Weight Control Support Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. I've spent most of my time in the other sections of the board so now its time to move around. Low and behold, something that can help me! I've been working through the 90 pages here and whew! Willpower central. I need to start down the road to losing some #s. I realized that when I went for my last uniform fitting, it was not a pleasant situation. So here's my question: What is an effective way for a time-challenged and girth-challenged guy to get a handle on the problem. Any suggestions? ==== Help....

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also need help with this, I have had weight troubles all my life. Through out high school I was either anorexic or overweight. Since last summer I gained around 60-70 lbs and I am very overweight. I have cut down on the amount of food, but it is just so hard to get started on a lifestyle change..I don't know what to do!

spikeadelika

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I could use some help aswell. I am going to WW on a Tuesday every week and I have 50lbs to go still. The first day I made sure I wore heavy clothes and got weighed with my shoes on and jacket. Don't laugh, each week I go I wear a little less so the first few weeks I lost weight - well a little plus the cheating on the clothes made it a little more LOL. But now I really have to loose it on my own (or I will end up naked at the meeting) and I find it soooooo hard to stick to my points given. I find myself eating things I should not without letting myself think about it and then feeling bad afterwards. I conveniently forget to add up some of the points and nibble on my sons crisps and sweets when he has them (and don't count the points). I feel like a cheat - I am a cheat - HELP.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best advice I can give from my own experience is moderation, portion size, planning and cut out sugars.

Mark, I'm very busy as well. I work 11 hour days and used to eat junk food and sugar often. My motivation came the first of February when I found out I have type II diabetes. I worked in a thoracic intensive care for 13 years when I lived in Michigan and saw a lot of complications in patients with diabetes. I don't want to end up like that!

I have to say that portion size has been the most important thing to me. By watching the portions and cutting out the sugar I've lost 38 pounds since the beginning of February. And I'm one of those people who has tried and tried to lose the last 8 years and wasn't sucessful! I have a long way to go but am determined to be healthy again.

I am happy (Mark) that you've decided to explore other parts of the boards! I don't remember a guest speaker that has done that before! I see thecatsite as more then a site to post cute pictures of your kitties and get information on cats. It's been a life saver to me at times and I feel like I've made friends here. This is a pretty tight knit group and the only board I've ever belonged to where there aren't major problems! I guess we're just a bunch of caring, loving people who share many things about our lives!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My advice would be to never deprive yourselves of anything!. Do this and it's a dead cert that you will cheat.

I 'must' have a biscuit with my morning coffee and one in the evening
if i did'nt i'd eat the lot!!. If you like crisps(potatoe chips), have them but get the low fat variety, and change to diet drinks, better still flavoured water. And plan your evening meal the night before otherwise you go in thinking 'What can i have?', and before you know it your hands in the cookie jar!!.

I've went back into fitness training, but you don't need a gym to do it. Anything that gets your heart rate up such as walking will do just as good because it does boost weight loss.

Good luck this week everyone

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by rosiemac
If you like crisps(potatoe chips), have them but get the low fat variety,
Ok my secret is out. After living 4 years in the UK (in Sevenoaks, Kent) I have yet to find crisps in the states that are worth a #@$$#. Any chance of a "yank" making a sly deal to get you to send some real crisps. Pickled onion flavor, prawn, beefy onion... Oh my mouth is watering. This is torture.

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just found an awesome site. It is called FitDay http://fitday.com/ , it is totally free and it helps you keep track of what you have eaten, what activities you have done, you can make up goals, write in a journal, it has a calendar that has little icons to tell you if you worked out, what you ate, and if you wrote in the journal. It also can show graphs of how you are doing, and you can add whatever foods you have that they might not have on the site already. It seems like a great resource for anyone following any lifestyle change/diet. Best of all, you don't have to pay for anything, unlike most sites like that, they do have a FitDay PC which is like a software program you can buy to use, I am thinking of buying that as well!

Just wanted to let everyone know they great find I came upon, please ignore me if you already knew about this!

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just say the word Mark and a pack of Walkers 24 pack variety will be on it's way!!
Senior Humane Officer M.T. Kumpf
5585 Sabre Road
Norfolk Virginia USA 23502

Please advise and I will send you $$$ or euros. May have to be a travellers check type deal but shouldnt be too difficult. Thank you thank you thank you. And since these will be my "guilty pleasure" you can send the fully fat loaded versions!

Now if I can just figure out how Shell managed her miraculous feat of self control for herself AND her cat, I would have it made! I have yet to take a picture as good as hers. Maybe because I'm a guy...

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The original Walkers crisps it is!. No need to send money, consider it as a gift so as to bring back memories of your time in Kent

I'm shopping tonight so i'll get them posted tomorrow.

Are they they only flavours you want?

Susan

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The original Walkers crisps it is!. No need to send money, consider it as a gift so as to bring back memories of your time in Kent

I'm shopping tonight so i'll get them posted tomorrow.

Are they they only flavours you want?

Susan
I'm easy to get along with. Anything would be wonderful.

Kent, Sevenoaks, Tunbridge Wells, Chipstead. Even attended prep school. Still have my school uniform. Maroon! I am SURE I don't fit in it anymore....

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No chip talk allowed in this thread!!!!!

That is my one weakness.

Well I went for my weigh in on saturday morning, hacking and coughing and weak with sickness.

I gained 1.2 pounds!!!

How that happened I'll never know. I've been sick all week. Only thing I've really been intaking with drugs and more drugs. When I wasn't taking the drugs I was sleeping.

Well the woman at WW said it could be fluid weight gain. I'm hoping it is. Now that I'm on the better side, Saturday better be a drop in the weight.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG...just found this post...anyone care to send some fruit pastilles my way...pretty, pretty, please!!

Mark...I had no clue you had spent time in the UK...my mom's whole family is from Scotland (Edinburgh to be exact). I spent my Junior Year of college at St. Andrews University and even got to wear my grandmother's gown (which I still have). Raisin weekend was an event I will never forget....or remember (one too many shandys I think..or maybe it was a snowball...).

I agree crisps are very BORING here...I miss my prawn flavored crisps, all the chocolate (Lions are my favorites...but I like Wispas, Crunchies, Aero, Double Decker etc.), beef sausages...sigh.

Katie

P.S. I recently lost 15 pounds...I call it the 1 meal a day because I'm stressed at work diet.

meowzer-x-

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm young, so my body doesn't need as much attention now, but I also need to drink lots of water! I'm slacking on that. I will have a healthy day
ty

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by TNR1
OMG...just found this post...anyone care to send some fruit pastilles my way...pretty, pretty, please!!

Mark...I had no clue you had spent time in the UK...my mom's whole family is from Scotland (Edinburgh to be exact). I spent my Junior Year of college at St. Andrews University and even got to wear my grandmother's gown (which I still have). Raisin weekend was an event I will never forget....or remember (one too many shandys I think..or maybe it was a snowball...).

I agree crisps are very BORING here...I miss my prawn flavored crisps, all the chocolate (Lions are my favorites...but I like Wispas, Crunchies, Aero, Double Decker etc.), beef sausages...sigh.

Katie

P.S. I recently lost 15 pounds...I call it the 1 meal a day because I'm stressed at work diet.
OMG! AERO - Got some and some FLAKE when I went to Australia. Pastilles. NOW I AM REALLY GETTING IN TROUBLE! Most of the "bit of england" shops here sell the US versions of some things and getting good cadbury's chocolate, or crisps that aren't stale, or some Heinz spaghetti in can, real bangers with googie peas and mash, steak and kidney pie, cottage pie, scones that taste GOOD, the list that goes on, is almost impossible. Maybe we should move these posts to another thread and stop torturing ourselves and the others in the WLSG thread. At this rate all I will be supporting is my INCREASING instead of decreasing waistline.

Mdog - UK resident 1972-1976 Die hard Dr. Who, Jackanory, The Goodies, Michael Bentines Potty Time, Blue Peter, Captain Scarlet, Thunderbirds, and Z cars fan! Don't forget Benny Hill and Monty Python. Now you KNOW why I am such a nut. Oops almost left out Peyton Place and the Two Ronnies.

linda_of_pgff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Mark Kumpf
So here's my question: What is an effective way for a time-challenged and girth-challenged guy to get a handle on the problem. Any suggestions? ==== Help....

I sure wish *I* knew that secret too!!! Well, I don't share this with many, but, I am one of those AWFUL folk who never had a weight problem . . . . until I hit the age of about 45. WHAM! I suspect that it also had to do with increased negative stresses that coincided with that. (I have a VERY driven husband, and I think sometimes that we share my one willpower
)

The worst part, for me, is that I have in the past been in great shape, exercising very regularly, eating really clean. I didn't realize then, how fortunate I was and how important it should have been to stay with that routine, to keep from putting on weight. I was weight-training with the help of a personal trainer, and when I stopped doing the weight-training, I forgot
to stop eating like a weight-trainer. And, I firmly believe that if we are gonna impress the general public with how important animals are to people, we rescuers should be walking examples. So I am kicking myself to try and get back into gear.

If you are time-crunched, and there is ANY way that you can find to afford it, work with a trainer. You really WILL make more progress, more safely, than you can on your own.

Mark, does the police department have a physical training element that maybe, they could include ACOs in on in your area? My job's not at ALL physical, so, bummer, I sit at a desk all day, now. Oh, and falling while crossing a wet floor leaving the office a while back did NOT help my exercise routine one bit!! I've just recently started getting back on the treadmill to walk some. I have the benefit of knowing, from before, that ONCE I get into a routine, I'll actually have more energy than if I just came home and crashed. And I can handle stresses better.

Like Mary Louise Mastrantonio's character says in THE ABYSS, "Ya gotta have priorities."

Oh yeah - been to England but not for school. You all lucky folks, I'm a trifle jealous!

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Mark Kumpf
Now if I can just figure out how Shell managed her miraculous feat of self control for herself AND her cat, I would have it made! I have yet to take a picture as good as hers. Maybe because I'm a guy...
Awww Mark, you're too sweet!
I didn't lose my weight like I should have. I relied on diet pills to help me achieve those goals, but I did start to eat better. I don't think I had ate a salad in several years until I finally started this program. Now, I love salad & practically can't get enough!

I don't suggest taking diet pills, but I can tell you that the stuff I am on works. But...only if you have your mind set, eat better & do some physical activity. I'll admit, I don't do any cardio or any of that jazz but with my job I'm walking none stop all day. I roughly walk about 6+ miles per day just at work & it definitely helps. If you are interested in the program that I'm on, just get a hold of me & I'll give you the website to check out.

As for Echo, that was a heckuva lot easier than myself! She's not a picky eater, so she eats what ever I put in front of her!
Apparently the Iams Weight Control is working good for her...I wonder if it'd do the same for us?
LOL!

Thanks again Mark! Good luck & stop thinking about all those goodies!
The most important thing for weight loss is the power of your mind!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you lot like for torturing yourselves!.

While i was shopping last night, i nearly picked up a Twix and a Cadburys creme egg to put in with the crisps for you, but then i remembered when i was in the states they had Cadbury chocolate, although it did taste different to the chocolate over here?!.

Anyway, theres 24 bags of crisps leaving today by Her Majestys Royal Mail.

They didn't have any pickled onion, so i got Roast Chicken, Beef and Onion and doubled up on the Prawn flavour.

Don't blame me if you put on weight mind!, i'm just the humble supplier

CREEPYOWL: Have you been taking cough mixture?. If so that can put weight on as they have sugar in.

TNR1: If you PM your address i'll post you some Pastilles. I hate to see people deprived LOL

MARK: I saw Tim Brooke Taylor who used to be in the Goodies a couple of years ago in a pub near where i live. He was doing theatre work.

LINDA: I know that feeling well. I also was in brilliant shape just 4 years ago because i was always in the gym 3-4 times a week, and i was able to run rings around the younger ones!. I'm also 45, but i've thrown myself back into the gym because i want to get back there again, and i will!.

P.S. I'm having bangers and mash tonight!!. Oh and don't forget the gravy, but it's all pointed.
Susan

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw Tim Brooke Taylor who used to be in the Goodies a couple of years ago in a pub near where i live. He was doing theatre work.
I grew up watching the Goodies - I used to sneak up and say to my parents that I couldnt sleep so that I could snuggle up to my dad while he watched it and i would watch it too - I LOVED the Goodies!
Where are the rest now?

Status
Not open for further replies.