Weather anxieties

catsoul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's going to be 50's and 60's here for the next 10 days or so, low in the evening of 20's. Balmy for Colorado.

More good news...the black cat chose to walk in when I opened the door about 3 days ago in the late evening. It was 5 degrees, he came to eat and I opened the door and that was that. This is the second time he's been in, and I won't make the mistake of letting him out again. I don't trust that the weather won't get bad again, April is a very cold and snowy month here.

He's doing great, he lets me pick him up and play and everything, he was previously neutered in January when I got him in the first time. The female and him had a very happy reunion and they get along great. The female is scheduled for next week for spaying.

She is very happy and wants nothing to do with going out, and is very attached to me already. The black one is crying at night to go out, but is fine during the day and just rests and plays. Not to say he wouldn't go out in the day if I let him out, but he does not actively cry and seek to go out during the day. He's keeping me up with his cries at night. Does anyone know why it is more insistent at night, and is there a reasonable chance he might want to stay in permanently? I will have to deal with whether or not he will go back out, but I have month or so to decide. I'm fine with him going out and wandering, but don't want him to be running from me anymore when the winter comes in case it gets bad. He is loving being with the girl kitty but he still wants to go out.

Any suggestions or thoughts on why the evening is the time he wants to go out most badly? Feline03, hoping you will check in soon to tell us about Blackie.

Spring is almost here!! Can't wait.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
looks like we're getting a break in the weather here in northern Ohio-WOOHOO! We've had it up to here with starlings (a battle we fought for the first time last year -and lost repeatedly). They're definitely quadrupling our cat food budget -but nothing we did last year deterred them ....in the end our feeding station looked like a Macy's day float...figured we were frightening more neighbors than starlings & gave up. Guess birds have to eat too darn it. They do go away soon as the snow melts.

We shake our heads at our deal gang....despite having two very heavily insulated houses with heated mats (one dogloo & one double Rubbermaid house), they seem to prefer a tiny box (lined with insulation & straw) I set in the garage (we keep our door up about 4 inches) or under our neighbors hot tub deck (we finally put -with permission-a box lined with insulation & filled with straw there too -next to hit tub motor). Our "expensive heated " houses often have stretches of being ignored -oddly, particularly when it gets really scarey cold like this.But happily-just saw one (Big Ray) that we hadn't seen in months & feared the worst for. So never give up hope. Blacky we're thinking of you! @feline03 keep us updated! I personally wonder if all the extra commotion this weather brings (shoveling, snowblowing, fiercer wind, etc) spooks them. Keep the faith -and keep the food & fresh water available. Generally they eventually remember where their bread is buttered!

And on a completely different note -wonder of wonders -our almost-20-year-old "Phoebe"....wa diagnosed last March with complete renal failure and we were told it was best to put her down that day....this week she hits ONE YEAR past her "expiration date." Guess no one told her her time was up! And she's happy as a clam-so we definitely made the right choice. Just wanted to remind everyone what tough things they can be!!!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

It's going to be 50's and 60's here for the next 10 days or so, low in the evening of 20's. Balmy for Colorado.

More good news...the black cat chose to walk in when I opened the door about 3 days ago in the late evening. It was 5 degrees, he came to eat and I opened the door and that was that. This is the second time he's been in, and I won't make the mistake of letting him out again. I don't trust that the weather won't get bad again, April is a very cold and snowy month here.

He's doing great, he lets me pick him up and play and everything, he was previously neutered in January when I got him in the first time. The female and him had a very happy reunion and they get along great. The female is scheduled for next week for spaying.

She is very happy and wants nothing to do with going out, and is very attached to me already. The black one is crying at night to go out, but is fine during the day and just rests and plays. Not to say he wouldn't go out in the day if I let him out, but he does not actively cry and seek to go out during the day. He's keeping me up with his cries at night. Does anyone know why it is more insistent at night, and is there a reasonable chance he might want to stay in permanently? I will have to deal with whether or not he will go back out, but I have month or so to decide. I'm fine with him going out and wandering, but don't want him to be running from me anymore when the winter comes in case it gets bad. He is loving being with the girl kitty but he still wants to go out.

Any suggestions or thoughts on why the evening is the time he wants to go out most badly? Feline03, hoping you will check in soon to tell us about Blackie.

Spring is almost here!! Can't wait.
Great news about Black Cat. I think as they get older they start to appreciate home comforts more. My avatar cat is over 10 years old now. He wouldn't stay indoors at all the first few years that I fed him but last winter stayed in on the really cold nights and now is happy as an indoor cat with daily outdoor access.

Cats are always more active at night. Sunrise and sunset are the best times for hunting and there are less people around at night so they can move around freely. Do you have a screened in porch or a covered balcony that he could go on to when the nights are warmer?

I'm really looking forward to spring too.

gesseppe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All my babies are ferals...  snow here in Wisconsin has been pretty bad this winter as well.  Finally was able to Catch a Father and Son.  The vet check ups..  and working them into my house with my other babies.  The liter box messes and hiding and trying to comfort and all that stuff while..  grrrr and hisss's... well it has its rewards.  Hope everyone is coping better now that its warmer out.. Here are some pics of  my newest babies.

These babies have inspired me to make hammocks..  they all fight over wall space, its crazy.

God bless all who do their part to help a fellow creature in need,

Gesseppe

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You have some beautiful cats @Gesseppe  The cat with the green colour has really striking eyes.

The wall hammocks are a great idea. I put up wall shelving for my cats but it needs reinforcing now, they've all put on a  little weight over the winter. 

feline03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update on Blacky,

I am sorry to say that Tom found Blacky under the house dead tonight.  I am so upset I cannot go into any details.

I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for your support throughout all of this and I wish it had a happier ending.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry.  I have tears falling down my face for you.  You did so much for her.  Please know that we are all here for you. 

RIP Blacky.  You are so in my thoughts. Words cannot do enough to convey my sorrow. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am  deeply sorry for your loss. Thank you for all you did for this cat, you are a very beautiful person.  

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been following your story on Blacky and am sorry for your loss.  Thank you for all you did for her.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@feline03 - I hadn't been able to check in for a few days on this thread & was SO sorry to hear about your loss. Feral, stray, adopted or in between---they all end up holding such a special place in our hearts, & we all understand how deeply you feel this loss. At least try to take comfort in the fact that you made his time here so much better, knowing he had food & a safe place.