Wet Food Struggle

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So last night KeKe teased for her wet food. I put it on a ceramic plate this time and she ate about half an ounce mixed with water. At this point I will take it!
She seems to be taking to the Instinct as well-I broke up the freeze dried raw pieces and she seems to be enjoying those.
Fingers crossed this will keep up. I will update after her vet appointmen!
Great news ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So KeKe checked out great at the vet thank goodness.  They did bloodwork since her appetite is off, but that came back fine too.  She is still 15 pounds, but has not gained any weight in several months, so at least that is stable.

Her vet is researching some different diet plans.  She would like to try her on a prescription metabolic formula.  I would like to keep her on the high protein/low carb diet.  The vet's concern is that she would get such a small amount of food that she would be hungry all the time and maybe get back into some of the behavior problems we had a while back.  She also knows its going to be a little tough to find the right mix.  Her current diet is at the lowest protein amount that is safe for her, so that's not good.  Right now she is only eating about 1/2 cup (150 calories) a day of IAMS  while she has been refusing the wet.  She also isn't eating it all, so I'm not sure that a smaller amount would be so bad.  This morning I gave her 1/4 cup instinct  (about 110 calories) and just shy of a 1/4 cup Iams (about 50ish calories) to see what she does with that.  She REALLY likes the crumbled raw bites and eats them first.  When we try wet again in the future, I will use those as toppers.  She refused wet food again yesterday so I didn't push it.  The vet and I both want her on wet, but if it's dry food or no food, then we are kind of stuck.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Metabolic dry?  From what I see online it's somewhere in the high 30's for protein, but still has corn and such in it.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad the tests and vet visit went well! Just a quick thought (I know nothing about the prescription metabolic dry food, though since you say it has corn and all, I would definitely not want to feed it, particularly if a cat is supposed to lose weight!) about the existing foods.

The thought: I wonder if Keke might like eating rehydrated freeze-dried raw food? I realize it might take a bit of transition from dry freeze-dried to moistened and then rehydrated, but it sounds like the raw bits in the Instinct food are what she likes best. (Or am I just totally missing the point!? It's been known to happen! 
) Or maybe she'd be happy for an increase of the freeze-dried raw bits in her dry food? Either way, Nature's Variety sells them separately (they're complete, very decent food) plus there are other brands you could try. I think I mentioned before that our cats love Primal and Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried raw foods: Primal is the biggest part of their diet and it's very convenient. One of the best things about raw foods is that they seem to keep our cats satiated longer than canned foods.

Good luck, as always! It is not easy feeding cats!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my cats wont eat ANY wet food, but they both like raw. I ended up feeding raw because they wouldn't eat wet but would it raw. It sounds weird, but it could be the case with your cat too. I also still feed them a little high quality kibble Orijen cat & kitten and Ziwipeak air dried as a snack. 

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I picked up the new dry diet today. I'm not real enthused about it, but the vet said a lot of clients have had success with it. I figure I will give it a try and maybe it will help KeKe lose weight. If it does, then maybe I can transition her back onto something else. I'm going to keep feeding the raw bites as treats and toppers. We figured she needs less than 150 calories a day to not put on weight. Cross your fingers this will help get the pounds off!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I picked up the new dry diet today. I'm not real enthused about it, but the vet said a lot of clients have had success with it. I figure I will give it a try and maybe it will help KeKe lose weight. If it does, then maybe I can transition her back onto something else. I'm going to keep feeding the raw bites as treats and toppers. We figured she needs less than 150 calories a day to not put on weight. Cross your fingers this will help get the pounds off!
Good luck . Does she like the new food ?

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just started mixing in the new food today, but I gave her a few pieces on their own and she ate them. I also got her to eat some wet food yesterday and today-go figure! Nowhere near enough to consider a meal, but if I can get her to at least eat some a couple times a week I'll take it!

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I also got her to eat some wet food yesterday and today-go figure! Nowhere near enough to consider a meal, but if I can get her to at least eat some a couple times a week I'll take it!
That's very good about the wet food! And you never know... maybe she'll decide she likes it now that you bought that diet food!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just started mixing in the new food today, but I gave her a few pieces on their own and she ate them. I also got her to eat some wet food yesterday and today-go figure! Nowhere near enough to consider a meal, but if I can get her to at least eat some a couple times a week I'll take it!
That is good ..  At least she is trying the wet food . That is a good start ..

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@LisaHE  .  Do you buy Tiki Cat locally ?  I want to try it for my  cats but I can't find any stores ?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@LisaHE  .  Do you buy Tiki Cat locally ?  I want to try it for my  cats but I can't find any stores ?
Yes and no! I buy the "luau" chicken foods at the Dogwash in Portland, on Forest Avenue. They always have them in stock, small and large cans. I've only ordered Tiki Gourmet Carnivore from Chewy, though.

However! The Dogwash offered to order Gourmet Carnivore for me so I'm going to take them up on it when I run out. The first kinds (chicken/duck and chicken/turkey) will run out in about a month. The Dogwash also said they'd order my Nutro Natural Choice foods for me, so I'm going to try to consolidate as many foods with them as I can: they're very nice there and some of the other local stores aren't as willing/able to keep certain things in stock so I don't have to buy a case at a time.

My most local store, Paws Applause, in Scarborough, had some sort of Tiki variety packs, though I don't remember which one it was (all fish? Gourmet carnivore? I just don't remember). If you'll be in the area, you could call them to ask! Come to think of it, I think the Dogwash had some sort of variety pack, too, last time I was there. A lot of Tiki's variety packs have fish, though. I don't remember if you feed fish or not!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes and no! I buy the "luau" chicken foods at the Dogwash in Portland, on Forest Avenue. They always have them in stock, small and large cans. I've only ordered Tiki Gourmet Carnivore from Chewy, though.

However! The Dogwash offered to order Gourmet Carnivore for me so I'm going to take them up on it when I run out. The first kinds (chicken/duck and chicken/turkey) will run out in about a month. The Dogwash also said they'd order my Nutro Natural Choice foods for me, so I'm going to try to consolidate as many foods with them as I can: they're very nice there and some of the other local stores aren't as willing/able to keep certain things in stock so I don't have to buy a case at a time.

My most local store, Paws Applause, in Scarborough, had some sort of Tiki variety packs, though I don't remember which one it was (all fish? Gourmet carnivore? I just don't remember). If you'll be in the area, you could call them to ask! Come to think of it, I think the Dogwash had some sort of variety pack, too, last time I was there. A lot of Tiki's variety packs have fish, though. I don't remember if you feed fish or not!
Thank you so much .  Those stores are a little far for me so I think I will order the variety pack on Chewy.Com    I do have to stay away from fish , it makes my female kitty sick ..  They are doing so well now eating wet food I want to try some different things for them ..

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much .  Those stores are a little far for me so I think I will order the variety pack on Chewy.Com    I do have to stay away from fish , it makes my female kitty sick ..  They are doing so well now eating wet food I want to try some different things for them ..
Yes, check out the variety pack on Chewy... watch out, though, because most, if not all, their variety packs have fish. I bought the Gourmet Carnivore variety pack and am glad I did because I didn't have to buy a case of each kind of food (there are a lot!). I'll just give the fish foods to the shelter.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, check out the variety pack on Chewy... watch out, though, because most, if not all, their variety packs have fish. I bought the Gourmet Carnivore variety pack and am glad I did because I didn't have to buy a case of each kind of food (there are a lot!). I'll just give the fish foods to the shelter.
Ok , thank you . I will check out the ingredients ..  I love the fact that Tiki Cat is zero carbs . It looks like great food . I can only afford it occasionally but it will be good just to throw in the mix ..

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok , thank you . I will check out the ingredients ..  I love the fact that Tiki Cat is zero carbs . It looks like great food . I can only afford it occasionally but it will be good just to throw in the mix ..
It is very good food! The Gourmet Carnivore foods are pretty juicy so if your cats like gravy/broth, they may enjoy those. Tiki is definitely not cheap food but our pickier cat enjoys them and they're good, healthy food for their rotation. Thankfully, the cats like some cheaper healthy foods, too, to help balance out the Tiki.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It is very good food! The Gourmet Carnivore foods are pretty juicy so if your cats like gravy/broth, they may enjoy those. Tiki is definitely not cheap food but our pickier cat enjoys them and they're good, healthy food for their rotation. Thankfully, the cats like some cheaper healthy foods, too, to help balance out the Tiki.
Yeah , I was looking at Chewy.com  . It is pricey ..  It is definitely something that will be a treat only .  

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update-

KeKe has lost a pound so far on her prescription dry food!  She still will only eat canned food once or twice a week-and only a few bites.  She seems much less stressed out since we took a break from the daily wet food struggle.  I am still giving her the freeze dried raw as well which she just loves.  Hopefully this will keep working for her and then we can give the canned food another go!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just an update-

KeKe has lost a pound so far on her prescription dry food!  She still will only eat canned food once or twice a week-and only a few bites.  She seems much less stressed out since we took a break from the daily wet food struggle.  I am still giving her the freeze dried raw as well which she just loves.  Hopefully this will keep working for her and then we can give the canned food another go!
That is awesome , Congratulations .  I am glad KeKe is happy with her food and doing well ..

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job! :) it's a great feeling when you are able to help your feline friend lose weight and get healthier. Your perseverance is very commendable!