Wedding receptions, what did you eat at yours?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another old timer as it was over 20 yrs ago. We had the reception/dinner at Rib River Ballroom as real oldie but good place to have a big wedding. We had open bar until dinner. What this is free drinks for everyone!! After dinner "free" beer and soda which is I guess a Wisconsin tradition!! I know I didn't eat alot but the food was made by a church group. Family style chicken, mashed potatoes, dressing some sort of veggies.
The best it these ladies make pies for dessert the were the best!!! The wedding cake was served later. Then about 10-11 pm we had sandwiches provided by the same group.
The next day went we opened the gifts at mom and dad's we had whatever food was left over (like the pie!!) Then we had more broasted chicken from a small town tavern.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ErinandSeamus

And we had two hours of an open bar followed by a cash bar, which is kind of tacky, but no one seemed to mind.
Hmmm, I've never been to a wedding that had an open bar before. Its very uncommon where I live. People have like toonie bars so that the proceeds go to helping out the newly married couple. I personally don't find this tacky at all. Mine was a cash bar too.

At my wedding 10 months ago, we had a 3pm wedding then a 6pm supper at a rented hall. We had ham and turkey(cold) with a whole bunch of salads and buns and it was really good. Its kind of a tradition in my family that the meal at the reception is made by the bride's family.

This way there is a story even behind what is served at the reception (just the choice of turkey and ham mainly). My aunt made my cake (fake) for pics....my dream cake, and then we just had two sheet cakes, one chocolate and one vanilla with icing in the colors of our wedding.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

It's been more than 28 years but I remember well. Well actually I don't remember what we ate, but I remember we (the band and I) went a Denny's in Tampa Florida after the ceremony.
Sounds like fun, but... where was your husband?!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't completely finalized the menu yet, but the one thing Bradley is ADAMANT about is that we have a prime rib carving station. That is the speciality at the country club where we're holding the reception, so it should be great

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
*laugh* I'm not married yet either... but we want to do a pig roast for ours, with lots of fruit and cheeses and different kinds of breads (with a couple salads).

Our original theme was Medieval, and then we altered that to Enchanted Forest, but the food will stay pretty much the same.

The difficulty is going to be in the cake. We want to have a (very) small cheesecake made up to look like a castle, and then smaller personal size cheesecakes for the guests. We'll have a topping table so people can DIY cheesecake for their taste. (Cheesecake is so subjective).

I'm really hoping that these ideas work out.

The last wedding I went to didn't have a dinner but it did have a sundae bar (that was fun!), and the one before that, they ordered fried chicken from the grocery store.
We ate it with stale buns and american (the kind with the plastic wrapping) cheese.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are no rules, except that you shouldn't FORGET or get too busy to eat at your own wedding.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't remember exactly....(sheesh, it wasn't even 3 years ago yet!) but I think we had chicken, roast beef, mashed potatoes, greens and some other veggie. I honestly don't remember much. I barely ate. They tell me the food was good though.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We really wanted to encourage everyone to get to know each other and have fun at our reception, so ours was a family-style dinner. They served a soup and salad, and for the entree there were platters of roasted chicken, roast beef, penne pasta, mashed potatoes, and green beans that they passed around at each table. We had spumoni ice cream and wedding cake for dessert. It wasn't as formal as a plated dinner would have been, but everybody really loved having a choice of food without having to go up to a buffet. It also encouraged conversation at the tables where people didn't know each other as well.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't recall what was served at my first wedding (as unforgetable as that marriage was). With Steve, we served Filet Mignon with a mushroom wine sauce, grilled potatoes, fresh green beans, salad, an appetizer, and sherbet to cleanse the pallet before we served cake. And of course the champagne toast and loads of wine with an open bar. We hired a quartet that was doing the musical Cats (in Chicago) at the time. They were really good.

Yes, we were extravagent, but the day after we got married, we moved 1200 miles from where we grew up. It was our going away party to our friends. I forget the name of the place, but it was in the top floor of a high rise building that overlooked O'Hare Airport. We watched planes land during the entire event (including the wedding presided by a judge).

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a feeling mine will a low-key, vegetarian, hors d'ouvre-ful potluck or family made type deal. Ian and I really don't like the idea of huge, lavish, $20,000 weddings. We'd rather have a small gathering of close family and friends and go on an AWESOME trip together with our money.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

There are no rules, except that you shouldn't FORGET or get too busy to eat at your own wedding.
or, more importantly eat earlier in the day so when you drink the champagne in the limo after the ceremony you don't get a case of nausea
while taking your photos at the park- take it from someone who knows

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember what we had for ours since it was just this past Saturday...

We had party-cut red and white pizza, along with mini strombolis for the appetizers. Then a served garden salad. For the 'entree', we had a buffet with chicken in garlic cream sauce, eggplant parmesean, ham with pineapple sauce, mashed potatoes, and veggies (green beans, carrots, and broccoli). Dessert was the wedding cake, along with ice cream and cherries jubilee.

And the place was nice enough to send home all of the left-overs... i won't have to cook for awhile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations Jenn!!!

Originally Posted by jgaruba

I remember what we had for ours since it was just this past Saturday...

We had party-cut red and white pizza, along with mini strombolis for the appetizers. Then a served garden salad. For the 'entree', we had a buffet with chicken in garlic cream sauce, eggplant parmesean, ham with pineapple sauce, mashed potatoes, and veggies (green beans, carrots, and broccoli). Dessert was the wedding cake, along with ice cream and cherries jubilee.

And the place was nice enough to send home all of the left-overs... i won't have to cook for awhile.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember my brother's reception, best one I'd been to.
With some family connections, we were able to get Daybreak Star Indian Cultural Center in Seattle for the reception, the food was a traditional Coastal Indian salmon bake.

Weddings are formal, I think receptions should be relaxed gatherings of family and friends and the food/drink should reflect that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Warning, don't read this thread if your hungry!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think we are having roast beef with demi-glace, oven roasted rosemary potatoes, veggies and cherry cheesecake. It's not set in stone though, I told Jeff that he is handling the dinner arrangements!

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just so happens that I still have notes on my computer about what we served!

Hors d' oeuvres:
* fresh fruit tray
* caramelized brie w/ grapes and baguette slices

Dinner buffet:
* mahi mahi w/ coconut and macadamia sauce
* fettuccine primavera
* Hawaiian coleslaw
* tomato cucumber salad
* rice pilaf
* smashed red skin potatoes
* green beans almondine
* rolls
* coffee, iced tea
* pink lady punch (cranberry and pineapple juices)
* wine
* Heineken keg
* champagne/Martinelli's for the toast!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For our rehearsal dinner we are having a bbq equipped with pulled pork, pulled chicken, texas toast, hushpuppies, cole slaw, potatoe salad, corn on the cobb, and sweet and unsweet tea.

For the reception:
Chicken Roulade (sp?) - pretty much a moist chicken pinwheel with a creamy spinach rolled in
Seafood Crepes
Asparagus Bundles
Garlic Potatoe - cut in the shape of mushrooms
Salad display
Bread display
Appetizer - Spanikopitas

The cake will be a lemon pound cake with strawberry filling!