Weight Loss Journey....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Ooh, Laurie! I like the rice cakes that are white cheddar cheese flavored. They help with wanting something crunchy AND salty!
I never liked rice cakes because they're so dry - but it's actually a great idea now, because it'll help with the water intake!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations Kailie!!! You look fantastic!!

My husband and I are still going to the Wellness Center everyday. We do 30-45 min of cardio on the bikes, treadmill, or cross country ski machine. Which ever is available when we get there. Our favorite is the bicycles. I have not lost any weight since my first 15 pounds however, My cholesterol went from 324 down to 160. I don't know why my body is hanging on to the weight. I think it's a combination of the last blast from menapause and quitting smoking. I have been getting terrible hot flashes for the last few months. Ive been taking Black Cohosh for that. Our diet has been less meat and more beans, barley, split pea, lentil soups, stirfry and rice. I eat oatmeal for breakfast and yogurt, apples, oranges, fruit with hard boiled egg for lunch. I drink ice tea i make from the tea bags, 1% milk and water. Sometimes for a treat I drink cranberry juice. I haven't had a soda pop for a long time. I do like my occasional hersheys chocolate bar and I won't give that up so quick

I figure if I keep doing what I am doing I will be much better off than when I was smoking, eating wrong and not excercising. Every joint in my body hurts from excercising. I feel my age coming on big time. When I use the treadmill my left hip joint hurts really bad. Yesterday I was on it for 1 hour and I'm hobbling around today. I think I am taking off inches rather than pounds. My stamina is getting better because I quit smoking and that feels good!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you quit smoking, your metabolism actually changes. Smoking uses calories in a LOT of ways. My dad has juvenile diabetes and has a very regimented diet and exercise routine. When he quit smoking, he gained weight - and he didn't compensate quitting by eating. He found he had to cut further calories, because you burn less when you don't smoke.

It sounds like you are replacing fat with muscle, and that's still a really good thing! It is totally possible to be losing inches and not losing weight, because muscle weighs more than fat!
So that's all good!

CONGRATULATIONS on keeping up the exercise and especially on the improvement in your cholesterol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Monday, January 25

No breakfast - up and out of bed and went to appt with Gary.
Stopped at supermarket on way home, did (for us) a lot of walking! It was pouring, so large supermarket was good place to go.

Bought some more veges, some more fruit (including golden raspberries, which Gary LOVES), more water, and Wasabi Rice Crackers - figured a LOT of flavor for very few calories LOL.

Had baked chicken (seasoned with soy salt) for lunch, asparagus sprinkled with parmesan, and a lot of fruit salad.

I've had a little over a liter of water so far today - trying to make sure I hit that goal of 2!

Also, so far, I'm still doing 10-somethings (jumping jacks, knee bends, etc) before I sit down whenever I get up.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Monday, January 25

No breakfast - up and out of bed and went to appt with Gary.
Stopped at supermarket on way home, did (for us) a lot of walking! It was pouring, so large supermarket was good place to go.

Bought some more veges, some more fruit (including golden raspberries, which Gary LOVES), more water, and Wasabi Rice Crackers - figured a LOT of flavor for very few calories LOL.

Had baked chicken (seasoned with soy salt) for lunch, asparagus sprinkled with parmesan, and a lot of fruit salad.

I've had a little over a liter of water so far today - trying to make sure I hit that goal of 2!

Also, so far, I'm still doing 10-somethings (jumping jacks, knee bends, etc) before I sit down whenever I get up.
Yummy!!! Your menu sounds so good!!!!!!

Wasabi Rice Crackers sound yummy too!!!!! I love sushi with wasabi and soy sauce!!! Are they good???

I just got home from the wellness center. We did 45 minutes cardio tonight on the bikes. My heartbeat was up to 157-170 bpm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Quick question - when we have a craving for something sweet, fruit is an easy alternative.

Any thoughts on a good alternative for having a salty craving?
Another thing for a sweet snack: cereal does it for me... Either Cheerios multigrain or Kelloggs Guardian... they both have a hint of sweetness, and are filled with nutrition. I don't know if you guys have Kelloggs in the US.

Popsicles, or those fruit ones made with 100% fruit juices...mmmmm.

Salt: I really try to stay away as much as I can because its one of those things I can't control well yet but....

I use Smart Pop popcorn in portion sized bags 100cals each.
Veggies like tomato or cucumber with salt added.
Crackers (have to be careful here, a lot of crackers are high in calories)

Remember, don't deprive yourself of something.....everything in moderation... If you're craving a piece of cake, go get one, but split it between the 2 of you (or in my case, 3 others).... or get the weight watchers treats....or skinny cow ice cream treats.

OH, my fav for sweet is yogurt. The stuff I buy is YUMMY and fat free...35cals per cup (the cup it comes in) and oh I just love it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me, so far so good..... although I'm a little low on calories, intake, etc. Today, prior to a late evening snack, I was at 455 cal.... too low for my liking but some of that has to do with choices.

I forgot breakfast, ended up with a yogurt at 11.
Lunch was cereal with skim milk.
Snack: yogurt
Supper: veggie soup, salad with italian dressing, and some noodles.... (I buy the lean cuisine noodles...its convenient, especially when I have to cook 2 different meals.....it has meat, veggies, pasta and sauce...260cal/box)

I didn't finish the noodles..... so that was my 455cals.

I ended up having some dry cereal and some cheese for a snack, which brought me up to 655...... then I had a bowl of mushrooms/cucumber with 1tbsp low fat dressing.... which basically was just the cals of the dressing. Brought me up to 700 for the day.

I don't drink many calories.... just my coffee which is 25 (milk and sugar).... the rest is water, and 1 diet soda per day.

I did not get my exercise in yet..... I am planning on doing that tomorrow (well today). I did take my stairs a couple extra times though

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I use Smart Pop popcorn in portion sized bags 100cals each.
Veggies like tomato or cucumber with salt added.
Crackers (have to be careful here, a lot of crackers are high in calories)

Remember, don't deprive yourself of something.....everything in moderation... If you're craving a piece of cake, go get one, but split it between the 2 of you (or in my case, 3 others).... or get the weight watchers treats....or skinny cow ice cream treats.
I LOVE the Smart Pop 100 calorie popcorn. I LOVE popcorn.
Mmmm popcorn...

And the advice below about never depriving yourself is SO key! That was a huge part of my own success.

I know a lot of people have a hard time getting their daily intake of water. I find the Crytsal Light singles (or other brands of the singles) work WONDERS for myself when it comes to getting my water into me.

Keep up the great work all!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chris mentioned the Crystal Light to me before, but I can't stand the stuff. I've hit on the blueberry green tea we love - it's very lightly sweetened - 500 ml has 40 calories - but I basically take 1/3 bottle of that and add 250 ml of water. That seems to be helping.

And yup, we have Kellogg's here.
And I LOVE those all fruit frozen pops!!!!!

Tuesday January 26

Breakfast: the Better Start multigrain light english muffin (100 calories, 8g fiber) with a little bit of cream cheese, followed by fruit (mixed berries) and a glass of OJ.

Lunch: I fixed Gary a sandwich made on another multigrain bread (also 100 cal, 5g fiber), with a little drizzled olive oil, and fresh mozzarella and a few slices of ham, toasted/melted, and then a crispy slice of tomato added. I had salsa and chips.

Dinner is a chef's salad with watered down Thousand Island dressing. Probably have pears too.

We bought some 100 calorie trail mix snacks today, so those are both salty and sweet.

Once again, I've hit the 1 1/2 liters of "blueberry water" and am struggling with the rest!

Did a lot of running around today, did a lot of walking at Walmart (walked around the store three times before doing the shopping). Haven't done my 10-somethings every time I've gotten up this afternoon - just twice so far.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about what's a good healthy salty snack because that's something I struggle with as well, when I am craving something salty I automatically go for cheez it crackers, those things are amazing..but soo unhealthy! So what I thought of was nuts like almonds or cashews, or peanuts, they have a lot of omega 3 fats that help lower cholesterol too. They tend to have a lot of calories though so it's important to be careful..

Today I got the stevia sweetner, which is 100% natural calorie free sweetner that comes from some aztec plant...I'm glad I won't have to worry about artificial sweetners anymore.

I've been working on losing 20 pounds in the past 2 years, I'm glad I stayed at the same weight and didn't gain any these 2 years but still it would be nice to finally lose the last bit of weight I need to lose..

So this is what I ate today:

Breakfast: cereal bar 200 calories
Snack: cheez its from vending machine 210 calories
Lunch: sandwich with avocados, tomatoes, roasted red pepper 300 calories
Snack: smoothie with pear, banana, honeydew melon and spinach 400 calories
Dinner: stuffed pepper with rice 400 calories
total: 1510

I think I did good lol...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, you guys may think I'm nuts, but I found something today that (for me) satisfies either sweet or salty! I used to love pickles - and haven't been "into" them for some time. But I love pickled beets - and haven't had them for years because Gary can't stand them and I forgot about them. But we went out to walk today - did this at the supermarket (didn't need to shop). But we left the supermarket with... my pickled beets!
They have very few calories and are probably good for me too.

Wednesday January 27

Not a good day food-wise. No breakfast, no lunch. We ate whatever meal it was called at about 4:30pm. Shepherd's pie - with carrots, turnips, onion and a lovely thick topping of mashed potatoes! I doubt it was insane with calories - I'm just happy about losing the 3-meal a day schedule we've been trying to get back to.

I'm also not even at 1 litre of liquids yet.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ive been having three meals a day but havent counted the calories yet i want to try and get used to having breakfast dinner and tea and after just a few days i feel better about me

i need to stop eatting well cut down on bread i know that

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love pickled beets too Laurie!

AJ, even if you can't cut down on bread hun, it will help a lot to switch from white to whole grains.
Small changes like that make a bigger difference than people think.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

OK, you guys may think I'm nuts, but I found something today that (for me) satisfies either sweet or salty! I used to love pickles - and haven't been "into" them for some time. But I love pickled beets - and haven't had them for years because Gary can't stand them and I forgot about them. But we went out to walk today - did this at the supermarket (didn't need to shop). But we left the supermarket with... my pickled beets!
They have very few calories and are probably good for me too.

Wednesday January 27

Not a good day food-wise. No breakfast, no lunch. We ate whatever meal it was called at about 4:30pm. Shepherd's pie - with carrots, turnips, onion and a lovely thick topping of mashed potatoes! I doubt it was insane with calories - I'm just happy about losing the 3-meal a day schedule we've been trying to get back to.

I'm also not even at 1 litre of liquids yet.
OH! I LOOOOOOVE pickled beets! My great grandmother made the best ones! I ate so many one time when I was about 6 that I peed red, LOL!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK - so I'm not crazy!
We've got to get to an asian market - I also love Kimchi (Korean pickled spicy cabbage)!

AJ - I am a total carb addict. We've switched to all whole grains... and really, the bigger problem I had was my absolute love of butter. But making myself use cream cheese instead of butter - and whipped cream cheese (need a lot less of it
) really has helped make the transition and cut down on a lot of fat and calories.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah i only eat wholegrain anywyas

but i promised i wouldnt do this but i weighed myself today and ive gone from 13.3 down to 12.86 its not much but its a start isnt it

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by -_aj_-

ive been having three meals a day but havent counted the calories yet i want to try and get used to having breakfast dinner and tea and after just a few days i feel better about me

i need to stop eatting well cut down on bread i know that
Originally Posted by -_aj_-

yeah i only eat wholegrain anywyas

but i promised i wouldnt do this but i weighed myself today and ive gone from 13.3 down to 12.86 its not much but its a start isnt it
I had to find a weight conversion to figure this out

186.2lb to 180.4lbs....

How long have you been losing? (sorry its a bad morning for me, so I'm lazy and not looking through the threads)

A 6lb weight loss is great..... generally speaking, to lose weight at a decent and steady, and healthy speed, we lose 1-2lbs a week.

You've lost 6lbs in ? weeks?

I think its easy for you to think of your loss as not much because you use stones for a measurement, and stones are huge compared to pounds. 1dt = 14lbs...... That is a loss I'd expect to see in about 6-8wks time.

I think you are like me.... its better to focus on one thing at a time

For me, my start was counting calories....and adding breakfast onto it. Then moved onto making sure I had healthy food choices.... portion control, etc.

Counting calories doesn't work for everyone......so do what works for you..... cuz it seems to be working so far

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh geez, but I love pickled beets! I only make them about once a year or so, around Easter because I make them for my parents who love them as much as I do. And for us, it seems to be an Easter tradition, probably because when we were kids, we colored eggs.....and then Mom made pickled beets and eggs.

One of my GF's partner is Korean and she always had Kimchi on hand....I like that, too.

Carbs are my downfall. We made the switch to whole-grains. For those who like to make their own bread, I'm now using the white whole grain flour, too. It's a good flour and you can even use it in some recipes that don't necessarily call for it....and a lot of people don't even know that you're using it.

I'm a binger and it's a hard habit to break. I do well for a week or more, then I find myself raiding the cabinets and the fridge. Doesn't matter what it is, I'll eat it.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

Carbs are my downfall. We made the switch to whole-grains. For those who like to make their own bread, I'm now using the white whole grain flour, too. It's a good flour and you can even use it in some recipes that don't necessarily call for it....and a lot of people don't even know that you're using it.

I'm a binger and it's a hard habit to break. I do well for a week or more, then I find myself raiding the cabinets and the fridge. Doesn't matter what it is, I'll eat it.
Carbs have always been my downfall as well.

As a fellow binger, I ask.....do you know why you binge????
I know why I binge.... and that's half the battle right there.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Carbs have always been my downfall as well.

As a fellow binger, I ask.....do you know why you binge????
I know why I binge.... and that's half the battle right there.
I'm right there with ya ladies. Love, love, LOVE carbs! I really do think whole grains, brown rice as opposed to white, whole wheat pasta as opposed to white, etc, makes a BIG difference though.

I binge too, which is why I make sure I don't have anything too unhealthy in my home. If it's not there, I can't eat it. If I'm going to binge I'd rather it be on fruit and veggies. I find that not only am I an emotional eater, but I eat when I'm bored, so I always try to find ways to keep myself occupied.