Weird human food enjoyed by Cats

heatherita510

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
martini eats everything and i mean EVERYTHING. the other day i was having some tostitos with the tostito queso dip.. at one point i looked away and when i looked back martini's head was in the bag (she ran off with a chip)... a few mins later she came back and put her head in the dip and had some of that! she's also been known to steal french fries, knock mac and cheese off my fork (she wanted some one time and i wouldnt give her any, so my fork was almost at my mouth and at the last moment martini swatted the mac and cheese off the fork).... she's not good with strangers, but if you have food, she will be on your lap and in your plate! she'll be sound asleep but the minute she hears the fridge she comes running. i try not to give her food, shes just persistent (and sneaky!)

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
patchy LOVES mcchicken sandwiches from mcdonalds. my mom was eating one and patchy came out of NOWHERE, leapt and stole it out of moms hand when she was taking a bite. she bit her finger LOL i wish id had a video camera!!!! mom was totally bewildered; she didnt know what had happened hahahahaha. patchy was over in the floor eating it

as for chloe, she LOOOOOOVES subway. i used to work there and everything including the house will smell like subway. the laundry even after you wash it (even what you wash your subway clothes with smells like subway) smells like it and chloe would lay in the basket like she was high. id bring her little subs just for her and she would be so thrilled. she was so depressed when i quit.

a few weeks ago i got some boxes from there to put some stuff in storage and she went NUTS. she jumped in the boxes and her eyes were glazed over and her pupils were dilated. when patchy came near them, she'd slap her (very unlike chloe) i think my cat needs to go to rehab for subway

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maisie is ultra fussy but she does like crisps

Kitty is a pig but doesn`t eat anything unusual however one of my sisters cats is really odd in so many ways but she likes curry, sweetcorn, cabbage, bubbles from the washing up (to eat not play with).

My sister found her in the middle of a road as a kitten and she`d been hit by a car and had a head injury. I think that`s why she`s such a fruit-loop

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sox will eat anything I put in front of her! Mac & cheese, ice cream, vegetables, chinese food, drink of some iced tea anything! She is so funny! She ate some pieces of a green pepper the other day.
Wesley is more picky. He will only eat like tuna and stuff. If I put anything else other then that or his cat food he looks disgusted and turns his nose up at it, then Sox will come over and eat it instead!

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
chloe LOVES eclairs (i dont let her have the chocolate), she really likes string cheese, black olives but im not sure if she likes to eat them or play with them and strawberries. she tries to steal them and she tries to lick my mouth while im eating them

alla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Willow is not very adventurous.  She'll only sniff at the stuff I give her then walk away.  But I do notice that when she think's I'm not looking she'll nibble a little on it.  My sneaky little girl

Last edited:

kittymommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A cat I used to have when I first joined here named Lil (but he was a boy (long story)) loved all kinds of food.  Lil was my baby from 2 days old on.  He liked Doritos and Neosporin and Cantaloupe and Cheetos.  I believe he thought he was a human.  :)

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Camelot fancies nuts, particularly cashews. If he sees them, he wants them. Not that he is allowed to have them

For Morgana, she loves potato chips. If I have a bowl with me she will try to steal them, using her paw to try and scoop a bunch. If a bag is nearby and it is open, she will wiggle her way in. It can be any chips, regular, all dressed, barbecue etc

She also has a taste for vodka
  ,either as is or if it is in cocktail. Not only is it not great because of health reasons, but I also don't want to win most horrible cat mom of the year because she becomes drunk then gets herself a DUI or something!
 haha

Both of them equally love salami and proscuitto. And ice cream.

Rest assured that I defintely keep tabs on those foods and drink! Nuts and alcohol not allowed, salami/proscuitto on the odd occasion and not very much of it (And no bits with pepper). Morgana will sometimes get a small chip, which I know isn't helping the situation. Me = Spolier. Those things are quite salty for cats nevertheless, and have to be easy on it. Ice cream of course, is also quite limited!

sarahgalore1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Genie never used to be bothered by human food, apart from Horlicks - cold,hot, unmixed powder - all of it! Now she loves parmesan, curry, and in particular a chicken dish that I make with olives, lemon juice, celery, garlic, stock and sundried tomatoes. And as for the wrapper of valerian herbal teabags...its like she's practically stoned! She's not bothered about catnip at all, but the valerian, she adores! I'm trying not to give her anything now though, or lick any plates as I'm having a problem with what I think is redirected aggression, and I'm trying to eliminate any factors.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Autumn doesn't care for people food at all.  Is that weird, she loves her dry food and she gets canned food once a week, she is happy with that.  Even if I put food on my fingers she will just smell the food and walk away.  With that said, she is still a fatty.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a new cat owner, I'm sort of blown away reading this thread. So many things know/thought to be toxic to cats are being fed to them off the table. All things in moderation, I guess.

Oliver likes lunch meat. We used that as his treats the first couple of weeks he was here. He doesn't get that anymore, though. That's the extent to his intentional human food consumption. 

He did get into some loaded smashed potatoes I made once. I got up to refill my tea and he jumped up on the dinner table and helped himself. He seemed to like that, but a quick end came to his tasting. It had garlic and onion powder in it. I kept a close eye but figured he'd be fine considering he only got a little bite and thus the amount of the powders would be tiny. He didn't seem to have a reaction.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't like people food either, they LOVE their dry, lick the gravy off of the fera'ls food every morning, and drink out of anything put down. But my Burt does have ONE weakness, when my husband eats potato chips he will actually try to take them out of his mouth! He LOVES them!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Speedboat would sit at our feet and catch pieces of popcorn we tossed at him.:lol3:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought avocado was toxic to cats? I know it is to birds because their livers can't handle it.

Radar loves yoghurt, ice cream, and for some reason likes to steal brocolli.
It is. So is chocolate, onions, garlic, vets also say stay away from nuts, etc..

There are a whole list of foods that are dangerous to cats. I don't have the link right now, but you can find the list on WebMD for pets.

Everyone should have a copy of the list, for the safety of your cats. 

Angel likes sweet potato. (W/ a little butter of course.)  When I make one, I always save a little bite for him. 

peppermintplant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh man, of my current cats, Sparrow is the only one who is super into human food and I have to be very careful what I give her because of her IBD. So she can have a tiny bit of meat or the occasional pea, but she can't have any of the stuff she really wants (ice cream, yogurt, cheese, etc.)

But I had a cat named Ditto as a kid, who started out as one of my parents' barn cats and came inside after she was hit by a car. She LOVED people food. Her favorites were Cheetos, barbecue potato chips and any flavor of ice cream, but despite barely being able to jump or climb because she had crushed her pelvis, if my dad left butter on the kitchen counter, she would get up there somehow and eat it. And we had to watch her, or she'd eat things that were really bad for her - I caught her drinking fruit punch once, and she stole half a turkey sandwich with mayo from my sister another time.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bob goes bonkers for Chik-Fil-A chicken. You'd think she wouldn't like the breading and spices, but she loves it. And also fried pork chops. Frannie likes potato chips of all types and the spray cheese stuff on cheese popcorn and Doritos.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat DeeJay LOVES most human foods.  Her favorite is lettuce (romaine), she goes nuts for it, paws at me and will steal it if she's sitting in my lap while I'm eating a salad. 

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Maia has to atleast get a good sniff and good look at everything I eat in front of her, or I am Antoinetteing her and  'OFF WITH MY HEAD!'

Her favorite is chicken, if its Spanish chicken with rice and beans, lemon chicken,oven roasted chicken, even if it's Chinese chicken and broccoli.... So embarrassing but I clean off any extra sauce in my mouth before I give it to her, she likes it this way! I am such a freaky cat lady! Actually I'm just a lady with a freaky cat