Weird Or Normal Mother Cat Behaviour

Fostermum97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am currently fostering a cat, Sia, who gave birth to 4 live kittens yesterday. They all seem to be doing well with feeding and currently weigh between 120 and 130 grams. What I've found though is that Sia on occasion likes to feed them individually. Like she'll remove one from the group and go feed it somewhere else, and then eventually she either brings them all over to where she is, or she brings back the one she just fed. It doesn't seem to be just one she is doing this with, as I've seen her doing it with 3 out of 4 cats so far.
Is this normal, or should I be worried?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think the bottom line is as long as they are all healthy and gaining weight. You should be weighing them constantly to be sure of this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fostermum97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I weighed them when they were first born yesterday, and today as well, and have gained around 10 grams.

Fostermum97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, another question. Kittens are all doing fine at the moment, but Sia didn't do a poo yesterday or so far today. Her last 2 poo's were pretty gross (they were a couple of hours apart), but I just assumed it was 'post-birth' poops. All day today she has been meowing at me, she scratched like crazy at the litter tray, but didn't do anything. Right now she has settled, but 5 minutes ago she wouldn't shut up. She usually stops when I give her attention, or when she lays down with her babies. I don't know if she just wants attention or if maybe shes blocked up or something??

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say gross, do you mean diarrhea? It might take a few days for a normal, formed stool

Fostermum97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you say gross, do you mean diarrhea? It might take a few days for a normal, formed stool
Yep, the colour was fine, but it was not formed. I figured it was normal for a new mum, it was just the lack of poop today, plus the meowing and scratching at the litter tray that I was concerned about.

Fostermum97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi sorry for no reply earlier, I've been very busy
For an update, the babies are just over 2 weeks old, they've all opened their eyes and all have reached over 300 grams (sometimes I'm unable to weigh them the same time every day because of shift work, but I always try to do it after a feed and a poo). Sia only poops every second day, but when she does they are nice and solid without being too hard, and a good colour. I am a tad worried about only going every second day, but she doesn't seem to be in any distress. She is good at taking care of her babies, she eats a really nice amount of food for a mother cat and drinks plenty of water, and will let me handle the babies to weigh them. She was a stray beforehand, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she is doing well! Are the babies each gaining at least 6-10g per day?

jenmunoz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We also have 3 boys and a girl. we have an all black boy named Midnight. two black and white boys named Oreo and Cookies and Cream. and on girl tiger striped named Princess.

Fostermum97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alrighty, another question hahaha
The kittens will hit the four week mark tomorrow. So far I think all of them will sip at the water bowl occasionally, but only one (Bruno) will eat some solid food. I have a mother and kitten wet and dry food, it's the Royal Canin one. He isn't interested in the wet food yet, but has eaten some moistened (almost mush) dry food. Mumma cat is feeding them well, and is eating well too.
How can I get the other ones interested in eating too? I've tried putting a little on my finger and putting it up to their noses, but they really don't care haha

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's early; they might just not be ready yet. Give them another week :)

Fostermum97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so now they’re almost 7 weeks old. 3 out of 4 are eating solids. Whitney has no interest in eating any food. The food is a mousse, I’ve tried mixing it with water to liquify it more, I’ve added a small amount of cat milk, I’ve heated it up, nothing interests her. At most mealtimes I put some on her mouth and she’ll lick it off, but more so because it’s annoying her. She is feeding well from mum, and she drinks water, and pees in the kitty litter.
What else can I do??
Also, we have another mother cat, and her babies are about 10-11 weeks and are pretty much completely weaned, though time to time they have a quick feed if Mum will let them. Now she isn’t feeding as much, her nipples are pretty much back to normal size, her tummy isn’t hanging low, but she is still big from her sides. Is this normal? I don’t think she’s pregnant, I can’t see or feel any movement, plus we haven’t let her go outside since we took over her care about 8 weeks ago, and I’m pretty sure the people caring for her before us didn’t let her out either, but I can’t be 100% sure.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
How is Whitney's weight?

Fostermum97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven’t weighed them in a little bit because they don’t sit still long enough haha, but I just managed to weigh her and she is 730 grams.

Fostermum97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I was just deworming then, and I noticed on her that she has a bit of a lump on her belly. It’s soft, and not noticeable. I’ve only just noticed cause I had to hold her in a really odd position to get her to swallow her tablet. Could this be related to the not eating? She’s still feeding from Mum so I don’t think it is, but I could be wrong.