely a domestic long hair, even if he possibly does has some ancestry. The face and cheek bones as seen on pic 1 arent the most common.
Color is blue tabby with white... Some will say grey tabby, others will say diluted tabby... The tabby pattern not easy to see, perhaps because he is longhair.

To observe, the whitish around mouth and eyes is secondary caracteristics of being a tabby, its not true white spot.
But he is white on chest and paws.

ps. the third eyelid is rather big... The third eyelid comes often if they have some inflammation in the body; often its "just" worms.
But if he is recently dewormed, it may be wise to let a vet check him up, especielly if he has any other sympthoms too...

But a barely visible third eyelid doesnt need to mean anything.

Ps2. Very pretty boy. Lucky you and lucky him whom found each other!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
ps. the third eyelid is rather big... The third eyelid comes often if they have some inflammation in the body; often its "just" worms.
But if he is recently dewormed, it may be wise to let a vet check him up, especielly if he has any other sympthoms too...

But a barely visible third eyelid doesnt need to mean anything.

Ps2. Very pretty boy. Lucky you and lucky him whom found each other!
Thanks so much for that AWESOME INFO
Oh he did have tapeworms early on, I checked stoles often
BUT not having experience I obviously missed the
issue as while brushing I NOTICE one near the tail
Gave over the counter TAPEWORM Pill approx 4 weeks
ago and have not noticed any since.

Looks like its time to attempt the VET Visit

AGAIN Thanks Sooooo Much for taking the time to respond and
offer that great description

unc_meds.jpg

EDIT Just a few minutes ago
unc_eyes.jpg unc_eyes3.jpg

So good description would be
domestic long hair, blue tabby with white
THANKS SO MUCH
StefanZ StefanZ
:bliss:

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks so much for that AWESOME INFO
Oh he did have tapeworms early on, I checked stoles often
BUT not having experience I obviously missed the
issue as while brushing I NOTICE one near the tail
Gave over the counter TAPEWORM Pill approx 4 weeks
ago and have not noticed any since.

Looks like its time to attempt the VET Visit

AGAIN Thanks Sooooo Much for taking the time to respond and
offer that great description

View attachment 464290

EDIT Just a few minutes ago
View attachment 464296View attachment 464297

So good description would be
domestic long hair, blue tabby with white
THANKS SO MUCH
StefanZ StefanZ
:bliss:
His eyes do look much better in these pictures, but it's still a good idea to get him to a vet to be checked out.

• Love
Reactions: Unc

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
His eyes do look much better in these pictures, but it's still a good idea to get him to a vet to be checked out.
Thanks for confirming they look better, very much appreciated.
but Yes I agree, I plan on calling a VET early tomorrow morning (Monday) and at the
VERY Least Maybe be able to bring in a stole sample, not sure if that will tell
the full story but its better then nothing until I can get him in

Last edited:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
just a heads up never ever ever ever use haartz products. i would ask your vet for products to seek out and use those. haartz has caused some bad issues in kittehs.

my understanding with the third eyelid is that if the cat is relaxed or near sleeping it's not a big deal but if it's all the time it's to be concerned about. to me, all of those photos where the third eyelid is prominent seem to have a very sleepy kitty. in some cats, it's natural but it shouldn't cover much more than a corner of the eye. ask your vet what they think. to me he looks more on the normal side.

one of my cats is like that. and has been since we got him. the vet has never been concerned about it. it comes out even if he's a little sleepy but when he's full alert its like the last two pics of your kitty. but he is sleepy most of the time.

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
just a heads up never ever ever ever use haartz products. i would ask your vet for products to seek out and use those. haartz has caused some bad issues in kittehs.

my understanding with the third eyelid is that if the cat is relaxed or near sleeping it's not a big deal but if it's all the time it's to be concerned about. to me, all of those photos where the third eyelid is prominent seem to have a very sleepy kitty. in some cats, it's natural but it shouldn't cover much more than a corner of the eye. ask your vet what they think. to me he looks more on the normal side.

one of my cats is like that. and has been since we got him. the vet has never been concerned about it. it comes out even if he's a little sleepy but when he's full alert its like the last two pics of your kitty. but he is sleepy most of the time.
Thanks soooo much for the great info, I was unaware of the HAARTZ Issues , Very good to know
THANKS AGAIN

As you noticed I think most of those are him in very relaxed waking moments. I had even started to make
a comment about how I thought he was sleeping when I took one watching Sunday morning Football.
Actually most of those were taken when he was still going out from 7pm until 6:30am
so he was sleeping nearly all day. I suspect when he was out at night he was on HIGH ALERT
The whole time and taking advantage of the safe indoor security

Getting ready to research some local vets and try to set-up an open appointment and hope
in the meantime I can bring in a stool sample.

Everyone hear is so Great I feel very blessed to have this resource available:hyper::itslove:

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well that REALLY SUCKS seems NO Vets, Animal shelter or Humane society
can TEST A STOOL sample for tapeworm UNLESS you bring them in.
How do you care for a Feral/Stray cat in the meantime, It feels like money motivated
why cant I pay to test for a tapeworm stool test to see if I corrected the problem ?
I am not asking for medication
ONLY A TEST
(I don't have to give him another dose if I don't need to)

EDIT:
If a positive test was the result I WOULD indeed bring him in for a Vet recommendation
BUT if its negative for worms I feel I can wait until he is better settled. Only been staying inside
for approx 5 weeks and most of that time he was indoor outdoor and on Feral time

Last edited:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well that REALLY SUCKS seems NO Vets, Animal shelter or Humane society
can TEST A STOOL sample for tapeworm UNLESS you bring them in.
How do you care for a Feral/Stray cat in the meantime, It feels like money motivated
why cant I pay to test for a tapeworm stool test to see if I corrected the problem ?
I am not asking for medication
ONLY A TEST

thats pretty normal. any time they give any kind of drug they like to assess the over all condition of the cat to make sure they're not going to hurt it by giving it anything. if you don't have a vet you need to establish a relationship with one anyway. once you have a relationship established they usually lighten up a little on things like that. if you have a cats only vet near by aim for that. they like to diagnose things like do we need to test for worms or what else might be going on here. if your cat hasn't been to a vet for an over all physical since you got him that needs to be done anyway. I mean if you called a doctor you'd never been to before and asked if they could do a stool sample for you they'd also say you need to come in first right?

• Purraise

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
thats pretty normal. any time they give any kind of drug they like to assess the over all condition of the cat to make sure they're not going to hurt it by giving it anything. if you don't have a vet you need to establish a relationship with one anyway. once you have a relationship established they usually lighten up a little on things like that. if you have a cats only vet near by aim for that. they like to diagnose things like do we need to test for worms or what else might be going on here. if your cat hasn't been to a vet for an over all physical since you got him that needs to be done anyway. I mean if you called a doctor you'd never been to before and asked if they could do a stool sample for you they'd also say you need to come in first right?
I am not asking for THEM to prescribe medication Only if he has worms
I see no reason why they cant tell me that if I am willing to pay for the test ?

additionally I do plan to bring him into a vet as soon as he is ready
Its Only been 5 weeks and dont want to traumatize him this early on.

REFUSING to do a stool sample to confirm or eliminate worms seems very
restrictive. Again if he does YES I would re-consider taking him in NOw

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not asking for THEM to prescribe medication Only if he has worms
I see no reason why they cant tell me that if I am willing to pay for the test ?

additionally I do plan to bring him into a vet as soon as he is ready
Its Only been 5 weeks and dont want to traumatize him this early on.

REFUSING to do a stool sample to confirm or eliminate worms seems very
restrictive. Again if he does YES I would re-consider taking him in NOw

all vets are like that. just like doctors for humans. they tend to have the same policies. there are a lot of issues beyond worms that your new kitty might have and if they just test for worms and then you're like good to go.. something obvs the vet might have caught might turn into worse health probs later on or even now.

Last edited:
  • Love

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
all vets are like that. just like doctors for humans. they tend to have the same policies. there are a lot of issues beyond worms that your new kitty might have and if they just test for worms and then you're like good to go.. something obvs the vet might have caught might turn into worse health probs later on or even now.
Thanks again I really do appreciate it, I was hoping to know sooner but it is what it is.
So looks like its time to start putting his food dish in the carry house.
and start getting him use to being in it so i can get him to the vet

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we have a netted in catio too. we just sort of netted in some of the deck and access it via window lol. I think we're using soccer netting.

• Purraise

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
we have a netted in catio too. we just sort of netted in some of the deck and access it via window lol. I think we're using soccer netting.
Nice :thumbsup:
Planing to build any framework needed using PVC,.
Should make for an easy assemble :).
Home Depot has sliding Glass Door inserts with Pet Doors,
Perfect to keep my heat inside and still allow
him free access to a Net enclosed Patio Catio with maybe
some of those tube runs leading to an enclosed grass area ?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nice :thumbsup:
Planing to build any framework needed using PVC,.
Should make for an easy assemble :).
Home Depot has sliding Glass Door inserts with Pet Doors,
Perfect to keep my heat inside and still allow
him free access to a Net enclosed Patio Catio with maybe
some of those tube runs leading to an enclosed grass area ?

we wanted to do that but never could come up with a way to enclose the top. we have owls hawks and eagles here. also have coyotes so unfortunately anything off the patio has to be pretty secure.

• Purraise

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
we wanted to do that but never could come up with a way to enclose the top. we have owls hawks and eagles here. also have coyotes so unfortunately anything off the patio has to be pretty secure.
Yes a secure roof is important, We have Owls, Raccoons, skunks and other wild life roaming the area
Oh there is a PAIR of Eagles that I seem to be on there hunting route, I can watch them daily
doing slow circles as they move towards the lake area in our neighborhood

He has come home with puncture wounds on head and behind ears as have other community cats
I guess it could be from the Rabbits he kept bringing home He is 10 lbs but no match for a OWL

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes a secure roof is important, We have Owls, Raccoons, skunks and other wild life roaming the area
Oh there is a PAIR of Eagles that I seem to be on there hunting route, I can watch them daily
doing slow circles as they move towards the lake area in our neighborhood

He has come home with puncture wounds on head and behind ears as have other community cats
I guess it could be from the Rabbits he kept bringing home He is 10 lbs but no match for a OWL
Yes, securing roof is important. Not only because of hostile carnivores may come in this way, but also an agile or eager cat may climb out; occasionally even jump out...

• Purraise

Unc

Made in U.S.A.
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keeping him in is not working very well, Dont think I have socialized him well enough yet
and he seems to want to be the ALPHA, Not going to happen :)
He now has a cat door and roaming rights until I can set up the Catio.
Oh this scratch was under a THICK Flannel Log sleeve Shirt and it does not show the
claw marks on my neck
i may have been a springboard for his Zommies
He nearly got banished to the downstairs area but he is so damn cute
when he is not making me bleed
uncbite2.jpg

Oh I finally got him to investigate his carry house, He even slept in
it last night so very soon its off to the VET for check-up and shots

Last edited: