We took in a cat for a friend who ended up having kittens but we dont want her to get them, do we ha

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Does she think she can sell the kittens ?  Serous you would be surprised at the mentality of some humans.
Hmmm, this is a more likely answer why she wants them back.  Which makes me shudder.  Actually though, selling them is better than giving them away "free, to a good home".  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anafeicht

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the kittens to nurse. Not optimal for anyone but better than handing them over. I might have got the age of the kittens wrong.
Your other option is to call AC on them and report the abuse. What kind of vet care did she provide her kitten that got sick and died ? What did it die of ? You may or may not win in court. Depends on how willing the original owner is to be honest and tell why she left you with the cat and why she is now able to care for it. I would tell she can have the cat back when she reports her uncle for abusing it. While companion animals are considered property it's not out of a judges reach to decide you now own the cat. However your actual financial status over hers would have little bearing. Also necessary vet bills would be her responsibility if she wants to pursue the claim. If she files a small claim you can countersue.
You could try making an offer to buy the cat and include the kittens.
I advise before you hand over the cat or kittens that you speak to an attorney. yeah I know costing you more money. It comes under the No Good Deed Goes Unpunished clause.
Oh, yes that would be better than nothing. They were three weeks old this Monday.
And I'm not sure about the two before but she said they died of FKS and the one now she didnt say what it was just that the only treatment for it is surgery that is expensive and they said it would probably die during anyway so theyre putting it down.
And I'll try offering to buy them, id never thought about that but id be more than happy to.
And I was planning to talk to an attorney anyway so its fine. Money isnt much compared to them being okay.
And she apparently already lied to the police when she went to the department and had them call my boyfriend. He heard the officer repeat what he had said to her and she replied and the officer said that wasnt what she had told him before(not sure what she lied about exactly since he couldnt hear what she said to the officer) so I'm sure shes willing to lie about it.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Hmmm, this is a more likely answer why she wants them back.  Which makes me shudder.  Actually though, selling them is better than giving them away "free, to a good home".  
It could be as simple as the cats are her comfort in an abusive situation.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes that would be better than nothing. They were three weeks old this Monday.
And I'm not sure about the two before but she said they died of FKS and the one now she didnt say what it was just that the only treatment for it is surgery that is expensive and they said it would probably die during anyway so theyre putting it down.
And I'll try offering to buy them, id never thought about that but id be more than happy to.
And I was planning to talk to an attorney anyway so its fine. Money isnt much compared to them being okay.
And she apparently already lied to the police when she went to the department and had them call my boyfriend. He heard the officer repeat what he had said to her and she replied and the officer said that wasnt what she had told him before(not sure what she lied about exactly since he couldnt hear what she said to the officer) so I'm sure shes willing to lie about it.
It's always best to talk to a lawyer and understand your rights before negotiating with her or talking to the police again. You only have the upper hand while you have physical possession of them. Animal laws are all over the place from city to city and state.

Wanted to add. As tempting as it might be to claim she gave you the cat there is probably something in the texts or what your husband said that would disprove that. The lack of visitation might be a case for abandonment.

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd seriously consider stashing mama and kittens if it looks like the cops will get involved. You know, with family or friends a hundred miles away. They'd be better off with trusted family or friends than with her, although, to give her a little credit, at least she recognized things were not going well for the cat enough for her to break down and get the cat out of there. But frankly, she sounds like she has her own set of problems she should concentrate on for awhile. Cats are expensive, and can add stress if you lack the money to care for them.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I'd seriously consider stashing mama and kittens if it looks like the cops will get involved. You know, with family or friends a hundred miles away. They'd be better off with trusted family or friends than with her, although, to give her a little credit, at least she recognized things were not going well for the cat enough for her to break down and get the cat out of there. But frankly, she sounds like she has her own set of problems she should concentrate on for awhile. Cats are expensive, and can add stress if you lack the money to care for them.
Well if they were out of the jurisdiction of the court she choose, in theory only she could only recover the value of the cat(s). Which would be whatever the adoption fee at the shelter is.

Again that's a question to ask an attorney. Who will likely answer it in theory.

anafeicht

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she think she can sell the kittens ?  Serous you would be surprised at the mentality of some humans.
Maybe, she said two of her friends wanted one and the officer my boyfriend talked to wanted us to keep one and give the other three to her when theyre weaned but to talk to me about it first and work it out with her. I said no of course because we already have homes for two of them and then the one we plan to keep, but I did tell her that if she would sign my contract that would allow me to take the kitten back if it was shown it was being neglected or in an unsafe environment and a bunch of other stuff like that she can't give it away or sell it or anything like that and I told her she would have to wait until it was fixed as well and she didnt respond to that at all. When she asked before what we were doing with them and we told her we were going to have a contract and make the people wait until theyre fixed she never replied and then my boyfriend got the call from the police department yesterday. I told her again that if she would sign it she could have one after theyre fixed and she didnt say anything to that either.

anafeicht

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive definitely been thinking about it actually lol and yes, theres that but she does have some issues with being able to simply keep her cats alive and that alone should be enough for her to realize she shouldnt have more.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe, she said two of her friends wanted one and the officer my boyfriend talked to wanted us to keep one and give the other three to her when theyre weaned but to talk to me about it first and work it out with her. I said no of course because we already have homes for two of them and then the one we plan to keep, but I did tell her that if she would sign my contract that would allow me to take the kitten back if it was shown it was being neglected or in an unsafe environment and a bunch of other stuff like that she can't give it away or sell it or anything like that and I told her she would have to wait until it was fixed as well and she didnt respond to that at all. When she asked before what we were doing with them and we told her we were going to have a contract and make the people wait until theyre fixed she never replied and then my boyfriend got the call from the police department yesterday. I told her again that if she would sign it she could have one after theyre fixed and she didnt say anything to that either.
I'd pull up an adoption contract from a local rescue and take a look at it. Lawyer too. If it's legal and reasonable ask the rescue if you can use their form.

It's important to remember that she may actually care in her own way about them. Appealing to that side is often successful in reaching a solution. In fact bending the ear of a well established cat rescue might be a good idea. They might even be willing to help in the adoptions. Even hers.

anafeicht

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's always best to talk to a lawyer and understand your rights before negotiating with her or talking to the police again. You only have the upper hand while you have physical possession of them. Animal laws are all over the place from city to city and state.
Wanted to add. As tempting as it might be to claim she gave you the cat there is probably something in the texts or what your husband said that would disprove that. The lack of visitation might be a case for abandonment.
I will. And she did but said she may want her back one day and then when it was almost time to give birth started saying it was always supposed to be temporary and has stuck to that but also veered off to saying we stole her and won't give her back. We even had a friend contact us asking about it and then say," oh, she made it seem like you just took them and wouldnt give them back".

And its only been about 3 1/2 months with her visiting once after a little over two months of us having her, would that count as that?

anafeicht

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd pull up an adoption contract from a local rescue and take a look at it. Lawyer too. If it's legal and reasonable ask the rescue if you can use their form.
It's important to remember that she may actually care in her own way about them. Appealing to that side is often successful in reaching a solution. In fact bending the ear of a well established cat rescue might be a good idea. They might even be willing to help in the adoptions. Even hers.
Ive looked at a few and plan to have a lawyer look at it before I use it.
And I've tried saying things like how here they'd always come first because we dont have kids like she does(one of her excuses for not getting her fixed was her baby got sick) and just trying to reason with her that its best for her to stay here until the kittens are old enough because of stress and stuff and she just doesnt seem to care.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact she only said she "may" one day want the cat back is very telling, to me. That, to me, is not sounding like any kind of *reasonable expectation* that the arrangement was temporary, and trust me, that's the kind of language that is used in the courts.

In my opinion, nobody who loves their cat places them into a temporary fostering arrangement without a contract.

Last edited:

anafeicht

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Which may be so.  But all the more reason not to return a cat to that type of environment.  
I agree, I can see why theyd be a comfort and why she would want them back if that were so but it still isnt good for them

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Ive looked at a few and plan to have a lawyer look at it before I use it.
And I've tried saying things like how here they'd always come first because we dont have kids like she does(one of her excuses for not getting her fixed was her baby got sick) and just trying to reason with her that its best for her to stay here until the kittens are old enough because of stress and stuff and she just doesnt seem to care.
Something is driving this. She has a high pet mortality rate. These cats would likely follow. Like I said talk to an attorney before speaking to her or the police again. I can't speak for you but if the police came to the door I'd claim she abandoned the cat and only wants her back now because of the kittens.  She may back down over the idea you're seeing an attorney. It may make her more willing to negotiate.  I feel so bad for you and horrible for the cat who now has a stable home.

I was so scared the first week we had Mercy. she was owner surrendered at the city shelter for being aggressive. All we could think is what if they change their mind. I had her home before the ink on their surrender papers was dry. They would have needed a search warrant and a swat team to take her back. I sort of get the range of emotions you're feeling about this. You have taken care of this cat as if it were your own and watched those kittens start to grow up. They don't need to go where they'll be abused or neglected. Thank you for being there.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It really sounds to me like this has become a control issue on your friend's part - you are "taking" something that "belongs" to her.  She may genuinely care for mama on one level, but she doesn't seem capable of seeing that truly loving the cat and kittens would mean letting them stay with you.

The business about the abusive uncle still being in the house would be enough for me to put my foot down and refuse to return this sweet girl to an environment where she could very well be harmed.  You already know she was neglected there.  When you first took mama in, and your friend said she might want her back some day, didn't she say that day would be when the uncle was no longer around?  Well, the uncle is still in the picture.  

Without being a lawyer, it seems to me you have a very good case for keeping the kittens and keeping Mama until they are 8 to 12 weeks.  Things are a bit iffier when it comes to keeping Mama long term.  I think she is worth fighting for, however, and I hope your boyfriend will see that as well.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

It really sounds to me like this has become a control issue on your friend's part - you are "taking" something that "belongs" to her.  She may genuinely care for mama on one level, but she doesn't seem capable of seeing that truly loving the cat and kittens would mean letting them stay with you.

The business about the abusive uncle still being in the house would be enough for me to put my foot down and refuse to return this sweet girl to an environment where she could very well be harmed.  You already know she was neglected there.  When you first took mama in, and your friend said she might want her back some day, didn't she say that day would be when the uncle was no longer around?  Well, the uncle is still in the picture.  

Without being a lawyer, it seems to me you have a very good case for keeping the kittens and keeping Mama until they are 8 to 12 weeks.  Things are a bit iffier when it comes to keeping Mama long term.  I think she is worth fighting for, however, and I hope your boyfriend will see that as well.
I was looking for those words. Control Issues. 

anafeicht

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Something is driving this. She has a high pet mortality rate. These cats would likely follow. Like I said talk to an attorney before speaking to her or the police again. I can't speak for you but if the police came to the door I'd claim she abandoned the cat and only wants her back now because of the kittens.  She may back down over the idea you're seeing an attorney. It may make her more willing to negotiate.  I feel so bad for you and horrible for the cat who now has a stable home.
I was so scared the first week we had Mercy. she was owner surrendered at the city shelter for being aggressive. All we could think is what if they change their mind. I had her home before the ink on their surrender papers was dry. They would have needed a search warrant and a swat team to take her back. I sort of get the range of emotions you're feeling about this. You have taken care of this cat as if it were your own and watched those kittens start to grow up. They don't need to go where they'll be abused or neglected. Thank you for being there.
Yes I'm just wondering what it is.
And they will definitely have to have a warrant and even then itll be over my dead body.

anafeicht

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That really may be what it is.
And it wad implied that he would be gone and not able to be near her but I suppose they feel like having a locked door on another level of the house is good enough.
But just that they allowed her to be mistreated is enough for me to say they shouldnt have her or them. But if it comes to it I'll take just getting to keep the kittens, but I will definitely be reporting her to make sure she doesnt get to just do whatever she wants with her again.