Wet foods known not to be manufactured by Menu

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my - this is just moving so fast and is so scary - i can't bear to have something happen to stoli again. he got sick just around the same time frame that the recall is talking about - he got sick at the first of jan.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'm going to go with Evangers for the next little while until this mess is sorted out. Fortunately I've been wanting to go with it anyways (the Organic formulas are the closest to RAW that Buffy will get, lol), and since it's lower in cost than the Wellness I've been feeding, that just makes it better. The only disadvantage is that it's sold at a different store than I usually shop at (I buy Molly and Willow's RAW food at Tail Blazers, but the Evangers is sold only at Global Pet Foods), which doesn't really mean much, but I don't drive, only use the bus, so the fares can add up... lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

Thanks, I'm going to go with Evangers for the next little while until this mess is sorted out. Fortunately I've been wanting to go with it anyways (the Organic formulas are the closest to RAW that Buffy will get, lol), and since it's lower in cost than the Wellness I've been feeding, that just makes it better. The only disadvantage is that it's sold at a different store than I usually shop at (I buy Molly and Willow's RAW food at Tail Blazers, but the Evangers is sold only at Global Pet Foods), which doesn't really mean much, but I don't drive, only use the bus, so the fares can add up... lol
evangers is very good according to Kandie

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

What about Fancy Feast? Our three kitties split one can once a day. I've been feeding them that thinking it's safe, but I just looked and some flavors have wheat gluten, some don't. Does anybody know?

Except for Meow Mix, we don't have any of those safe brands where I live.
Originally Posted by LokisMum

None of the Fancy Feast are recalled - they are made by Purina and are not made for them by Menu Foods.
If you give the cuts and gravy varieties a miss, you'll avoid the wheat gluten, I think. My lot won't eat anything but Fancy Feast and they are particular about which varieties -- no fish, no cuts and gravy, just the pate varieties. The four I buy are Tender Beef, Beef and Liver, Liver and Chicken, Turkey and Giblets. They are all pate style, none of them have wheat gluten. So given the information we have at the moment, I'm feeling as safe as I'm gonna before the precise cause is identified and eliminated. These seem to be widely available.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I talked to my vet today and her theroy is this is not a wheat gluten problem.. as if it was a toxin it would be found by now ... she suspects the meat .... I am sure Innova is safe but right now I am sticking to Manufactured by the maker in owned plants ....
I spoke to some chemists today about this whole wheat gluten problem and they said the same thing about if it was a toxin, it would have been found within a couple of days, yet it is still inconclusive. I'm getting paranoid about anything I am feeding to my kitties even if they are wheat gluten free. I'm just freaked out!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MamaKitties

I spoke to some chemists today about this whole wheat gluten problem and they said the same thing about if it was a toxin, it would have been found within a couple of days, yet it is still inconclusive. I'm getting paranoid about anything I am feeding to my kitties even if they are wheat gluten free. I'm just freaked out!!!
For anyone who is concerned about any canned food at the moment ... Pm me and I will give some simple homemade recipes ... Note NOT raw unless u specify that

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about Fancy Feast? Our three kitties split one can once a day. I've been feeding them that thinking it's safe, but I just looked and some flavors have wheat gluten, some don't. Does anybody know?

Except for Meow Mix, we don't have any of those safe brands where I live.
You can purchase the safe foods online, and it's cheaper than purchasing in store. I buy Eagle Pack from www.petfooddirect.com. They have pulled all of the recall foods from their stock.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PetFoodExpress.com

Brands not made by Menu Foods and available for purchase are:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
Canidae/Felidae
Breeder's Choice/Pinnacle (except for Chicken and Oats formula which is made by Menu)
Castor & Pollux
Natural Balance
Solid Gold
Triumph/Evolve
Merrick
Kal Kan (Pedigree, Cesar, and Whiskas)

Brands made by Menu Foods with no recalled products, that do not contain wheat gluten, & have no reports of sick or dead pets, that are available for purchase with your informed consent are:

Nature's Variety
Wellness
Newman’s Own Organics
Wysong
Innova
They would probably know more so I think we should stick with this list for now, this only includes foods they stock so there may be more

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update ... Castor and polluck(sp)... makers of ultramix and organix do use menu foods for there cans thou currently they arent on the recall

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Imported canned foods by Addiction (which I've mentioned here in the past as options due to the unusual protein sources they use, for cats with allergies)

and Tiki Cat which uses a human canning facility.

My number one vote would be for Evangers, though.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Imported canned foods by Addiction (which I've mentioned here in the past as options due to the unusual protein sources they use, for cats with allergies)

and Tiki Cat which uses a human canning facility.

My number one vote would be for Evangers, though.
Thanks for mentioning Tiki Cat. I've seen that at my mom-and-pop pet store, maybe I'll give it a try.

heidinyny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i called triumph this morning just to be certain,,, and they too go thru menu foods but arent on the recall.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My daughter's cat has been vomitting today, so she took him to the vet. They are going to do blood workup. The vet passed info to her about Whiskas pouches, evidently they are going to be recalled. I've been using them and Friskies wet, and Nutro dry.. In the past few months my cats have had about 10 pouches of various brands from Petco and Wal-mart. I'm really watching my two cats and I hope that my daughter's cat Chester is ok. What a real mess this is.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone know about Nature's Recipe? I bought a bunch of cans at Petco yesterday. I was thinking it was one of the "safe" brands Jennifer listed, but now I don't see it on the list.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Does anyone know about Nature's Recipe? I bought a bunch of cans at Petco yesterday. I was thinking it was one of the "safe" brands Jennifer listed, but now I don't see it on the list.
Recipe is made by del monte ... so it should be safe ... i didnt put it as much of it has "?? able " s:0

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure this has been posted somewhere, but it's getting hard to filter though all the threads.

I just spoke with a couple of very nice people at Evangers Customer Service. They have assured me that they that they have their own manufacturing plants, and do not use any Menu plants. I have a local source, and hopefully they have some in stock, and I'm heading up there after work. Now I just have to cross my fingers that my fuss-budget will eat it.

She told me this is the first time in days that only one line has been ringing.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by deljo

My daughter's cat has been vomitting today, so she took him to the vet. They are going to do blood workup. The vet passed info to her about Whiskas pouches, evidently they are going to be recalled. I've been using them and Friskies wet, and Nutro dry.. In the past few months my cats have had about 10 pouches of various brands from Petco and Wal-mart. I'm really watching my two cats and I hope that my daughter's cat Chester is ok. What a real mess this is.
I just called the telephone number listed on the Whiskas pouches, they are distributed by Mars incorporated. They have a recording about the the Pet food recall, and it says that non of the foods distributed by Mars Petfoods is included in any of this. If something has changed, I wish they would change their recording. I've been feeding my cats Whiskas for quite some time.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know we've already established that Meow Mix should be ok, but just a little more confidence:

March 18, 2007
Dear Keysha,

Thanks for visiting our Meow Mix website and for your email.

We can assure you that neither Meow Mix® Wet Pouch Cat Food, nor any
other pet foods or treats made or sold by Del Monte Pet Products, are
involved in the recent pet food recall. You can continue to feed Del
Monte pet products with complete confidence.

For the latest information regarding the recall, we recommend you visit
the Food & Drug Administration website at www.fda.gov.

Carla, Del Monte Foods Consumer Affairs
[email protected]

Del Monte. Nourishing families. Enriching lives. Every Day.
I can never be too reassured, so I thought I would pass this along.