We've lost Charlie and need some advice

moirraine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To all of you who posted on this thread... http://www.thecatsite.com/t/244510/...rday-and-i-need-some-help-please#post_3225190

First off, you have all successfully alleviated my terrible guilt at the fact that two nights ago my 3 year-old baby boy Charlie had the same thing happen to him. At 6pm he was fine, at 9pm I heard a weird noise which was his lungs; they were full of water and his back legs were dead. I had no idea that this could happen so quickly and without notice and that there is nothing the vet can really do about it. I am heart-broken, but seeing how often this happens to such loving and caring kitty parents, makes me hate myself less for not somehow knowing.

But I have the same question about when to get a new friend for my Roxy and it doesn't seem to have been definitively answered here and the six vets I called randomly from the phone book today all said something different too. Has anyone actually had any experience in how long to wait? Three vets said, "tomorrow if you can" and two said "wait a year" and one said, "give her a few weeks". Great... 

She did get to see Charlie's body and saw me carry him out in his favorite cardboard box so she hasn't spent too much time looking for him. She is a little "spaced out" is how I would describe it. She has been with Charlie for 3 years and before that she had 3 other cats around her in my old apartment. I used to rescue and she was always the one to "adopt" the little ones. She has always adapted quickly to such changes, but this is the first time she has lost a close years-long companion and been left alone after and I just don't want to her to get lonely or really even have time to miss Charlie.

So... any advice? Gloria, it has been a few months since you lost your Arthur... did you get a new little friend and if so.. how did it go?

Thanks,

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very, very sorry for your loss. It must have been a terrible shock to lose Charlie so suddenly and at such a young age.

People here will probably do the same thing the vets you talked to did. Some will advise you to get another cat right away to keep Roxy company, while others will tell you to wait in order to give you and Roxy time to grieve. Probably the only thing you can do is rely on your own instincts to tell you when the time is right.

RIP, Charlie.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do remember your thread and am so sorry about your dear, sweet Charlie :rbheart: I agree with Tricia in that you do what you think is best for yourself and Roxy. Everyone will offer differing opinions on when the time is right to bring in another kitty. There are many cats who need someone like you to take them in and rescue them. You will know when that time is right. :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Fly Freely, :rbheart: Charlie :rbheart: You are missed :angel:

Last edited:

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can only echo what's been said really?.

I think if l was in your situation l would probably see how Roxy was in herself, and if she seemed ok l would get another cat/kitten,  but that's me.

RIP Charlie