Well THAT was an interesting trip home from out of town!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

dont you know , only the rich can afford to be sick ?
Isn't that the truth
And for the record- i am not one of the rich

Originally Posted by kluchetta

Nikki...I'm sure you know - but I would hate for something to happen - lilies are VERY toxic to kitties. Just so if you have any nibblers...
Thankyou for that very important reminder
/ I am a lisenced florist/wedding planner (only working at the shelter now to save up $ for my flower shop) All plants are out of reach of the animals

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Isn't that the truth
And for the record- i am not one of the rich

Thankyou for that very important reminder
/ I am a lisenced florist/wedding planner (only working at the shelter now to save up $ for my flower shop) All plants are out of reach of the animals
Doh! I knew that, sorry. Just one of our Christmas cards this year had such a sad story about the peoples kitty died of eating a lily, and they couldn't bear to send a photo that year because they always included the kitty in the photo.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Doh! I knew that, sorry. Just one of our Christmas cards this year had such a sad story about the peoples kitty died of eating a lily, and they couldn't bear to send a photo that year because they always included the kitty in the photo.
No problem!!! I'm glad you said something- maybe someone reading this thread will learn that and it might potentially keep an animal safe
/ I am soo sorry to hear about your friends kitty
That is soo sad

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, that's awful
I'm glad you're feeling better. I've had painful GI problems years ago and had to have a lower GI done. Drinking barium is horrible.

With all the medication and antibiotics have you considered eating some yogurt? It shouldn't be too rough on your stomach and if the antibiotics are/were strong it will help keep them from stripping your digestive tract completely.

Good luck on Monday.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Oh dear, that's awful
I'm glad you're feeling better. I've had painful GI problems years ago and had to have a lower GI done. Drinking barium is horrible.

With all the medication and antibiotics have you considered eating some yogurt? It shouldn't be too rough on your stomach and if the antibiotics are/were strong it will help keep them from stripping your digestive tract completely.

Good luck on Monday.
I'm not supposed to have any diary or yogurt because of the medicine the original nurse practicioner put me on back on wednesday- the er docs said it would take a few days for it to leave my system so not to have any diary or yogurt until then because it could make it worse. So i have to wait till next week before i can have any even though i'm no longer taking those two antibiotics. / The ER gave me a different IV yesterday with a differnt antibiotic as well as fluids and i have 2 prescriptions - one for potassium and one for the severe cramping/colitis issues. I agree though- i'm missing my yogurt!! I always eat the Yo Baby vanilla and banana ones -(they're designed for infants, so they're really easy on my stomach since i have GI issues and they're healthy.) / I have started hurting a little bit again since earlier so i'm hoping it goes away soon
I just want to be done with being sick you know. I'm 21 i should be out working/living- not home on bed rest

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm not supposed to have any diary or yogurt because of the medicine the original nurse practicioner put me on back on wednesday
Oh, ok. I was just suggesting it for the probotic properties.
You can actually get separate probotics, but you might want to run that by your doctor if you consider it.

I just want to be done with being sick you know. I'm 21 i should be out working/living- not home on bed rest
I didn't get to enjoy my teen years due to pain, migraines, and GI problems. So yeah, I know it's frustrating feeling like you're being forced to stay at home cause you're sick.
And you're younger than me!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, ok. I was just suggesting it for the probotic properties.
You can actually get separate probotics, but you might want to run that by your doctor if you consider it.

I didn't get to enjoy my teen years due to pain, migraines, and GI problems. So yeah, I know it's frustrating feeling like you're being forced to stay at home cause you're sick.
And you're younger than me!
Definitely frusterating. I also haven't felt like doing any housekeeping eithor (i'm not supposed to, i'm supposed to be on bed rest) but i've been trying to just do a few things here and there. / When i go to my GI doctor on Monday, i'll ask him about your suggestion. Thanks!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So sorry that you had to go through all of this in a car ride. That's just the worst. Cramps are always worse when you can't move around and when you have to wear a seat belt.

The only advice i can give is what advice my doctor gave me when I returned from Cuba with a wierd stomach/colon bug. Only eat bland food for awhile, even after you think that you're better. Plain rice, baked potatoe, chicken or white fish, egg white omelet or boiled. She said, sometimes you start to feel better, and then irritate your sensitive intestines with spicy, rich food and it all re-occurs again.

I've found whenever I travel, even if it's just out of province or to the US, I experience a bit of digestion unrest. Your body has to get used to the new bacteria that's in the food and water sources. Supposedly, north americans suffer the most when travelling anywhere as our food and water is so clean! We haven't built up any anti-bodies to minor bacteria that is normally present.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GURRRRRRR! As if things couldn't get any worse this week! I now have Thrush in my mouth!
Sorry to complaine- but this is just rediculious! The antibiotics the origional NP gave me on Wednesday have given me thrush! I'm beyond ticked off
Even though i haven't had them since Friday, i now have thrush and have to deal with that. I had to put in a call to my doctor today at home and he was kind enough to call in a mouth rinse for me. (i've used it before- it works soooooo well) so hopefully since i cought it early, it should be gone soon. I just can't take anything else health wise right now- i want to be better and get back to work- not have one health issue after another. I'm hoping this goes away soon. I just started the mouth rinse for it. Thanks for letting me rant everyone- i'm beyond annoyed at the moment.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I hope you get better really soon Nikki.
Thanks hon
I needed that. I am completly miserable at the moment. Wouldn't you know, as soon as i was starting to feel the least bit better- i'd get thrush
I'm hoping this and the other symptoms go away soon so i can get back to work and fostering. I am supposed to be on bed rest until tuesday - but i've been breaking the rules because i can't stand to have a dirty house
last night i vaccumed the entire house (i had to take breaks like every 5 minutes to lay down
) / The cramping and stomach upset do seem to be a bit better today though so that is positive. I just wish i didn't now have thrush to deal with. I'm going to need a good stiff drink by the time this is all over and done with
My mouth feels soo gross right now.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Now, now, darlin - don't get yourself too tired doing all of that housework.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw - I remember when you had thrush before. What a terrible pain - I'm sorry. Did your doctor ever talk about taking acidophilous? My doctor told me to do that when taking antibiotics, but I've never tried it..

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Now, now, darlin - don't get yourself too tired doing all of that housework.
I took breaks while i was vaccuming. (I had to take a break every 5 or so minutes because i would just get soo exhausted) but with all of our furbabies- we definitely neeed to vaccume. I always feel better the cleaner our place is- so maybe that'll help
I've been worn out all day though so i won't be doing anything else like that till i get more energy. They said it could take a while to get my potassium levels back to normal.

Aw - I remember when you had thrush before. What a terrible pain - I'm sorry. Did your doctor ever talk about taking acidophilous? My doctor told me to do that when taking antibiotics, but I've never tried it..
Yup- i got it a few months ago- I cought ringworm from my foster kittens and my dermatologist gave me "Gruffilcan" (sp?) to take for it. Well, that medicine gave me thrush as well as a nasty stomach ache...so my doctor took me off of it and gave me this swish and swallow type mouthwash that cleared it up pretty quickly. I recently had allergy testing done back on the 7th and while i don't have a physical (hives etc) allergy to yeast, they think i have a chemical one- so i get thrush really easily - especially if i've been taking an antibiotic. Thankfully this time, i cought it very early, so i have my mouthwash now and it will hopefully clear that up soon. It's called "Nystatin"- and it really works well to clear it up. I'm sooooo greatfull i have a wonderful doctor who actually answers his calls on the weekend- he called it in for me today.
/ It's just sooooooo frusterating because i've been sick as a dog all week and this was the last thing i needed....not to mention, money wise- all of those medicines and medical bills from insurance are not going to be pretty.
/ I have never heard of acidophilous. What is that??? I have to go to my GI doctor tomorrow for a follow up appointment since i was in the hospital on friday. He wants to check my blood count and potassium levels. I will ask him about that while i'm there because it would be nice to have something that could help prevent thrush in the future. Thankyou for telling me about it!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have never heard of acidophilous. What is that???
It's the active good bacteria found in yogurt, a probiotic. It's what I was suggesting you ask your GI doc about.

With all of the antibiotics in your system it may help some. I do believe you can just get the acidophilous from anywhere that sells diet supplements and vitamins.
It's also added to some pet foods, I have a liquid acidophilous that I give too my lizards too!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's the active good bacteria found in yogurt, a probiotic. It's what I was suggesting you ask your GI doc about.

With all of the antibiotics in your system it may help some. I do believe you can just get the acidophilous from anywhere that sells diet supplements and vitamins.
It's also added to some pet foods, I have a liquid acidophilous that I give too my lizards too!
Oh well that explains it. Thankyou!
/ I was holding off on eating anything yogurt wise because i was origionally put on cipro and flagel (the generics of both) and the phamplets that came with them from Walgreens advised not to have diary (yogurt included) with it because of the bacteria in the meds. (I'm not sure why
) So since i had a few doses of that i was holding off on having any yogurt/dairy until it had been a few days to get it all out of my system. When i go to my GI doctor tomrorow though- i'll ask if it's ok to go ahead and start eating some yogurt now that my medicines have been switched. I don't know what to do. I normally eat 1-2 Yo Baby vanilla or banana yogurts every day just because i love them sooooooooo much but i hadn't had any since the meds just to be safe. I'll ask about that tomorrow.
If i can do that and help reduce the Thrush- that would be good. But since the origional medicines are still in my system, i don't want to chance getting worse right now.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh well that explains it. Thankyou!
/ I was holding off on eating anything yogurt wise because i was origionally put on cipro and flagel (the generics of both) and the phamplets that came with them from Walgreens advised not to have diary (yogurt included) with it because of the bacteria in the meds. (I'm not sure why
) So since i had a few doses of that i was holding off on having any yogurt/dairy until it had been a few days to get it all out of my system. When i go to my GI doctor tomrorow though- i'll ask if it's ok to go ahead and start eating some yogurt now that my medicines have been switched. I don't know what to do. I normally eat 1-2 Yo Baby vanilla or banana yogurts every day just because i love them sooooooooo much but i hadn't had any since the meds just to be safe. I'll ask about that tomorrow.
If i can do that and help reduce the Thrush- that would be good. But since the origional medicines are still in my system, i don't want to chance getting worse right now.
I believe dairy can make some antibiotics ineffective. I've given Elsa acidophilous when she had her bowel surgery cause she couldn't eat more than a baby spoon of food every couple of hours.