Well- we spent 2 hours today tring to catch an African Gray!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not yet... i called one of my coworkers this morning to see if they'd got him yet. They are supposed to go back this afternoon to try and catch him. (apparently they were pretty busy this morning at the shelter and didn't have time to make it out to the park.) They are supposed to set up a time with the potential owners to try and get him. I hope the bird is still there when they go!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

I am still hoping that he's okay and can be caught safely!
i didn't have a chance to call today- so when i got to work tomorrow hopefully i will find out!!!!
i hope they got him!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

what you stil have not caught that chicken yet
say it with me bruce " Parrot....P-A-R-R-O-T"...not chicken
/ all seriousness though i'm not sure if they cought him or not yet- i was busy with things here today (it's my day off) so i didn't get a chance to call and see if they had or not. When i go to work tomorrow though i will find out!! Keep your fingers crossed that they got him. He's been out on his own now for several days and there's no way he's getting the proper diet/fruits/things he needs out there right now so i hope he's ok.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

say it with me bruce " Parrot....P-A-R-R-O-T"...not chicken
/ all seriousness though i'm not sure if they cought him or not yet- i was busy with things here today (it's my day off) so i didn't get a chance to call and see if they had or not. When i go to work tomorrow though i will find out!! Keep your fingers crossed that they got him. He's been out on his own now for several days and there's no way he's getting the proper diet/fruits/things he needs out there right now so i hope he's ok.
I'm still praying they find him!!

As long as he has had sense enough to go down and get a drink he'll be fine without much to eat for several days. I'll be anxiously awaiting an update tomorrow!!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way to get a tame parrot down from a tree is to leave his regular cage with food bowls full of his favourite foods in view of the tree. If he has a companion, put his companion in a cage next to his empty cage. Do not try to climb up to get him, as he will fly higher and be more frightened. And no, owners do NOT need to clip the wings of their birds - because wing clips, if done properly, do NOT prevent a bird from flying (if they do prevent a bird from flying they can result in serious injury) - so it would not help you if he was clipped.

He is only likely to come to his 'bonded' human when called, so if you know where he is you should call them - they will have much more luck getting him to come to them than you will.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

I'm still praying they find him!!

As long as he has had sense enough to go down and get a drink he'll be fine without much to eat for several days. I'll be anxiously awaiting an update tomorrow!!
that's good to know- the firefighters left grapes on the ground for him the day i was there and there's a ton of water in the area as well as bread crumbs/etc left from visitors when they feed the ducks so i hope he'll be ok if they didn't already get him!!!!

Originally Posted by Epona

The way to get a tame parrot down from a tree is to leave his regular cage with food bowls full of his favourite foods in view of the tree. If he has a companion, put his companion in a cage next to his empty cage. Do not try to climb up to get him, as he will fly higher and be more frightened. And no, owners do NOT need to clip the wings of their birds - because wing clips, if done properly, do NOT prevent a bird from flying (if they do prevent a bird from flying they can result in serious injury) - so it would not help you if he was clipped.He is only likely to come to his 'bonded' human when called, so if you know where he is you should call them - they will have much more luck getting him to come to them than you will.
Thankyou soo much Epona!! Those are wonderful suggestions!!! If they haven't cought him tomorrow when i go to work i will tell them about the cages/mate suggestion!!!!!!! That sounds like a great idea!!! Also- sorry about the wing clipping- i didn't know you weren't supposed to until maddenmom told me it was bad (like declawing a kitty if they were to get loose!) His suspected owners were supposed to come out yesterday to see if he'd come down for them.(not sure if it happened or not). Thankyou soo much for those great ideas!!! I will defiitely mention them to my coworkers for the future and also just in case they haven't already cought him!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well when i got to work today, i asked one of my coworkers (one of the AC officers who helped me out a few days ago with the bird situation) if they wound up catching him. Unfortunately they have not.
They've gone back- 2-3 times every day since then and have had no luck. Now for the kicker- the owner is from Georgia- he was only here visiting his mom for mother's day and a little after. So since the owner had to go back home to another state- he can't stay around and try to help get him
Poor bird! If we do wind up catching him, we are taking the bird to the mother's house (at least that's the plan) and the man is supposed to come up from Georgia and get him. (we hope!) The bird supposedly got loose- he was out flying in the house just hanging out when someone opened the front door and he got out. The owner is supposed to be bringing the birds cage before he leaves for us to try and catch the bird in (thanks for the suggestions everyone!!). We're hoping that works. We will continue to try and catch him however long it takes right now. Keep your fingers crossed we can get him soon. Poor bird.