Wet Food Feeding Trials

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I definitely get super angsty about feeding the right variety. Am I feeding too many options? Not enough options? Also, I get a huge thrill feeding Olive new foods and seeing if it takes. It's less fun for the picky boys, I throw out a lot of options with them. When I worry about feeding too few flavors, I look at the cat food cabinet and feel better. Then I start to wonder if I have an obsession ...

And here I thought I was going overboard with the types of food and treats I got for my cat.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't feed my cats any dry food. But if I were to I'd definitely feed Dr. Elseye's. I'm curious to see how yours like the wet food. It's a tad too high in fat for my liking but I'd rather feed them too much fat than too many carbs.
I've been trying to convince Mizu for about a month now that wet food is her best bet but so far she's only on board with my plan about half the time. I asked for the sample mainly to try the dry, the wet was just a bonus. Tiki's Born Carnivore is the other dry food I'm considering since I can easily get it locally but Mizu gets the final decision. It's a compromise.

2BSH, I thought your pantry was a store! I wish my pantry was half that size!:noway:

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The most annoying thing at Petsmart is what they don't have. Solid Gold is listed on their website, but nowhere in the store's cat food aisle. ARGH!
Solid Gold just showed up in my local PetSmart in the last few weeks so maybe it’ll show up in yours soon.

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Solid Gold just showed up in my local PetSmart in the last few weeks so maybe it’ll show up in yours soon.
Its on Chewy, just got my first bag of kibble that I use as treats.

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The problem is I can't buy a variety pack on Chewy.
Thats true. While they accept returns for opened packs- its a waste since it cannot be used by anyone. I am kind of surprised Chewy doesn't have like a sampler collection choice. Maybe it's not worth selling or shipping those.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Chewy can only sell was the manufacturers give them. It is Solid Gold's fault people can't buy packs with one of each different flavor.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
One more day on Blue Freedom before the feeding trials begin. She has no cans left of that after tomorrow. I did buy a new bag of Blue Wilderness just to make sure all month Daisy will have something she likes but that will be for night time only. I hope it will be her last.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Round 1: Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet Turkey and Chicken Pate vs. Wellness Core Signature Selects Chicken and Chicken Liver Shredded. Daisy acted like WCSS has a more appetizing odor, going to the bowl and almost eating it several times, but had no interest in trying shredded chicken. She would have eaten it first if it was pate.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
My two get raw (either chicken/turkey/or a combo that the website I buy from sells) in the morning and canned for dinner (either Merrick rabbit or Redbarn lamb...the only two flavors that both of them will consistently eat). Before my husband comes to bed he gives them a nighttime snack of Dr. Elsey's dry food (a small amount...not even enough to cover the bottom of their dishes).

Try the Merrick rabbit! Most cats love rabbit and Merrick's is the cheapest of any canned rabbit food I have found.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Does Merrick only have one rabbit recipe?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not a fan of wet food in pouches. It belongs in cans for easy disposal

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is the Rabbit Purrfect Bistro (in a 3 or 5.5oz can) and then they have a backcountry pouch (3oz) that is rabbit. Mine love both options, but the pouches are too expensive for me to feed as anything other than a special treat.

From Chewy:

Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain-Free Rabbit Pate Canned Cat Food

Merrick Backcountry Grain-Free Morsels in Gravy Real Rabbit Recipe Cuts Cat Food Pouches, 3-oz, case of 24
I feed both of those. My cats love it!!! Great recommendation!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 239776 View attachment 239776
Oh my goodness I'm the same way. Lol. Please pay no attention to all the other unorganized crap in my pantry.
:flail:
You think THAT'S unorganized???
Lawdy lawdy you need to see ours, that has soup mixed with condiments and rice mixed with potatoes and random bottles of water and cans of beer thrown around like it's some weird version of Mardi Gras.
Last fall it was pretty much alphabetized, and now it looks like absolute crap!
Yours look fine =)

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish I did not buy Natural Balance. The one I got is soup. I poured it out as soon as I peeled its label off.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: Daisy had diarrhea after eating some Wellness Beef and Chicken today. I could see tiny solid chunks, but there were no turds. This never happened before, but because a food trial caused it she will not go to the vet. I will throw it out.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats did not do well on wellness at all. I still have a couple cases sitting in my basement that I’ve been meaning to donate to a shelter.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m prejudiced against Wellness. It’s probably entirely unfair, but it gave Trin a tummy ache so bad that he ran around and yowled. The unfairness is that the chicken in it probably caused his IBD to flair up, but since he wasn’t diagnosed at the time I thought it was the food. I felt so bad, like I’d poisoned him!

Gohan gagged at one flavor (which he gags at 50% of wet food so that’s not a huge thing) and Olive coughed weird after she at it. I think I’m paranoid, lol.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
When Daisy was a kitten she did fine on Wellness. But that was just chicken so all I can think of is the beef.