What are you reading? 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am currently reading : Lord of the Rings trilogy ; Dragonriders of Pern trilogy ; War of the Worlds ; some Jules Verne ; and several webcomics. I love my Nook HD+. A library and a movie theater all in one small package.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I lost my Overdrive app on my Nook last night. It just disappeared. One minute I was lying in bed reading and when Rick got home from bowling, I got up to see how he did. Came back to bed and.....no Overdrive. No app at all. No library books. Nothing. So this morning, after I got into work, I downloaded the app again, and re-downloaded the library books that I was reading:

Vanishing Girls - Lauren Oliver

61 Hours - Lee Child (a Jack Reacher novel)

Heads in Beds - Jacob Tomsky (A pretty stupid expose type of book about the hotel business that I am not going to finish. That's what I was reading last night when my Overdrive app died.)

Terry, I cannot tell you how many times I've read LoTR; I love that series. Yeah, I can watch the movies, but it's not the same as getting lost in the books. I also like the Dragonriders of Pern; my son and I are both Anne McCaffrey fans. He started reading the books and I followed him soon after. They're really good.

We are also fans of Alan Dean Foster. I loved his Spellsinger series. Oh, I know....talking animals, amorous otters (with an accent to boot), and all that. But the books were hilarious.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the whole Spellsinger series - in paper, no less. Another good talking animal series is the Tales of Redwall, by Brian Jacques. I have 14 of them, also in paper.

I try to read LOTR every year And have been doing so since 1976.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Our son had the Spellsinger series, too. When he went out on his own, he took them with him. I bought a used set in paperback for my own use. 

I've reread LoTR many times, but not nearly as often as you have.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you like Alan Dean Foster, look for the Pip and Flinx series. I don't know hard they would be to find, as I bought mine 20 years ago or so. Check out your favorite used book store.

What is Overdrive? I don't have it on my Nook.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I have read some of the Pip and Flinx books, again largely because of our son reading them when he was younger.

Overdrive is the app that our library uses to loan books out. I've had it forever with no issues at all, had it on my old Nook, too. And then last night, it was just gone. I downloaded it again and am using it. No trouble. (I think Mollipop messed around with it as her way of telling me that I've been reading too much lately. 
 She has been known to climb into my lap and actually push the Nook away as she does so.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I try to read LOTR every year And have been doing so since 1976.
So, almost 40 times!!!!   Impressive.   I, on the other hand, have never read the books or watched the movies.  In fact, I have no idea what the story is about.   Are the books quick reads?  Or long and descriptive?

Edit to correct my math from 30 to 40

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fairly long and descriptive. The Rings trilogy runs over 1200 pages. And if you add The Hobbit and the Silmarillion, that adds 700 or so more.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Re LoTR....I have the 2-volume Book of Lost Tales, too. It's not an easy read; at least I didn't think so.

Roguethecat, I like the Reacher series. I've been working on them for a while now.

A lot of authors seem to be employing "co-authors". Janet Evanovich, James Patterson, Clive Cussler. I'm wondering who's doing the actual writing because, in some cases, I don't think the books are as good as they used to be.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can this thread be pinned?  It's popular and it keeps getting lost.

I'm still working on Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's Pendergast series.  The one I'm reading now is called "Two Graves" after that, there are 2 more books in the series until I'm caught up with it. Not sure if there are more planned.

After that I'll go through my list of favourite authors to see if any of them have new books out. If not, then I'll pick another series to work my way through. Either that or reread Lord of the Rings. I haven't read that one in a couple years.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Re LoTR....I have the 2-volume Book of Lost Tales, too. It's not an easy read; at least I didn't think so.

Roguethecat, I like the Reacher series. I've been working on them for a while now.

A lot of authors seem to be employing "co-authors". Janet Evanovich, James Patterson, Clive Cussler. I'm wondering who's doing the actual writing because, in some cases, I don't think the books are as good as they used to be.
I've read all of Tolkien's books.  ove them.

I love Lee Child and the Jack Reacher series.  I'm eagerly awaiting the next book. 

I'm not much of a James Patterson fan. I do like his Women's Murder Club series, but I can't get into any of his other books.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Linda, what did you think of the Preston-Child series? I really enjoyed reading them. If you like them, you might want to check out their individual books, too. They're similar to the Pendergast series and I enjoyed reading them as well. I'm eagerly awaiting the next book in the Pendergast series and I hope they continue to write. I really like them,

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Linda, what did you think of the Preston-Child series? I really enjoyed reading them. If you like them, you might want to check out their individual books, too. They're similar to the Pendergast series and I enjoyed reading them as well. I'm eagerly awaiting the next book in the Pendergast series and I hope they continue to write. I really like them,
I'm a bit on the fence.  On one hand I enjoy the stories themselves.  On the other hand, I find his writing to be rather pompous and long winded.  I pride myself on my intelligence and command of the English language, but he uses so many obscure words.  I've never had to consult a dictionary while reading a book, ever!  At least not until I read these books.  Also, I find it tiresome that he describes Pendergast's physical appearance or clothing with nearly every encounter he has with someone throughout the book. It gets really old.  

Maybe I'm noticing these things more since I'm reading the books back-to-back.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just finished "The Girl on the Train".   Next up "Still Alice".  (both e-books from the library)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm slowly working my way through the How To Train Your Dragon series. Yes, I kow it's a kid's book series
The last "adult" book I read was A Spool Of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler.

Status
Not open for further replies.