Weather anxieties

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is the trail camera I used for awhile.  It took great pictures, but I do believe you need something to view the SD card.  If you have a digital camera and it takes an SD card, you can pop it in the camera and then attach camera to computer.

It runs on 4 D batteries too that last awhile.

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had the extremely RARE and major (for Alabama) snow storm event yesterday....8-11 inches which is unheard of for the Northern Alabama area.  My outside semi-ferals were delighted with the "straw nest" areas I'd made for them under the back bay window.   The black one is Bart and the Tortie is Shuga.  Shuga doesn't "look" like she's under the overhang but she really is pretty far back under the bay window in a nice little "nest" of straw. 

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had our entire portion of the colony that we feed/shelter disappear last winter during the very worst of the snow and sub zero temps  (we're in northern ohio so we got it bad last year and this year) for weeks at a time. Some disappeared for several months….only to reappear after the worst of it. We never did figure out where they "hunkered down"  although we'd see tracks periodically but never to the food or our heated shelters. One cat's tracks seemed to often lead to under a neighbor's car…although we never figured out which one//ones it was. Several disappeared for the same this winter at the first sub-zero stretch - and three of our "see every night and morning" during spring, summer and fall  - Maddy, Big Ray and Bigger Ray - we hadn't seen at all since the first snow, but last night I saw Big Ray and Maddy at our food station during a snow squall. So don't completely despair - we all talk on this forum about where they go when it gets nasty. You'd think they'd stay where they know food/shelter/fresh water are…but some instinct obviously changes their patterns when it gets really awful out. 

I asked for a trail cam for Christmas - I didn't get it but think I'm going to invest anyway. I think they give a little added peace of mind and sound wonderful :)

Don't give up hope!

feline03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks KittyChick and to all who are somewhat comforting me.  The food is still there tonight.  All I can hope for is that she is alive and well.  We all wish we could do something more and always think we can, however, sometimes we can't.  I think I may invest in a trail cam also for security reasons and just to see her if she comes by.  I think if she is alive and well, she eventually will come back but one never really knows do we.  If they only knew what was best for them huh.

feline03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi ShadowsRescue,

I checked the camera out.  It's more affordable than the one Norachan sent me the link to so I may invest in the one you recommended.  I saw that you can by an adaptor to plug in the SD card so I'd need to purchase that also.  When you go to view the footage does it take long to find what it took pictures of? 

Hope all your felines are doing well and I hope I see Blacky soon.  She still hasn't come around.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi ShadowsRescue,

I checked the camera out.  It's more affordable than the one Norachan sent me the link to so I may invest in the one you recommended.  I saw that you can by an adaptor to plug in the SD card so I'd need to purchase that also.  When you go to view the footage does it take long to find what it took pictures of? 

Hope all your felines are doing well and I hope I see Blacky soon.  She still hasn't come around.
You have to play around with the settings a bit.  It snaps pictures every time there is movement and you can set the sensitivity.  The pictures were incredible at night.  I was stunned how clear they were.  I had to play around quite a bit on placement too.  Each night I would turn it on and then go and retrieve the SD card in the morning.  Sometimes there were tons and tons of pictures if it was windy.  You also don't want to use it on snowy or rainy nights as you will just get pics of snow or rain. 

When you retrieve the SD card you just plug it in and the pictures are all right there.  I had an adaptor for my ipad and there were ready to view in 30 seconds.  The only issue is proper placement.  You just have to test it a few times to be sure it is taking pics of what you want and you have it at the right angle.  Unfortunately it means taking the SD card each time and taking it inside.  Yet once you get it set it's good to go.

I so hope Blacky comes back soon.  I know how much of a worry it is.  It is so hard when we have no control over them.  I feel strongly that Blacky is ok and she will be back.  Just keep leaving her food in case she needs it.  I keep thinking that eventually spring does have to come.  It is to be -3 here tonight with wind chills near -20. 

My boys are doing well.  They seem to have adapted to the cold and are out and about most of the day even in the cold.  Yet at night they stay in the shelter all night.  It is to warm up a bit by next week so we will see.

Keep us posted on Blacky.  You both are in my thoughts.

catsoul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another several inches of snow and below zero temps. Ugh.

I haven't seen my black feral for almost two weeks, I fear the worst because he does not use the shelter I set up. He normally stays under a neighbor's patio, but he has not been there. While it is a large latticed area, he has no shelter to go in under there and the temperatures are just too cold. I can't imagine he survived the last many weeks in this weather without eating or drinking.

The other feral, on the other hand, is still around. She uses the waterproof and straw shelter regularly. When I see her she looks at me and meows and cries, something she's never done. I want to get her out of the weather but she won't let me near her. She still needs to be trapped for spaying, and I'd keep her in the house in her own room if I can catch her. My indoor cat doesn't like her at all, and I'm so surprised because she likes cats in general and liked the black cat when he was in the house.

Is it unreasonable to try to trap her in this weather with my Havahart? Seems to me the most important thing is to ensure she has food and water, but I want to trap them both to get them out of this weather. I'm concerned, though, that if I trap them and they go back out in the spring, that I can never trap them again if needed if there is an injury or they need to visit the vets for shots. The black one is overdue for his second round of shots, and I know once I trap that will be it...which means no way to get them in when succeeding winters come. Any thoughts?

Still very stressed and anxious, what a horrible winter...I am so worried about them.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Another several inches of snow and below zero temps. Ugh.

I haven't seen my black feral for almost two weeks, I fear the worst because he does not use the shelter I set up. He normally stays under a neighbor's patio, but he has not been there. While it is a large latticed area, he has no shelter to go in under there and the temperatures are just too cold. I can't imagine he survived the last many weeks in this weather without eating or drinking.

The other feral, on the other hand, is still around. She uses the waterproof and straw shelter regularly. When I see her she looks at me and meows and cries, something she's never done. I want to get her out of the weather but she won't let me near her. She still needs to be trapped for spaying, and I'd keep her in the house in her own room if I can catch her. My indoor cat doesn't like her at all, and I'm so surprised because she likes cats in general and liked the black cat when he was in the house.

Is it unreasonable to try to trap her in this weather with my Havahart? Seems to me the most important thing is to ensure she has food and water, but I want to trap them both to get them out of this weather. I'm concerned, though, that if I trap them and they go back out in the spring, that I can never trap them again if needed if there is an injury or they need to visit the vets for shots. The black one is overdue for his second round of shots, and I know once I trap that will be it...which means no way to get them in when succeeding winters come. Any thoughts?

Still very stressed and anxious, what a horrible winter...I am so worried about them.
Since she needs to be spayed that is most important.  You can trap her now, get her right to the vet for spay and shots and then allow her to stay inside to recooperate.  If you wait much longer the chances of her getting pregnant are high.  She will need a place to stay while recovering from the spay, but she she will be safest at first in the trap or large cage.  If you do keep her in a spare room, make sure it is completely cat proofed.  The bed/mattress will need to be flat on the floor or picked up.  Also blocking areas behind bookcases or dressers.  Cats can squeeze into very small spaces.  The first day or two after the spay, she needs to stay calm and rest. 

It will be difficult to trap her again as once they learn about the trap, they know to avoid it.  Yet since she is not spayed you really do not have a choice.  If she gets injured she might come to you for help.

I would trap her ASAP.

catsoul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ShadowsRescue, your previous post was chillingly prophetic. The good news is I have the girl cat in the house! I saw her on top of the fence (feline03, yes they walk on top of the fence, she often did this to get out of the snow). She let me approach her slowly and she let me pet her and was rubbing up against my hand. She let me pick her up from the top of the fence and bring her in the house without issue a few hours ago. What a relief. She will be warm tonight, yay!

I think something is wrong with her though, she doesn't look good and did not have the best footing, but I'm not sure. Frostbite? I don't see any obvious injuries though. She has been behind my couch and is resting, does not want to eat yet and did not want to eat outside today. It's just me in the house so it's quiet down there with light music playing.

My indoor cat does not like her. He had no issue with the black feral I brought in last month, but I think it's because she's long haired and white; I think it's because he's lived with only black cats the past 15 years. I need to get her in the spare bedroom so my cat can roam the house freely and she can feel safer out of the living room. Strange, I'm afraid to pick her up, don't know why. Need to do it tomorrow because I work Monday and don't want my cat to be locked in the bedroom. Any thoughts how to best handle this?

Also, how can I tell if she has frostbite...will my vet be able to tell? What do I need to be looking for? She is sitting and standing fine. I will be bringing her to get spayed at a clinic when she's calmer, and I have no plans to let her back out, at least not until spring. Maybe they can tell about her general health at the same time? Any advice is welcome.

The irony...I traveled the 20 miles to that clinic today to help get my trap set up right because I couldn't figure it out, and then I come home and pick her up with no trap needed. :)

catsoul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An update...she went into a spare bedroom by herself, thank goodness, so that problem is resolved. She ate a little too, and showed some interest in playing while under the bed. I used a reed type toy, and she watched it with interest but did not swat it. Her paws are tucked under her. I still have concerns about her paws and frostbite but I can't check right now. Not sure what I'd be looking for anyway.

catsoul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One last thought. Now that I captured the girl cat, is it possible the other male black cat,, if he's still alive, will use the shelter she used? I don't understand why he did not the shelter too since they have a bond. I feel that making a shelter large enough for 2 or 3 was not enough, as he did not use it and only she did. Should I have made a second shelter elsewhere?  

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

ShadowsRescue, your previous post was chillingly prophetic. The good news is I have the girl cat in the house! I saw her on top of the fence (feline03, yes they walk on top of the fence, she often did this to get out of the snow). She let me approach her slowly and she let me pet her and was rubbing up against my hand. She let me pick her up from the top of the fence and bring her in the house without issue a few hours ago. What a relief. She will be warm tonight, yay!

I think something is wrong with her though, she doesn't look good and did not have the best footing, but I'm not sure. Frostbite? I don't see any obvious injuries though. She has been behind my couch and is resting, does not want to eat yet and did not want to eat outside today. It's just me in the house so it's quiet down there with light music playing.

My indoor cat does not like her. He had no issue with the black feral I brought in last month, but I think it's because she's long haired and white; I think it's because he's lived with only black cats the past 15 years. I need to get her in the spare bedroom so my cat can roam the house freely and she can feel safer out of the living room. Strange, I'm afraid to pick her up, don't know why. Need to do it tomorrow because I work Monday and don't want my cat to be locked in the bedroom. Any thoughts how to best handle this?

Also, how can I tell if she has frostbite...will my vet be able to tell? What do I need to be looking for? She is sitting and standing fine. I will be bringing her to get spayed at a clinic when she's calmer, and I have no plans to let her back out, at least not until spring. Maybe they can tell about her general health at the same time? Any advice is welcome.

The irony...I traveled the 20 miles to that clinic today to help get my trap set up right because I couldn't figure it out, and then I come home and pick her up with no trap needed. :)
I am glad you were able to get her inside.  The cats I have seen with frostbite have black edges around their extremities.  You can look for images on the internet.  As long as it is not server, it will clear up. 

Please keep her away from your indoor cats.  You do not know what viruses or parasites she might have.  Just keep her in her own room.  She appears to be a stray since she allowed you to pick her up.  This too is a good sign as she might adapt well to indoor living.

When you take her to the vet, I would do the spay and exam all at once.  It's much less stressful on the cat to get it all done at once. 

Also if you plan to keep her inside and have her interact with your other cat(s), please read up on cat to cat introductions.  I can provide some articles if needed.  You might want to start a separate post on this topic.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

One last thought. Now that I captured the girl cat, is it possible the other male black cat,, if he's still alive, will use the shelter she used? I don't understand why he did not the shelter too since they have a bond. I feel that making a shelter large enough for 2 or 3 was not enough, as he did not use it and only she did. Should I have made a second shelter elsewhere?  
Some cats prefer their own space.  Since she is inside now, he might choose to use it, but since it now smells like her, he might not.  It wouldn't hurt to get a rubbermaid and stuff it with straw and place it in a different location.  Be sure that you have having an exit and entrance.  Most cats prefer an escape route and won't use a shelter if they feel they can be trapped inside.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
@catsoul  Frostbite looks like a burn, it's red at first and then turns darker red-purple and the skin starts to peel. Severe frostbite goes black. This means the skin is dead and usually has to be amputated. Unless she's been standing on something frozen and has been unable to move (Trapped in a drainpipe for example) it's unlikely that she'll have such bad frostbite on her paws, it's usually the tips on the ears that get affected.

Good luck at the vet.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So happy you got her in! She's definitely a stray -not a feral-as a feral would never allow you to pick her up like that-but that's great!!!! Chances are she's a previously owned kitty who was dumped or lost. So glad you can now really make a difference for her!but please please please don't allow her around your kitty till she's been completely cet checked. It's highly probable she does at least have works (don't panic - very treatable-but not something you need to have passed to your other kitty). And it's possible she could have something worse (but hopefully -& probably-not) like FIP, and you definitely don't want anything like that transmitted to your previous kitty. Know I'm not trying to scare you in the slightest - but I've worked in shelters long enough to know that even cats that appear healthy can possibly have something transmittable, so it doesn't make sense to take the risk. Particularly since you have an easy way to comfortably keep Her separate until she's checked out, spayed, etc. Plus she's actually probably more comfortable for the moment (until she's acclimated) in her own private space.

Keep us posted on both of them! Definitely want to hear how she does at the vet!

catsoul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the good vibes. All is going great for girl kitty. She has no interest in going out, already attached to me, does not hide at all and constantly wants belly rubs, plays up a storm with me. Not at all the cat I saw outside, she would not let me get near her since last spring. Still can't believe she let me pick her up, she was too cold to fight anymore I think. Good news is, although she has not been checked at the vet yet (her spay and check up are coming up) I don't think she has frostbite issues.

Kittychick, unfortunately my cat had two outdoor fights with this new cat in the last several months, so contact has already occurred. So I'm a little nervous come check up time, but I still keep them apart for additional safety.

Still pining for my black boy, more snow coming tonight, Single digit temps. At least now if I see paw prints in the snow, I'll know who the belong to since the girl kitty is in. I saw some prints in the yard on Sunday after the girl came in the house, so I have some hope still that he's OK. I made him another separate shelter in hopes he will use it if he's around.

Feline03, have you seen your Blackie yet?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks for all the good vibes. All is going great for girl kitty. She has no interest in going out, already attached to me, does not hide at all and constantly wants belly rubs, plays up a storm with me. Not at all the cat I saw outside, she would not let me get near her since last spring. Still can't believe she let me pick her up, she was too cold to fight anymore I think. Good news is, although she has not been checked at the vet yet (her spay and check up are coming up) I don't think she has frostbite issues.

Kittychick, unfortunately my cat had two outdoor fights with this new cat in the last several months, so contact has already occurred. So I'm a little nervous come check up time, but I still keep them apart for additional safety.

Still pining for my black boy, more snow coming tonight, Single digit temps. At least now if I see paw prints in the snow, I'll know who the belong to since the girl kitty is in. I saw some prints in the yard on Sunday after the girl came in the house, so I have some hope still that he's OK. I made him another separate shelter in hopes he will use it if he's around.

Feline03, have you seen your Blackie yet?
Thanks for the update.  I am glad she is doing so well.  Hopefully the vet check and spay is soon and all goes well.  Thank you for helping her.

@feline03 please check in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is hopefully the end of the frigid winter weather in my area. We had snow yesterday and it was -8 this AM, but according to the extended forecasts, after tomorrow morning it shouldn't get below 20 degrees again this season, and we'll have an 8-9 month break from all this winter drama. I'm thankful and fortunate that my feral, Muffin, has stayed close to home this entire time and has been content to hunker down in his pet house on my porch and sun bathe around my house when the sun's been out. He hasn't gotten sick or injured this winter. My biggest problem now is keeping the starlings out of his food bowl. There is a lot of snow on the ground and even though I feed the birds, they're desperate for more food.

Has the worse of the winter weather ended for all of you? How are your ferals?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @MsAimee  It's still snowing here. I went down to visit the feral colony that people in my old neighbourhood feed last night and found all 7 of them waiting in the garage that they sleep in and one of the ex-colony members in a barn with 4 of the other farmyard cats. There is now only one cat in that colony that hasn't been seen for a few months. I try to walk further and further every time I go down to see them in the hope of finding her somewhere. She's been spayed and has lived outdoors for all of her 5 years. I hope she's still around somewhere.

When I got home the ginger feral tom cat was waiting for me. First time he's ever done that! He got some cooked chicken and a bowl of dry food. I hope he keeps coming back.

@feline03  I hope no news is good news. Please check in whenever you can.