Well all we have some news!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Jason and Tara please don't take our concern the wrong way. We are all so excited about the baby we just have a deep concern for your kitties too!

Just think about it this way, by time the baby comes around, the cats will have adjusted to everything and be a lot calmer as they get older - hopefully, as will Bootland!

I hope that everything works out for the best, and you don't have to end up getting rid of the pets!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with Yosemite

I personally wouldnt get rid of the cat but the dog.. but thats just me...
I mean i know the dog is cute and all but its still a puppy and it will need much more attention than the cats

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CONGRATES

I too agree with Yosemite... The pup just arrived the cats have been around...

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had 5 cats when Kevin arrived. One we had to put down for her own health reasons about 5 months later. Other then that the kid and the cats get along well. When they (the cats) get overwelmed by Kevin they just leave the room. They are his most favourite thing in the whole wide world next to cars and I can't even picture his life without them (him chasing them to hug and kiss, them just staying out of reach until they "give up" and let him get them, him giggling hysterically over things they do) - they are built in entertainment for each other.

I won't tell you what to decide, but my experience is wonderful You will decide what is best for your family.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tara and Jason,

I understand the concern with the baby arriving, but I think you are looking at this the wrong way. You are thinking the baby and all the animals(
) will be too much, but the way I see it, by the time the baby arrives the kitties will be pretty much adults and the puppy will have learned the rules of the house. I think your little bundle of joy will love having the animals around, it will probably stimulate his/her learning one way or another
The puppy might be the only concern, but as I said he will probably pipe down by then. Raising your child around animals will be a great learning experience for everyone
And what child does'nt love having a dog and/or a cat around? I know I BEGGED for months and months for Ms. Chichi-- so by already having pets thats one less thing for them to beg for

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats Tara & Jason! I know that a puppy, cats, & a new baby can seem like a handful, but I think you can do it! I've got a cousin who has a Jack Russell, herding mix dog, & 7 cats. She just had a baby boy about 12 months ago. The cats loved to watch the "naked cat" as she calls it & the dogs liked to try to catch everything baby dropped/threw. She had no trouble. There are so many people who do so well with all kinds of kids(2 & 4 legged). Don't do anything you will regret. It might seem like a lot, but you will never know if you give them up. You really should give them a chance. Who knows? Maybe one of the cats will learn to change a diaper?

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats! I wish you all the best embarking on this wonderful life long adventure. I am sure you will both be great parents and I wish you all the fulfillment in the world. Ihope you decide to keep your cats as they will be great exprience for your child in teaching them to be gentle, patient, and kind. Pets are a great lesson for any child you really can do it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Jason and Tara please don't take our concern the wrong way. We are all so excited about the baby we just have a deep concern for your kitties too!
I agree....you two seem like really great people, but after getting the dog and with a new baby coming along, my first thought is why two cats? are you not particularly fond of two of the cats?
I think it would be difficult for me to ever give up our cats, even if I got pregnant. I know I would go crazy, but nevertheless, you guys are young and still have all the energy in the world!

In the end though I'll (as I'm sure the rest of us) will respect whatever decision you two make about the cats.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am really excited for you guys - but me personally I don't see giving up cats for a baby. Give me cats over children anyday. I sort of thought you were joking?

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on the baby.
I read your post this morning about getting rid of the cats, found myself a bit frustrated, then came back after lunch and found that a majority of what I was thinking has all ready been said.
We can't make any decisions for you. As someone else has said, taking on a pet is a commitment that you take on for the life of the pet. I understand that you may not have had a baby planned, but the unexpected has to be taken into consideration. If you do feel that you need to rehome your cats then I hope and pray you are able to find a good home for them. I just hope that in the future the decisions that you make that affect lives other than your own are carefully thought out and aren't made spur of the moment. Just because you feel that a puppy is cute doesn't mean it's the best decision to bring one home right away. I hope all of this makes sense. I realize that you are probably frustrated and upset with some of the posts here, but I think that once you have some time to think things through you will understand where we are coming from. The decisions you make really do have consequences and can impact everyone around you. That never changes.

amandaofcols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
CONGRATS GUYS!!

I'm tellin' ya'll. all you pregnant folk or just unpregnafied (love my new word huh) need to come over here a rub some of those baby-makin' germs off on me!!

Anywho, I wish you guys all the best in everything!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarajason

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well...we just got back from the doctor and motherhood maternity!

It's definatly for sure that we are going to have a baby and our due date is December 3rd!! We are so excited. Bad news is, I went to go put on some jeans today and I couldn't button them. I only have a pair of black dress pants that I can just slip right into...how awful??? I got very depressed but oh well.

As far as pets go...Jason and I are waiting it out. It's not healthy for me to be around cats according to the doctor and it's not healthy for the baby, plus Jason and I have yet to get them spayed and neutered and with a new baby on the way, we just can't afford it...and with having two males and two females, babies will be on the way and they can't have that, so why not have someone get them the surgery they need and the love and attention. we have no time to play with them and we just feel horrible. We feel like we are neglecting them, we should have realized this before hand. I'm not saying we are for sure getting rid of the cats but IF we do, they will be in a great home. The room we have now is going to have to be the nursery, and we can't just leave a litter box out, so we have a lot to take into consideration. I'm really sorry if we upset any of you, but there's just a lot we have on our hands right now. We still love you all though! and don't want any of you guys to be upset with us. !!!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tara, it sounds as if you and Jason have made up your mind. We do not want to convince you to keep your cats if you don't want them and don't feel that you are able to properly care for them. I think at this point all we can ask is that you guys do your very best to find them good homes. I know that you have a lot on your hands right now, but it is very hard for us to understand the decision to get a puppy with all of this going on..... Puppies defiantely can be more time consuming than cats. It sounds like you are viewing the cats as disposable, and they aren't.... In any case if you need any help on how to find homes for the kittens at some point I know there are many people here who can offer suggestions and ideas. You might want to do a search on the forums because it has been discussed before.
Good luck to both of you guys, and congrats again on the new baby.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey, you need a new Doc if yours is still hooked on the tired old idea that cats are unhealthy for you to be around. I mean, not just because I'm a cat lover, but I wouldn't want someone not totally up to snuff on new medical ideas working on me and especially not on my baby!

I really hope it works out for you and your family, 2 legged and 4 legged
It's a rally exciting time, but I can't even begin to imagine how anxious you guys must be with all of this news!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, your doctor is an idiot. There are no great risks to you or the baby by being around cats. That's an old wive's tale. IF your cats carry the toxoplasmosis virus, you've probably already been exposed to it and developed an immunity to it that will be passed on to the baby. If you, by some odd chance, haven't been exposed to it and they do carry it, don't eat cat poo and you'll be fine. That is how it is spread, by ingesting contaminated fecal matter - if you have to scoop litter, wear gloves and/or wash your hands thoroughly before eating anything. It has also been proven that children who grow up with animals are less likely to develop allergies and asthma than those without animals in their lives. Yes, you would have to find a place for the litterboxes where Jr. can't get to them - but you need to do that sooner than that because the puppy will be much more interested in the litterboxes than a baby will be.

If you can't afford to spay and neuter your cats, you're probably right - they would be better off in a responsible home that will get them spayed and neutered, especially with 2 boys and 2 girls. It won't be just 4 cats for long. If you are interested, here are some low-cost spay/neuter resources: http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#mi

I have to ask...if you don't have time for the cats, do you have time to train that puppy? Dogs are a lot more time consuming and require a lot more individual attention than cats.

I'm not advocating getting rid of your animals - you did make the committment to them when you adopted them. And I don't take that committment lightly. But if you can't properly care for them, then it would be better for them to be elsewhere. I just think those circumstances, like spaying and neutering 4 animals, should have been considered before they came into your home and developed a bond with you. I makes me very sad and honestly upset as an animal welfare advocate that within hours of finding out that you are expecting a baby they became quite disposable.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

First, your doctor is an idiot. There are no great risks to you or the baby by being around cats. That's an old wive's tale. IF your cats carry the toxoplasmosis virus, you've probably already been exposed to it and developed an immunity to it that will be passed on to the baby. If you, by some odd chance, haven't been exposed to it and they do carry it, don't eat cat poo and you'll be fine. That is how it is spread, by ingesting contaminated fecal matter - if you have to scoop litter, wear gloves and/or wash your hands thoroughly before eating anything. It has also been proven that children who grow up with animals are less likely to develop allergies and asthma than those without animals in their lives. Yes, you would have to find a place for the litterboxes where Jr. can't get to them - but you need to do that sooner than that because the puppy will be much more interested in the litterboxes than a baby will be.

If you can't afford to spay and neuter your cats, you're probably right - they would be better off in a responsible home that will get them spayed and neutered, especially with 2 boys and 2 girls. It won't be just 4 cats for long. If you are interested, here are some low-cost spay/neuter resources: http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#mi

I have to ask...if you don't have time for the cats, do you have time to train that puppy? Dogs are a lot more time consuming and require a lot more individual attention than cats.

I'm not advocating getting rid of your animals - you did make the committment to them when you adopted them. And I don't take that committment lightly. But if you can't properly care for them, then it would be better for them to be elsewhere. I just think those circumstances, like spaying and neutering 4 animals, should have been considered before they came into your home and developed a bond with you. I makes me very sad and honestly upset as an animal welfare advocate that within hours of finding out that you are expecting a baby they became quite disposable.
I was very surprised to see that you're even considering it...

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The point is she is still 18 and he is 21.

Of course they are mature for their age, but they still arent quite there yet.
They would need alot of help and from what i have read their parents dont take part alot of their lives.

And at this age... I dont know anyone who makes a great deal of money.

I am sorry usually age factor doesnt matter, i am very happy that you are having a baby, but as soon as i read that your doctor said it was unhealthy to be around cats.... Its actually unhealthier to be around dogs because they eat everything! stick their noses into things they shouldnt and constantly need a bath...
and by the way... the dog will need to get neutered too and thats much more expensive than the cat.

I will stop posting here.
I am sorry if i sounded rude but i am not much older than you Tara so i simply just dont understand.

All the Best.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I haven't read this whole thread, but if you are considering rehoming your cats for their sake, then I think you are doing the right thing. If you feel that you won't have time to care for them properly when you have the bub, then that is fair enough I suppose. It's going to be hard on them to separate them from each other, but I guess you've thought of that. You'll certainly end up with more than four if you don't get them spayed, anyway.

As for your puppy - perhaps you're not too sure, but puppies take up ALL of your time - it's like having a kid. I sure hope that this little dog doesn't get relegated to out the back by itself all the time once you have the bub, because dogs are much more dangerous for babies than cats are. I also hope you take the time to train it properly, because if you don't then I can definitely see the dog being neglected once the baby comes along, because you can't control it around the baby.

If you are rehoming, I would rehome the pup before anything else, and before you get too attached to it, and before it gets too attached to you. Trust me, dog training is my business, and I can really see the way this is going to go for this dog.

As you say, you should have realised all this before, but you didn't, and that's ok. You're young and you're realising now. If you think the cats will honestly be happier in a different home, then you're doing the right thing, and I'm sure you're not horrible people. I would also consider the same for this puppy, truly.

Oh, and that doctor? Moron, complete moron. Lives in the Dark Ages. And I'm not just saying that. I have worked for doctors almost my entire adult life and what yours told you is simply NOT TRUE.

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

If you are rehoming, I would rehome the pup before anything else, and before you get too attached to it, and before it gets too attached to you.
I absolutely agree with this. You've had the puppy a few days but the cats for months? I am so sorry you have been put in the position where you have to make this decision but I am personally shocked and upset about how easily you seem to be able to say 'we'll just have to rehome the cats'. If I am reading it wrong then correct me, as it's easy to misread something when you can't see a persons face.
If you don't have the time just now to play with the cats then you most certainly won't when you have a baby. I just don't understand why you got 4 cats if this was going to be the case, without even planning on having a baby. Getting an animal is something that needs to be thought through and slept on for a great deal of time and not a rash decision.
Who's going to train and walk the pup when theres a baby around?
I think you are lovely people, don't get me wrong I have enjoyed you being around so far but you shocked me with this.
I said it before but never got an answer, were you planning on having children in the future? What were you going to do about the cats then?
I'm going to stop ranting on because I could be here all day. I think, personally, it's best you do rehome your cats and the sooner the better before they have litters you can't care for, no matter how 'cute' they are.
Also my Mum had 5 cats, a dog and a 2 year old while she was pregnant with me. As long as you keep away from the litter you will be fine.
All the best.

EDIT: Just a thought. You obviously need to get all 4 cats speutered and this can be expensive for so many. Why don't you just get the girls spayed one month and the boys the following month, or vice versa. At least that way you're not shelling out for all of them in one go, it will soften the blow. Jason has money for a digital camera so there must be money for this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.