What Are You Reading? (Part Three)

Status
Not open for further replies.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've just recently started Michael Fawcett's "Krazy Days" on my kindle. i've borrowed it via my amazon prime membership, through their lending library. it's supposed to be a true story about east end london underworld during the 1950's through 1970's. i got interested in this subject/topic through watching the series "Whitechapel" through my hulu membership.

i have another topic i'm interested in reading about next -- the lost colony of roanoke (island). i read a book on this years ago, but the topic still interests me.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've just started Ender's Game.
You should enjoy it if you like Science Fiction. Did you see the movie? Good, but not as good as the book. Do you also have Ender's Shadow? I have the whole series, I think.  Anyway, I have 44 e-books by Orson Scott Card.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You should enjoy it if you like Science Fiction. Did you see the movie? Good, but not as good as the book. Do you also have Ender's Shadow? I have the whole series, I think.  Anyway, I have 44 e-books by Orson Scott Card.
I don't normally care much for science fiction, but my ex highly recommended this book to my daughter and gave it to her for Christmas. She loved it, so I am reading it now. I've since downloaded the entire series onto her Kindle and she's reading Ender's Shadow now. 

We haven't seen the movie yet. We're going to watch it after I finish the book. And I wouldn't expect it to live up to the book... they so rarely do!

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Terry's catspaw66 catspaw66 recommendation, I'm reading "Carved in Bone", the first of the Body Farm series. I read the "prequel" to the series, "Cut to the Bone", this weekend and am hooked. I'm a big Kathy Reichs fan, and enjoyed Patricia Cornwell's early books, i.e., before her side stories and characters got too bizarre.
What are the books about?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith.
It's about Russia during the hard times in 1965 when people were being picked up for nothing more than keeping a diary.
The hero is an ex KGB called Leo Demidov.
It's well written. I read a previous book by the name author and the same hero that was excellent
Called Child 44. Well worth reading.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are about a Forensic Pathologist. Like the show "Bones" on TV.
I loved bones but wouldn't read her books. Read Patricia whatshername years ago, and I mean years ago, until she startedd to go weird and I don't want to read that sort of book again. I just bought me n3 books
Byeee

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I had started to read the Southern Vampire Series/True Blood, but I tired of it quickly. The TV series isn't that great either. The first season was pretty good; after that, I thought it went downhill. I've had Season 4, got it from my co-worker for months now and keep saying that I'm going to start watching it. But I haven't been able to talk myself into it. (I do like the music, though. I like Jase Everett's voice.)

Has anybody read the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton? She is a vampire hunter  and necromancer. It's a very interesting series and I enjoy reading the books. They can be graphic and very sexually graphic, too.
I feel the same, although watching True Blood has become a tradition on warm summer nights, and I will miss the show after this season. The first season was clearly the best, the second and third seasons have their charms, and the show's camp factor is great -- even last season had some great moments, including the call-back to the very first scene in the very first episode of True Blood, when that couple goes into a convenience store to buy bottled Tru Blood.

That said, I never got past the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. There was way too much romance-novel-style prose, to the point where it seemed every other chapter had Sookie's POV describing how awesome it was to have Bill "inside her." Also, Elvis as a vampire is kinda risible.

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OHHHHH I wonder if my library carries these in ebook fomat. I love, love, loveeee Bones the show!!
I can't find any more Dave and Neta Jones in eformat. I love my Nook but I reallllly wish more books were inthe ebook format.

They are about a Forensic Pathologist. Like the show "Bones" on TV.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, the "Body Farm" books are more accurate than "Bones" A lot of the equipment they use on TV does not exist.

Go to Barnes and Noble and search for the books you want. Quite a few of them are free.

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I am hoping our library has the ebook versions of this series. I have heard from other people, the books are better than the TV show.

Really... Barnes and Noble... do you rent/borrow them or? If you come across the page, can you post it here.

Thanks again!

Actually, the "Body Farm" books are more accurate than "Bones" A lot of the equipment they use on TV does not exist.

Go to Barnes and Noble and search for the books you want. Quite a few of them are free.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. I am hoping our library has the ebook versions of this series. I have heard from other people, the books are better than the TV show.

Really... Barnes and Noble... do you rent/borrow them or? If you come across the page, can you post it here.

Thanks again!
Just log into the account you had to set up when you activated your Nook. Or go to the Shop button on your Nook. I can't post the page as it has personal information on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have Carved in Bone on my Nook now, too. After I finish A Game of Thrones,  I'll start in on Carved in Bone. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just started to read Nothing but the Truth by John lescroart. It's not a funny book but the first page made me laugh out loud. A young man is brought drunk into the Courtroom drunk but he'd already spent 2 nights in jail trying to sober him up but to no avail.
It so happens that everything concerning the case from judge down are all Asian.
The judge ask the guy if he knows where he is and he replied he doesn't know and takes a valiant guess 'China'? That made me laugh. Out load.
However as I read further on I find it very readable.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because I'm also doing a hyper-accelerated college course this month, my free-reading time is very limited. So I'm only about halfway through Ender's Game but just wanted to update to say this book is so good!

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just finished the manga Another, and Jonathan Maberry's Code Zero. I'm now reading Maberry's Special Ops Joe Ledger short story collection.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Because I'm also doing a hyper-accelerated college course this month, my free-reading time is very limited. So I'm only about halfway through Ender's Game but just wanted to update to say this book is so good!
So glad you are loving Ender's Game. One of the top Science Fiction books of the year in my opinion. When you get through with it, I would love to discuss it with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.