Weightloss update

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

...bowling! still suck at it, but not because of my weight... i'm just not that good!
Yes! Yes, exactly -- whether I succeed or fail, let it happen because of ME, not because of my weight!

And Laureen, you do THEATRE? That's amazing! I can't imagine having that much energy. You're an inspiration!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carol, I'm so incredibly proud of you!!! You go girl!!! I knew you'd do it! That's so wonderful about your diabetes medication! That right there, makes it all worth while, doesn't it?

Between this and your PM, I'm going to be smiling all day!

~~Hugs~~

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheesh. How could I fail, with this kind of moral support? Thanks, guys.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

And Laureen, you do THEATRE? That's amazing! I can't imagine having that much energy. You're an inspiration!
i've actually been doing theatre since 1999.
i've been on stage in over 30 different shows, & worked crew for 3 others... gonna be working crew for this next one, too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Carol that's so fantastic!!! I was wondering how it was going. My co-worker will be having the lap band surgery in the next year because she has some conditions that make her gain weight. Her doctor's said she's not quite heavy enough for it by 'normal' standards, but it's necessary because of the other conditions. I'll have to tell her how great your doing! (She's nervous about it, which I would be too!, and I think your story will really encourage her!)

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mooch, is she nervous about the surgery, or about the lifestyle change? Lifestyle is something you just have to think through for yourself, I guess, and certainly I pondered it for a few months. I thought I would feel I had entirely lost one of life's great pleasures -- good food -- but that's not the case, and the adjustment is not nearly so bad as I imagined.

If it's the surgery itself that worries her, please tell her to do her research and take time to find a surgeon she has real confidence in. I wouldn't choose a doctor whose advertising has made him a local celebrity, but one who has a long track record with an extremely low mortality rate... one who either has no malpractice suits or has defended himself against them convincingly... one who does not charge for informational seminars... and one who will meet with you one-on-one to learn about you and answer your questions before you commit to the surgery.

I had a good feeling about my surgeon on all these counts, and also liked the fact that he's heavily involved in continuing education, always either attending or teaching at conferences in his field. I also noticed that the people who work for him seem happy in their jobs, and very relaxed around him... and I think that tells you something important about character.

So my surgery went great, and although I did have some fairly serious pain at first, I think much of it was due to emotional stresses from other things going on at the time. Liquid hydrocodone kept things under control. If I'd had a job to go back to, I'm sure I could have done it by the end of the first week.

As for the fill, it was nothing at all -- they spent thirty minutes just talking with me, making sure I was doing all right, and then three minutes doing the fill, which was painless.

I hope it all works out for your friend, and her luck with it is as good as mine.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i've actually been doing theatre since 1999.
i've been on stage in over 30 different shows, & worked crew for 3 others... gonna be working crew for this next one, too.
that really cool, I miss doing live shows.

Carol,

so have you started to feel cold yet? I remember the time that i lost 150 pounds, i was always feeling cold, Even in july, Aug, i was wearing a coat, i just could not get warm.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe I missed this thread.

I just created a thread asking about the lap band because I have a consultation next week. I'm happy that it's working for you Carol, best wishes for continued success.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats!

It sounds like you have the right mindset to really make this work. Those that fail with surgery are often looking for the miracle cure, but you've taken this on as a lifestyle change --IMHO that's the way to approach it. Surgery is a tool to help you get started and support you in your journey, but you still have a lot of hard work ahead.

Remember, slow and steady wins the race. I lost 80 lbs using Weight Watchers and home DVDs, this got me to the point where I was more comfortable going to a gym (but I still do the DVDs). I started with yoga and "walk at home" DVDs. The most important thing I learned was about eating consciously --I had no idea how much I was mindlessly eating and I still have the occasional episode of binge eating, but I am so happy I made the changes.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

...so have you started to feel cold yet? I remember the time that i lost 150 pounds, i was always feeling cold, Even in july, Aug, i was wearing a coat, i just could not get warm.
Oh, how I look forward to that! Being so easily overheated has been outright debilitating for me -- literally, because my doctor gave me a handicapped parking pass to use during summer, when just walking to my car can actually make me faint from the heat. It will be so good not to feel like I'm going to burst into flame all the time!

Originally Posted by JellyBella

Congrats!

It sounds like you have the right mindset to really make this work. Those that fail with surgery are often looking for the miracle cure, but you've taken this on as a lifestyle change --IMHO that's the way to approach it. Surgery is a tool to help you get started and support you in your journey, but you still have a lot of hard work ahead.

Remember, slow and steady wins the race. I lost 80 lbs using Weight Watchers and home DVDs, this got me to the point where I was more comfortable going to a gym (but I still do the DVDs). I started with yoga and "walk at home" DVDs. The most important thing I learned was about eating consciously -- I had no idea how much I was mindlessly eating and I still have the occasional episode of binge eating, but I am so happy I made the changes.
Yes ma'am, mindless eating was a huge issue for me. I still slip sometimes -- two or three non-conscious bites into a meal, I finally remember to slow down and think about what I'm doing. When you only have maybe a dozen bites in your entire meal, you need to make sure they all count!

I've been thinking of looking for a DVD to work with at home... can you recommend any? If I could find one that would let me feel more like I'm dancing than exercising, that would be such fun.

There's an Arthur Murray studio around the corner from us, and I've promised myself that when I reach a weight where I wouldn't be ashamed to show my face there, I'm gonna learn to mambo!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

There's an Arthur Murray studio around the corner from us, and I've promised myself that when I reach a weight where I wouldn't be ashamed to show my face there, I'm gonna learn to mambo!

ooooh, that does sound like fun!
i am still having trouble getting warm enough... comes in handy since i don't like wearing short sleeves because of the extra skin. now i also don't like wearing short sleeves because i'm usually too cold to be comfy in them!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have the beach body one, I thought it was good.
But at this stage anything that will help to get you up and moving would be good.

i still vote for swimming

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i tried swimming [actually, water aerobics].
too blasted cold!
i would join the old people's water aerobics class if i could.
due to back issues,i cant do the other stuff. The class is just wrong time of day for me.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

I would say when you feel comfortable about moving, get yourself some lessons. Hubby and I have been taking ballroom for about 3 years. There are some large women who move much better than I ever could.