What Are You Reading? (Part Three)

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A similar thing happened to me with the Southern Vampire Mysteries (the Sookie Stackhouse books). After True Blood started, the books went waaay downhill. The first five or so are very entertaining. I think Ms. Harris intended to finish the series much sooner and was convinced to keep on writing because of the show. Ugh. Bad idea. What she did was nothing short of character assassination. I felt like I lost some of my best friends.
I read somewhere that Bill was supposed to be killed off, but she was convinced to not do it because of the direction the TV show was taking. Ugh, again. I read the last few books of the series and ended up angry and very sad after each one. The strange thing is after the first season, TB goes completely in it's own direction, so her butchering of her own series occurred for no reason.
 Yes agreed, I never have been able to finish TSVM, they just got soooooo bad, and I had really loved them!!

I just finished rereading Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows

Hoping to start the Divergent Trilogy when I get time.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How did you like Dinosaur Wars:Eartfall?

For me that was really capturing book, but I don't know if others find it bit far from any reality?

Does anyone else read web comics?

I have been reading this one recently, if one can ignore certain elements it has quite nice story and setting, but as all web comics it is bit slow and after 10 years story is still not finished :
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/

Another bit similar is http://generation17.petitesymphony.com/comic/cover which I have not caught up yet.

I find both interesting, but at the same time I find both not quite moving enough, story begans nicely, but then it is bit like if story gets to background and focus is with relationships and such which are not so much interest for me, but for someone else that might be a plus side.
Was it you that suggested Earthfall? If so, sorry I mis-attributed it. I sat and read it in one day. I loved it.

Yes, I read webcomics.   I read Twokinds. If you want one that is more reality, try  www.twolumps.net  Go to the archive and start from the beginning.

I also read  Badly Drawn Kitties, which is very adult; Ozy and Millie; Freefall; Sabrina Online; Sinfest, which is also adult.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it you that suggested Earthfall? If so, sorry I mis-attributed it. I sat and read it in one day. I loved it.

Yes, I read webcomics.   I read Twokinds. If you want one that is more reality, try  www.twolumps.net  Go to the archive and start from the beginning.

I also read  Badly Drawn Kitties, which is very adult; Ozy and Millie; Freefall; Sabrina Online; Sinfest, which is also adult.
I did suggest Eartfall, but also it is possible that Winchester suggested too, there is not knowing, but it really does not matter, what matters is that we find new things to read and sometimes there are wonderful new findings too :)

Thank you from the Two lumps link, had not heard from it but it does look quite interesting, I have often searched comic with cats but never found, so that link really hits the spot!

I read mostly fiction, but anything that hooks is good read for me :D

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want one that is more reality, try  www.twolumps.net  Go to the archive and start from the beginning.
This Two Lumps has been really great, I have laughed aloud a lot, even water in eyes, that really reaches the true cat mind, great humor and all. I think it might be something every cat person might enjoy.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This Two Lumps has been really great, I have laughed aloud a lot, even water in eyes, that really reaches the true cat mind, great humor and all. I think it might be something every cat person might enjoy.
Glad you like it. I have recommended it several times over the last two years, but you are the only one that has said they are reading it.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you like it. I have recommended it several times over the last two years, but you are the only one that has said they are reading it.
It must be that others have got so immersed by Two Lumps that they forgot everything else around and were reading just one more page for hundreds of pages :D

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How did you like Dinosaur Wars:Eartfall?

For me that was really capturing book, but I don't know if others find it bit far from any reality?

For a longer answer, I really liked the explanation of how they made light into a solid. The premise and physics make sense, if you can ignore part of Einstein's Theory of Relativity. Perhaps the author was right and Einstein didn't go far enough.

I really like Science Fiction (I refuse to call it Sci-Fi), particularly the hard science type. If you really like that type, read David Weber's Honorverse series. His lasers and grasers (gamma ray cannons) using gravitational lenses to focus the beams for an effective distance of 400,000 kilometers. You can download the first two here www.baenebooks.com/c-29-honor-harrington-series-by-david-weber.aspx 

If you like them, let me know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I did suggest Eartfall, but also it is possible that Winchester suggested too, there is not knowing, but it really does not matter, what matters is that we find new things to read and sometimes there are wonderful new findings too

Thank you from the Two lumps link, had not heard from it but it does look quite interesting, I have often searched comic with cats but never found, so that link really hits the spot!

I read mostly fiction, but anything that hooks is good read for me
I don't remember reading Earthfall, but now I will check it out.

Finished The Drums of Autumn last night and am about 300 pages (out of 1300+ pages) into The Fiery Cross. I checked the library and saw that A Breath of Snow and Ashes could be put on hold, so I put myself on the list. 3 out of 3 people. I figured, well, no problem, because I still have to read The Fiery Cross. And didn't that darn book come in last night! So now I'm reading The Fiery Cross (I now have two days left) and then will have to start A Breath of Snow and Ashes right away. It looks like I'll have the series completely re-read well before Written in My Own Heart's Blood comes out in June.

I don't get Starz either, so I'll have to wait til it comes out on video. I'm looking forward to seeing the show! Big Claire and Jamie fan!

Asherdash, whoever thought that Katherine Heigl can act ought to have their heads examined. She was terrible as Stephanie Plum. Absolutely terrible. The casting in that movie was atrocious....whoever casted those parts had never read the books. Never. It was a horrible movie. And I've noticed that Janet Evanovich is doing what a lot of other writers have started to do.....either writing with somebody else or they're lending their names out. Something. James Patterson and Clive Cussler are doing the same thing (and I am a huge Cussler fan). Seems like they're publishing a ton of books all the time in various themes. And I think the books suffer as a result. That's JMO.

I had started to read the Southern Vampire Series/True Blood, but I tired of it quickly. The TV series isn't that great either. The first season was pretty good; after that, I thought it went downhill. I've had Season 4, got it from my co-worker for months now and keep saying that I'm going to start watching it. But I haven't been able to talk myself into it. (I do like the music, though. I like Jase Everett's voice.)

Has anybody read the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton? She is a vampire hunter  and necromancer. It's a very interesting series and I enjoy reading the books. They can be graphic and very sexually graphic, too.

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am currently reading the autobiography of Stephen Pearcy, the lead singer of 80s rock band RATT (saw them in concert by force once). I'm almost done with it and even though most of the book deals with living a life of "rock and roll excess" and self brought upon problems, I can say that the determination, drive and work ethic Stephen Pearcy had is really admirable, and I never really even liked him!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
On Terry's catspaw66 catspaw66 recommendation, I'm reading "Carved in Bone", the first of the Body Farm series. I read the "prequel" to the series, "Cut to the Bone", this weekend and am hooked. I'm a big Kathy Reichs fan, and enjoyed Patricia Cornwell's early books, i.e., before her side stories and characters got too bizarre.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've finished the Body Farm fiction series by "Jefferson Bass", plus the non-fiction Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensic Lab the Body Farm Where the Dead Do Tell Tales. Right now I'm reading the sequel to the latter, Beyond the Body Farm: A Legendary Bone Detective Explores Murders, Mysteries, and the Revolution in Forensic Science.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've finished the Body Farm fiction series by "Jefferson Bass", plus the non-fiction Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensic Lab the Body Farm Where the Dead Do Tell Tales. Right now I'm reading the sequel to the latter, Beyond the Body Farm: A Legendary Bone Detective Explores Murders, Mysteries, and the Revolution in Forensic Science.
Never heard of him, but I like forensic style books, so I'll check these out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I finally finished the Outlander series and am impatiently waiting for In My Own Heart's Blood to come out.....it's coming some time in June, I think.

Also on my Nook right now:

Joyland - Stephen King

Windows 8 for Dummies (yes, I do read the Dummies computer books sometimes)

The Code of the Hills - Nancy Allen

NOS4A2 - Joe Hill

I took Dr. Sleep (Stephen King) with me on vacation. For some reason though, I can only take this book in small doses. I used to be able to sit and read and read and read a King book. I would sit and devour it. This one? It bothers me and I can't put a finger on why.

I've been having some issues with my Nook. Since I moved it over to the new computer, every time I attach it to the computer, Windows now keeps telling me that the Nook is "corrupted" and Windows wants to scan and try to fix it. I'm wary and, as long as the Nook keeps picking up the books, I'm going to leave well enough alone. I've googled and googled, trying to find an answer to "corrupted Nook" and "Windows tells me my Nook is corrupted" and all kinds of things. No answer. I'm not sure exactly what to do. If anybody has any ideas, I'd be grateful. 

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading John Connolly's "The Burning Soul".

The subject matter is interesting, a private detective who tracks down supernatural beings and solves crimes.  But at the same time, it's hard to follow, in fact all of his books of this nature are hard to follow, and thus I tend to take longer reading them because I sometimes find myself bored with the story.  However, because the subject is interesting, and the overall story is good, I find myself not able to put his books down for long.

Quite the dilemma I find myself in when I read his novels,  LOL

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The newest book by Dave and Neta Jackson. Forget the name. I am normally not into Christian books (I am Christian).
Their books, I feel like I am in the stories or know the characters . I wish I could find more ebooks of theirs. I keep checking the library or our used bookstores for hard back. :)

D found one via our library today. I am 29% done with this one. I will read more tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.